Irelands Slurry Problem

Started by thedice, April 19, 2023, 09:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedice

Anyone else notice in the last ~10 years the massive proliferation in slurry spreading in Ireland!! Some of the rig outs and apparatus seem excessive

Met a fast trak with 6 axel slurry tank up a wee bye road there

Might explain the house fly explosion too ....all the chicken shite and pig shite

Gmac

Quote from: thedice on April 19, 2023, 09:48:08 PM
Anyone else notice in the last ~10 years the massive proliferation in slurry spreading in Ireland!! Some of the rig outs and apparatus seem excessive

Met a fast trak with 6 axel slurry tank up a wee bye road there

Might explain the house fly explosion too ....all the chicken shite and pig shite
often wondered about this and households with private wells on the other side of a ditch from a field that gets slurry every few days , can't be good

J70

And wet weather washing much of it into rivers and lakes.

I remember one summer as a young lad when it was so wet that you couldn't put a machine near the land. Wasn't something we normally did, but we had to park on the lane and pump the slurry over the hedge at the top of our longest hilly field and hope that at least most of it would soak in before it got to the stream at the bottom of the hill.

Orior

We've been spreading dung on fields since the start of the 19th century.

Cow manure is fine.
Pig manure is not so nice.
Hen manure is the worst!

Anyway, several small dung spreaders and slurry spreaders has been replaced by one big muther-fooker slurry spreader.

So I reckon it is the same amount of dung, just concentrated into a less days spreading.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

marty34

I think there's a rule where farmers are not allowed to put out alurry within so many meters from a water course.  Not sure what the exact distance is.

The key question is how is this policed out deep in the countryside.

Keyser soze

That's all this board needed, a thread dedicated to talking shite!

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: Keyser soze on April 20, 2023, 09:16:33 AM

Worse than that. Talking shite about shite. A 6 axel slurry tanker!! PMSL

Last Man

Give the farmers a break I say, its the way it is because we want cheap food and the farmers have to do whatever they can in terms of efficiency to protect their livelyhoods. Regenerative models would help matters but the market can't live with the price of it. Wouldn't have a bad word said about farmers, they are the backbone of the country.

trailer

Plenty of regulations around slurry. Feel free to read up on them, all dictated to us from Brussels!

NAG1

Quote from: Last Man on April 20, 2023, 10:21:50 AM
Give the farmers a break I say, its the way it is because we want cheap food and the farmers have to do whatever they can in terms of efficiency to protect their livelyhoods. Regenerative models would help matters but the market can't live with the price of it. Wouldn't have a bad word said about farmers, they are the backbone of the country.

No such thing any more. Not blaming farmers themselves for this but it has gone to a crazy level.

johnnycool

Quote from: NAG1 on April 20, 2023, 10:41:57 AM
Quote from: Last Man on April 20, 2023, 10:21:50 AM

No such thing any more. Not blaming farmers themselves for this but it has gone to a crazy level.

Farmers are being screwed over by the food producers, abattoirs and the likes.
They've no real choice.

sensethetone

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on April 20, 2023, 10:13:45 AM

A photo of the 6 axel tanker would have been appreciated.

trueblue1234

Quote from: sensethetone on April 20, 2023, 11:03:37 AM
Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on April 20, 2023, 10:13:45 AM

A photo of the 6 axel tanker would have been appreciated.

I'd imagine it was 3 axle 6 wheeler. Tho the more wheels the better the shape the fecking fields have been in!!
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: trailer on April 20, 2023, 10:39:00 AM
Plenty of regulations around slurry. Feel free to read up on them, all dictated to us from Brussels!

100%. Slurry spreading is now dictated by a fixed set of dates during an open and closed (banned) season. The closed season is over the winter months. Typically what you'll find is that by the time January comes slurry pits are near overflowing as farmers don't have the capacity to store this and during spells of dry weather over the closed season they cannot spread to free up storage. Then when the slurry ban lifts which there are slightly different dates depending on what part of the country you are in, it is hell for leather to try and get slurry spread even during wet weather which is exactly the reason the Eu doesn't want farmers spreading slurry during winter months. This is also why you find the equipment is getting bigger and bigger so more work can be done in a shorter window of opportunity. They whole thing is crazy.