Fermanagh Football & Hurling

Started by Erne Gael, November 10, 2006, 10:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree with the new Summer League for Club teams?

Yes, gives the club players plenty of matches
23 (50%)
No, rather play challenge matches
4 (8.7%)
Waste of time, won't be taken seriously
19 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

inisceithleann

getting ready to head out to kinawley here for this afternoons double header. kinawley has a great pitch but there is no parking facilities worth talking about. the decision to play both games there seems a little strange. also tempo playing teemore in brookeboro doesn't really seem fair to teemore. i know enniskillen is the ideal half way between the two and that's not available but surely letting tempo playing so close to their own village doesn't seem right either.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

ExiledGael

Get the Championship results up as soon as you can, ay very small representation on here.
Donagh Newtown was a very poor game, Newtown lucky to survive as Donagh were truly awful in the second half, managing just one point from a free.
They'll not get a better chance to beat Newtown, especially as Ryan Carson (Blobby) went off injured early with a suspected broken collarbone (huge blow to their title hopes if confirmed).
No stand out performers but James Connolly probably man of the match.
On the plus side for Newtown they scraped through playing poor and know they can only get better, Blobby's a huge loss though, easily their best player all year, possibly the best in the league hera at the minute

boscomo

fermanagh friends what is the craic with Brewster Pk ? is it still under development? was a great pitch when i  played on it many years ago and i have seen some pics on the gaels website it is looking good.
is brendan dooris still playing, that man must be 108 by now.
if in doubt eat it

ExiledGael

Quote from: boscomo on July 29, 2007, 07:18:30 PM
fermanagh friends what is the craic with Brewster Pk ? is it still under development? was a great pitch when i  played on it many years ago and i have seen some pics on the gaels website it is looking good.

Not a clue who Brendan Dooris is but Brewster Park is still under development, bit of a joke really there have been 60,000 seater stadiums built quicker, and it's not as if the new ground is radically different!
Serious disadvantage to the county team all year

inisceithleann

The floodlights have been installed for months, but they have only sown the pitch in the last few weeks, there was some problem with it, not really sure what is was. We expect for the stadium to be up in running at the start of the NFL, so looks like Skea will get the county final. As for Brendy Dooris he hasn't played for a right few years, sure Chrissy Breen is in goals these days, but he's involved with the underage teams.

I was at all the quarter finals today. The Gaels were very very lucky to avoid defeat and derrygonnelly probably deserved it. A poor match with the harps using the wind well in the first half, but only scored 1 point in the second, and thus let the door open for ronan mccabe to get the goal and secure the draw. Replay in kinawley on friday night with a 7.30 throw in time.

The Skea V Brookeboro game was a another poor game of football with brookeboro by far the better team. They looked the more hungry of the two and played the better football. Their main player was Kieran Donnelly who got through a mountain of work and Niall Rooney took his scores well.

Tempo were outclassed by Teemore tonight, and the two goals meant Tempo were never in the contest but battled away bravely with their best players being the Keenan brothers. Teemore weren't pushed but Owens and the O'Reillys were very good throughout, so it's hard to tell how good they actually are. They play Brookeboro in the semi final so it'll be an intersting tie with Teemore being strong favourites.

boscomo

i know dooris hasnt played for years but was a great servent for the gaels for many a year, is it true that ollie mcshea is the new manager???? was a great player when i played up there and along with paul brewster, brendy dooris and raymie curran really helped me improove my game, but so did john murphy who was a great manager, alwys have a very soft spot for the boys up in enniskillen. indeed had my stag weekend up in the island town.
if in doubt eat it

ExiledGael

Quote from: inisceithleann on July 29, 2007, 09:03:34 PM

The floodlights have been installed for months, but they have only sown the pitch in the last few weeks, there was some problem with it, not really sure what is was. We expect for the stadium to be up in running at the start of the NFL, so looks like Skea will get the county final. As for Brendy Dooris he hasn't played for a right few years, sure Chrissy Breen is in goals these days, but he's involved with the underage teams.

I was at all the quarter finals today. The Gaels were very very lucky to avoid defeat and derrygonnelly probably deserved it. A poor match with the harps using the wind well in the first half, but only scored 1 point in the second, and thus let the door open for ronan mccabe to get the goal and secure the draw. Replay in kinawley on friday night with a 7.30 throw in time.

The Skea V Brookeboro game was a another poor game of football with brookeboro by far the better team. They looked the more hungry of the two and played the better football. Their main player was Kieran Donnelly who got through a mountain of work and Niall Rooney took his scores well.

Tempo were outclassed by Teemore tonight, and the two goals meant Tempo were never in the contest but battled away bravely with their best players being the Keenan brothers. Teemore weren't pushed but Owens and the O'Reillys were very good throughout, so it's hard to tell how good they actually are. They play Brookeboro in the semi final so it'll be an intersting tie with Teemore being strong favourites.

I'm guessing by what you said Skea were beat???
Two defeats in two years to division two teams in the Championship, not good

inisceithleann

Quote from: ExiledGael on July 29, 2007, 09:58:20 PM
Quote from: inisceithleann on July 29, 2007, 09:03:34 PM

I'm guessing by what you said Skea were beat???
Two defeats in two years to division two teams in the Championship, not good

Yeah skea were beaten, 1-9 to 1-4 i think was the final score. defeated by a div 2 team for the second year in a row isn't good and they only scrapped past devenish in the first round. long time since they last lifted the new york gold cup in 1994.

inisceithleann

Quote from: boscomo on July 29, 2007, 09:31:49 PM
i know dooris hasnt played for years but was a great servent for the gaels for many a year, is it true that ollie mcshea is the new manager???? was a great player when i played up there and along with paul brewster, brendy dooris and raymie curran really helped me improove my game, but so did john murphy who was a great manager, alwys have a very soft spot for the boys up in enniskillen. indeed had my stag weekend up in the island town.

yeah ollie mcshea is the manager this year with the brother donal assisting him. the three players you referred to have been great servants to the club alright. raymie retired last season but big brew is still going. john murphy doesn't manage these days but is on the club executive. he was managing the juniors a few years back though, you couldn't meet a nicer fella than john.

Tempoman

As usual my predictions didnt come to the fore!!!! I'm goin to have to precict that the gaels win the championship this year!!!!!

Its a pity that brewster park is so far behind, but with all the rain this year its understanable. I was talking to someone last year who reckoned that the pitch needed at least 2 years rest due to over use. Skea's pitch is a disgrace, i couldnt believe at the start of the year when they were talking about using it for the national league. It needs some serious work to bring it up to the standard of the rest of the pitches in the county.

Didnt know that shrek (aka donal mcshea) was assisting ollie this year, he was a great servant to tempo down the years. Ollie must be one of the most decorated players in ireland, god knows how many hurling and football medals he has won down through the years, and a true gent also.

Its a pity there arent more contibuters on this board from fermanagh. Im actually living in leeds at the minute, but always check the board for gaa news.

On another note well done to Young Irelands in leeds yesterday, we won the yorkshire senior league title!!!

inisceithleann

Quote from: Tempoman on July 30, 2007, 10:33:30 AM
As usual my predictions didnt come to the fore!!!! I'm goin to have to precict that the gaels win the championship this year!!!!!

Its a pity that brewster park is so far behind, but with all the rain this year its understanable. I was talking to someone last year who reckoned that the pitch needed at least 2 years rest due to over use. Skea's pitch is a disgrace, i couldnt believe at the start of the year when they were talking about using it for the national league. It needs some serious work to bring it up to the standard of the rest of the pitches in the county.

Didnt know that shrek (aka donal mcshea) was assisting ollie this year, he was a great servant to tempo down the years. Ollie must be one of the most decorated players in ireland, god knows how many hurling and football medals he has won down through the years, and a true gent also.

Its a pity there arent more contibuters on this board from fermanagh. Im actually living in leeds at the minute, but always check the board for gaa news.

On another note well done to Young Irelands in leeds yesterday, we won the yorkshire senior league title!!!

Yeah Oliie is a brillant athlete, he came on himself yesterday as well at the grand aul age of 39. He's played hurling for Ulster as well, not too many fermanagh men have done that.

Agree with you about skea, poor pitch and no parking, but sure there's no alternative until brewsters up. the pitch looks to be miles away from being finished.

Need more contributors to this board. I'm only home for a few weeks and then back to work in England, most of the posters are exiled as well which is a bit strange. We'll have to get a few more local based fellas to keep the news coming.

Well done on winning the Yorkshire title. I was chatting one of your committee members a few months ago in England. He was telling me about the Fermanagh men playing with Young Irelands. Jimmy i think his name was? I didn't know that Shane Lyons was playing for them for a right few years. He's been a great find for Fermanagh this year.

Tempoman

Jimmy is a legend, everyone know him in leeds, only for him there would be no young irelands.
What part of the UK are you in Innis ceithlean???
Lyons was a great player for us last year. We probably could have won the all britain county title last year if he was playing, he had got suspended about 3 weeks before the game. He was a great trainer, always had something different. We've a good number of fermanagh men on the team, from kinawly, derrylin,  roslea, and tempo.

inisceithleann

Working just outside manchester, so i'll be living there. I only got the chance to train once with st.peter's before i came home so i might throw my lot in with them as i know a few of the fellas playing with them. jimmy is a nice fella alright. it turned out he refereed a gaelic game i was playing in with enniskillen town colts against yorkshire when i was 15. it's a small world.

tintin25

Intermediate Championship Results; Kinawley 1-13 Erne Gaels 0-07, St.Josephs 1-13 Coa 3-02. Senior Championship Results; Brookboro 1-09 Lisnaskea 1-04, Derrygonnelly 0-07 Enniskillen 1-04 (I think) and Teemore 2-07 Tempo 0-08 (I think). Was at a  couple of the games yday in Kinawley. Brookboro fully deserved to beat Skea. To be honest there isn't much difference between the top teams in Div 2 and teams in the middle reaches of Div 1. This result didn't surprise me that much. Only stayed for abit in the 2nd game. Seemed a poor enough match from what I saw. Gaels don't look strong this year. I know everyone says this every year and they usually win the championship but I fancy Derrygonnelly for the replay. Think it could finally be NTB's year. Coa didn't disgrace themselves in the Intermediate Championship either. Kinawley accounted for Erne Gaels handy enough but will need to improve greatly against St.Joe's. Big day for the club on saturday when the minors take on the mighty Tempo!!! Hopefully a shock is on the cards!

FermPundit

I attended all the quarter finals yesterday. I wasn't that surprised that Brookeboro beat Skea. Skea have been really poor in the league recently whereas Brookeboro altough playing in div 2 have been winning games and have built up a good bit of confidence. They'll go into the NTB game as underdogs. They are a phsycially strong side and some really good footballers including Gerard Woods, Paddy Mohan, Tommy McElroy and Niall Rooney.

The Gaels were shocking poor yesterday. 2 points after 50 mins of football is terrible and it wasn't like they were creating many scoring opportunties. Derrygonnelly kicked the game away and I'm sure the were feeling sick last night. I fancy the Gaels the win the replay on friday though.  They couldn't play as badly again and I reckon the Harps have missed the boat.

Teemore won well last night without being overly impressive. The two early goals they got set them up for a comfortable victory. Tempo are a good footballing side but they lack physcial presence in many areas of the field. Although they lost I don't think they would have been too disappointed. They are a good young side and they'll be a force in Fermanagh football in a couple of years time.

I'd have to fancy Tempo in the minor final. From what I heard Kinawley were't great against Enniskillen although you never know in a final. Regardless if they win or lose it's a great achievement for a small club like Kinawley to get to a minor A final.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.