The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zooming around

Quote from: redsetanta on July 14, 2021, 11:01:18 AM
Beaten by KK by 14 points in the minor round robin in 2018.

Good to see that we've improved through the age groups which is a good sign.

U'20 grade is far more important for transition to senior.

Pity they couldn't get the win. It would have been a mighty boost for hurling.

There are some great groups coming through, of which the current 20s are the first. Pity that two of those groups were destroyed by one man at minor. Hopefully we can rebuild them with good coaching at u20 and senior. The future is definitely encouraging. 

SpeculativeEffort

Couldnt watch the u20 game last week. Is it online anywhere?

redsetanta

I see Portlaoise took an unmerciful beating from the Harps in U15A hurling. 18-20 to 2-01.

Has a Portlaoise team at any grade ever taking such a beating.

If alarm bells weren't ringing in Laois gaa circles then they should be ringing loud and clear now.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

burdizzo

Harps are going to win that championship very easily. No one has got closer than 20 points to them, and they've also had a couple of 40+ point winning margins. Also, Portlaoise aren't strong at that age grade, but more or less found themselves in the 'A' because they were in a weak enough preliminary group, albeit one including Mountrath, who beat them 11-15 to 1-2. I'd imagine the final will be between Harps and Mountrath (or possibly Abbeyleix), with Harps winning by at least 15 points.

Of COURSE, Portlaoise should be doing a lot better, but at u15 Borris, Camross, and Ballacolla are all weak, and in the 'B' championship. And I think Portlaoise are reasonably good at minor level. Hard to be wonderful all the time!

Ballyroan Abbey

They have a pick of a 3rd of the population to themselves, if they had serious competition for players from another club in the town it would force them to improve their standards of coaching and player retention, as it is they are at best coasting along
You look in Kildare and Naas who is a simular albeit slightly smaller town with one club dominating leagues in Kilkenny or in a bad year very competitive, meanwhile Portlaoise are playing in B competitions regularly these days

clonadmad

Quote from: burdizzo on August 05, 2021, 02:54:59 PM
Harps are going to win that championship very easily. No one has got closer than 20 points to them, and they've also had a couple of 40+ point winning margins. Also, Portlaoise aren't strong at that age grade, but more or less found themselves in the 'A' because they were in a weak enough preliminary group, albeit one including Mountrath, who beat them 11-15 to 1-2. I'd imagine the final will be between Harps and Mountrath (or possibly Abbeyleix), with Harps winning by at least 15 points.

Of COURSE, Portlaoise should be doing a lot better, but at u15 Borris, Camross, and Ballacolla are all weak, and in the 'B' championship. And I think Portlaoise are reasonably good at minor level. Hard to be wonderful all the time!

Comparing Portlaoise to the likes of small rural clubs is muddying the water at best and disingenuous at worst

Camross have a good crop at minor this year and will be better again next year when those lads are at the age
Ballacolla are competitive and will have lads to feed into the adult set up in time
Borris are struggling at u15 and 13 and 11 but they have a good few lads of 17/18/19 coming in their ranks at adult, they arent caught for numbers at juvenile and they will come good in time.

you are going to have that with rural clubs when you get a good crop in a particular age bracket and you bring them through

You should have a good crop every year with Portlaoise given the size of the parish and the resources available.

Portlaoise should have a team in every division in every age grade and in both codes up and including u17.

instead you got mauled in the u15 last night,you don't have a second lower division u15 team as you don't have the numbers

your u13 first team are already headed for the B with a round to play,

your second u13 team won 1 game on the field of play and are in the C and your minors,I cant see pulling up any trees this year either,given that ye have been yo yoing between A and B for the past few years at that age grade.

While the Harps are favorites, I fancy the winners of Abbeyleix and Mountrath to give them a game in the final.

clonadmad

Something that could be replicated here,if there was a will

Play in either Kk or Tipp leagues

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1242554/?__twitter_impression=true

burdizzo

It has been done. The Harps used to play in KK leagues, and Clonad did it a while ago, possibly at u14.  Maybe some others, too? But, no - no one currently.

Oh, re. your previous post - I see Portlaoise minors are 'pulling up trees' in their championship, beating R/E by 25 points, or something. Yeah, but just to pick up, I don't think R/E, B/K or even Camross can be described as 'small rural clubs'. They have big areas. A 'small rural club' is Trumera, Colt, Ballyfin, etc.

By the way, I'm not a Portlaoiser, either. But I do know they only had a couple of 15 year olds on their u15s. Most will be that age again next year. Not saying they'll pull up trees then, either. Heh!

But I think a lot of the problem in Portlaoise is that hurling doesn't get much of a look-in in the schools, and the CBS doesn't take it seriously at all.

Spiritof1915

Quote from: burdizzo on August 24, 2021, 06:13:47 PM
It has been done. The Harps used to play in KK leagues, and Clonad did it a while ago, possibly at u14.  Maybe some others, too? But, no - no one currently.

Oh, re. your previous post - I see Portlaoise minors are 'tearing up trees' (a phrase you edited out!) in their championship, beating R/E by 25 points, or something. Yeah, but just to pick up, I don't think R/E, B/K or even Camross can be described as 'small rural clubs'. They have big areas. A 'small rural club' is Trumera, Colt, Ballyfin, etc.

By the way, I'm not a Portlaoiser, either. But I do know they only had a couple of 15 year olds on their u15s. Most will be that age again next year. Not saying they'll tear up trees then, either. Heh!

But I think a lot of the problem in Portlaoise is that hurling doesn't get much of a look-in in the schools, and the CBS doesn't take it seriously at all.

Harps played in kilkenny league this year and have done for 10 years +. I agree portlaoise have a real problem. They have 3 or 4 players to the age at u15 level. How is this allowed happened. The sooner some form of action group is set up within portlaoise gaa club the better.

Silkyskillssunshinee

Good win for Port in the u15 b hurling final at the weekend. Couple of very nice players on their team. It would be great if there was a competitive Portarlington adult team in the future as they would have a decent pick for a town their size.

burdizzo

Yes, they have a couple of very good lads, one of whom was injured for most of the summer. I'd say if he was available to them early in the year, they'd have been hurling in the 'A' championship. They seem determined to bring this group right on to adult, though whether the football club will allow it remains to be seen.

clonadmad

The u13 and u15 competitions are excellent in that you find your level in either the A or the B competitions by playing games in the preliminary group stages

Everyone gets 3 games with the top 2 in each group going to the top 8 in the A and bottom 2 going to be one of 8 teams in the B.

Everyone finds their level and there's no messing with grading in the boardroom

It's all done on the field of play

burdizzo

Actually, there's only 6 in the U15'B', but you're right - this is an excellent way of sorting the men from the boys (!), shall we say! Credit to the juvenile board! Mountrath, for example used to hide in the 'B' championships and pick up handy titles, when this new system shows they're well able for the 'A' standard: this year they got to the u15 'A' final, albeit well beaten by The Harps.

On another note, the Feile hurling finals are on tonight. This year it's u15, and the 'A' semi-finals are Rathdowney/ Errill v Raheen Parish Gaels, and Park-Ratheniska/ Timahoe v The Harps.  I expect an RPG v Harps final.

Laois man

Are Mountrath not in the Sfinal?

burdizzo

Yes. Sorry, the weird system of seperating teams led to some confusion! Mountrath got through instead of Park-Ratheniska.
Harps beat Mountrath in the final.
Castletown beating Port. in B final.