Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopdog

It would be a massive result to beat them on Saturday night. But it's highly unlikely. They've played at a higher level for a few years now. But to look at the task ahead of Laverty you just need to look at the job McGeeney has had to do in Armagh. He was 5 years in thr job before he got a win in Ulster. They've jad no underage success to build from yet he has them now competitive with anyone on the island. Are thry contenders for an All Irealnd? Probably not, but I know we would love to be as competitive as they are in a couple of years time.  I laugh when I hear some Armagh people calling for mcgeeney to go. Be careful what you wish for. 

Ed Hardy

Any reports from last nights games? Ballyholland had good win away to Kilcoo...

Best of luck to Down today, here's hoping for a big upset!

Mourne Red

Bar that blip at St John's, Saul started the season very well - Few big wins

Targetman

John Mc Govern doesn't even make the squad today, i know he played a club game last night, surely he should be included!

Ed Hardy

Quote from: Targetman on April 27, 2024, 04:19:03 PMJohn Mc Govern doesn't even make the squad today, i know he played a club game last night, surely he should be included!

He's maybe playing for Newry today. Shame, he's some potential like.

Nanderson

Disappointed with the defeat in the end. Laverty went in with a plan that ultimatley frustrated Armagh thorughout the game but failure to get tight on Rian O'Neill for the middle 20 minutes of the match and easy free's given away for Grugan to tap over plus failure to take our own good chances (Havern missed free and Laverty mark at the end) cost us. I have to say I'm annoyed that the last kick of the game was left to a 20 year old to shoulder the responsability. Would have liked to have seen Kerr step up or maybe Ryan J who had a good game have a go. We really lack a ball winning forward and two elite free takers to get us over the line in these tighter games.

On a finishing note, hope Barry's injury isn't an aggrevation of his previous injury. Certainly looked in discomfort straight away. Wish him all the best in recovery.

Johnnysboys

If anyone leaving Clones today thinking that was a tactical masterclass - they need their heads read. 15 men behind the ball, people picking up zonal spaces, continuously giving away free kicks, inability to hit free kicks in scorable positions. Very frustrating to watch some of our best players sitting on the line so we can put in more defensive options. Barry is hopefully not as bad as he appeared.

downtothecore

If anyone leaves clones today thinking we haven't progressed in the last 2 years then they need their head read.

guevara

Quote from: downtothecore on April 27, 2024, 08:27:33 PMIf anyone leaves clones today thinking we haven't progressed in the last 2 years then they need their head read.

If that is progress then we are doomed. Two very fortunate goals kept us in it.

An intercounty player who can't kick the ball over the bar from 25 metres out summed it up.

Having the ball on yheir '21 and going back to our goalkeeper when we were behind. We can't kick pass and are petrified of making a mistake.
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

sdg

Beat by 1 or beat by 10, still BEAT

downtothecore

Quote from: sdg on April 27, 2024, 08:41:36 PMBeat by 1 or beat by 10, still BEAT
We were expected to get beat by 10 by most people and we should have won and in the process gave our biggest rivals a reality check..their footballers are no better than ours. Next year we can fully expect to turn them over.

One life one club

Some amount of negativity, everyone expected Armagh to come out and make little boys of Down today. They didn't. We were unlucky in the end . Laverty messed up with the mark, looked defeated before he even kicked the ball. Down have been progressing well under Conor guidance, long may it continue

SHEEDY

Let's guess the people spouting crap on here weren't even in clones today. The management had a plan in place to beat a top team and it nearly came off. A few missed chances proved costly in the end, but the players gave everything.

Maybe if a few more 'supporters' had turned up to get behind the team and lift them in the last minutes the way the Armagh fans did it might have got us over the line.

nil satis nisi optimum

Mourne Red

Would have been critical off the first half but seeing how we played in second half was clear then that Plan was to frustrate Armagh and keep the tempo of the game slow to then hit them with pace and runners in the 2nd half I.e what happened when Kerr and Magill came on.

Would like to see us kick the ball a bit more, felt like we good have broke quicker on Armagh when the pass was on. But there's been a definite improvement under Laverty

sdg

Quote from: downtothecore on April 27, 2024, 08:57:47 PM
Quote from: sdg on April 27, 2024, 08:41:36 PMBeat by 1 or beat by 10, still BEAT
We were expected to get beat by 10 by most people and we should have won and in the process gave our biggest rivals a reality check..their footballers are no better than ours. Next year we can fully expect to turn them over.

So what way is he going set up to beat them next year?  Who said armagh were any good or a top team, I'm afraid like Down hadn't got it to win a big game