The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: screenexile on May 11, 2021, 11:40:35 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on May 11, 2021, 11:19:50 PM
Why does Rory get such a negative response from some individuals here?

Good old fashioned begrudgery
I have to admit as someone who has been negative about McIlroy in the past (not that he would give a sh*t anyway), I have actually come to respect him for his honest and open response in interviews, not least on the golf super league and his frustrations with his game. Anyone who plays golf regularly at any level can relate to his woes and those of Speith. Whilst I will never be a fan it is good to see his recovery.

JimStynes

My golf game is in tatters at the minute. Not sure if there is a more frustrating game than golf.

Applesisapples

Quote from: JimStynes on May 12, 2021, 02:06:44 PM
My golf game is in tatters at the minute. Not sure if there is a more frustrating game than golf.
Been there full year of shanking everything on the course. It drove me mad.

dec

Wrong sort of Catholic. He had a Norn Iron flag on his webpage at one point and supports the NI football team.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: dec on May 12, 2021, 02:33:22 PM

Wrong sort of Catholic. He had a Norn Iron flag on his webpage at one point and supports the NI football team.

He didn't grow up on the Falls rd, he didn't go to school there either, when you are a child you adopt to the life you have, your friends with school mates and neighbours. If you want to blame anyone for his choices in life I'd start with his parents

I've a few friends that their kids are into sports, soccer, netball and gymnastics and so on, for them representing NI is their only chance at achieving national recognition in their sport.

If you were a parent and your child was representing NI would you turn up and support them?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thebigfella

Mines great except my pitching/chipping is a tiny bit off, especially in tight lies. To be expected as had no good way to practice the shots during lockdown.

Found a bit extra swing speed during lockdown though which is nice  ;D

smelmoth

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 12, 2021, 02:45:33 PM

He didn't grow up on the Falls rd, he didn't go to school there either, when you are a child you adopt to the life you have, your friends with school mates and neighbours. If you want to blame anyone for his choices in life I'd start with his parents

I've a few friends that their kids are into sports, soccer, netball and gymnastics and so on, for them representing NI is their only chance at achieving national recognition in their sport.

If you were a parent and your child was representing NI would you turn up and support them?

It's depressing stuff.

Local lad supports local team is still shocking for some people. Sad really

JimStynes

Quote from: thebigfella on May 12, 2021, 04:24:39 PM

Mines great except my pitching/chipping is a tiny bit off, especially in tight lies. To be expected as had no good way to practice the shots during lockdown.

Found a bit extra swing speed during lockdown though which is nice  ;D

I need to get the finger out and start practising more. I am playing off 8 now and can't get away with just rocking up half an hour before my tee time on a Saturday anymore. I have only broke 80 once so far out of about 10 competitions. Played with my mate on the Monday evening and was 2 over for 18, my best score ever and then played 2 days later and shot 85 in a club comp. My chipping is really crap this year and last year it was probably the best part of my game. Lockdown has a lot to answer for. I think I need to buy a new driver, that'll fix everything.

Orior

Quote from: smelmoth on May 12, 2021, 04:38:19 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 12, 2021, 02:45:33 PM

It's depressing stuff.

Local lad supports local team is still shocking for some people. Sad really

Golf is organised on an all-Ireland basis. It was the GUI that helped nuture his talent (albeit in a small way). Yet there was a time when he appeared to yearn to play for GB, but Ireland. But that might have just been to wind up Poulter.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

thewobbler

The GUI had as much help in his development as I did.

JimStynes

Quote from: thewobbler on May 12, 2021, 06:59:30 PM

Did the GUI not have him at the development squads down at Carton House when he was a young fella? Maybe that wasn't a thing then.

screenexile

Quote from: JimStynes on May 12, 2021, 09:00:11 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on May 12, 2021, 06:59:30 PM

Did the GUI not have him at the development squads down at Carton House when he was a young fella? Maybe that wasn't a thing then.

He was representing GUI from 14.

thewobbler

If anyone genuinely believes that a talent as precocious as Rory McIlroy was fine-tuned by being partly housed by an administrative body for a few years, then I do despair.

Running the competitors that allows a player to compete does not make a player

JimStynes

Quote from: thewobbler on May 13, 2021, 12:01:23 AM
If anyone genuinely believes that a talent as precocious as Rory McIlroy was fine-tuned by being partly housed by an administrative body for a few years, then I do despair.

Running the competitors that allows a player to compete does not make a player

They bring the young talent down to Carton house and give them access to top class coaching etc. I agree he would probably have been a star either way but Irish golf has contributed to that in some shape or form. A few of the young ones in my club seem to be well looked after by the GUI.

Boycey

Good start for Power and Padraig in the US. We can all agree to shout for them? Good solid fellas, both went to the Olympics...