Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikhailov

Quote from: CK_Redhand on May 22, 2021, 09:33:21 PM
Midfield is the biggest issue

Next is the inconsistency of forwards. Ask 100 Tyrone fans to pick their best 6 forwards and you'll get 100 different answers. For me, the only two who would be certs to start if fully fit are mcshane and McCurry.  Nobody else has shown the consistency to be counted on in big games.

Early days for management and with no pre season it makes it harder but they don't know their best team.

CK, very unfair of you to highlight that 100/100 people would pick different front six then suggest the management don't know their best team yet. How could they, after only 2 games and the fact that nobody has a clue who the best 6 upfront are....give the management time before we start pressing any sort of panic buttons

CK_Redhand

Quote from: Mikhailov on May 22, 2021, 10:14:00 PM
Quote from: CK_Redhand on May 22, 2021, 09:33:21 PM
Midfield is the biggest issue

Next is the inconsistency of forwards. Ask 100 Tyrone fans to pick their best 6 forwards and you'll get 100 different answers. For me, the only two who would be certs to start if fully fit are mcshane and McCurry.  Nobody else has shown the consistency to be counted on in big games.

Early days for management and with no pre season it makes it harder but they don't know their best team.

CK, very unfair of you to highlight that 100/100 people would pick different front six then suggest the management don't know their best team yet. How could they, after only 2 games and the fact that nobody has a clue who the best 6 upfront are....give the management time before we start pressing any sort of panic buttons

I'm not trying to blame management I'm just saying it's a problem. I don't think any other county has such a mixed bag when it comes to forward selection.  It's been like this for a while and the management have difficult decisions to make especially this year where every match is important and there isn't much room for tinkering.

Angelo

McKenna has had two very poor performances now.

He needs to play at 11 though. For me he is the player this team should be building around.

Harte had an excellent game today, that's the class he has - we just need to have it on a consistent basis and he probably should be settled as a wing back now. Donnelly did a lot better than Donegal too but I still don't know where he plays best. I'm thinking midfield.

Donaghy has the quality but will frustrate, spills a lot of ball and coughs up in the tackle very easily for a big man but he has that quality and finishing ability, as well as frees which you can carry him for. That's why I think he is much better further out the field that when it's tight inside.

Canavan played an unusual role, I thought his defensive work was top notch, made loads of good tackles and interceptions and used the ball well when he got on it.

When McCurry is on it he is a joy to watch, that point by the endline was sublime with the pick up.

I just don't see it with Burns. Sludden made a big impact when he came on.

Midfield obviously a huge issue.

I'd go with the following for Monaghan.

1. Morgan
2. Brennan
3. McNamee
4. Hampsey
5. Rafferty
6. Cassidy
7. Harte
8. M Donnelly
9. R Donnelly
10. Donaghy
11. McKenna
12. Meyler
13. McCurry
14. Canavan
15. McGeary

McShane will hopefully be the key to giving the team balance when he returns but I'd be doubtful at the impact he can make in a short season like this year.

No McAliskey or McNulty in the squad again tonight? Injured?

Any word on who was dropped yet?

Thought Munroe did alright again this evening.

The three problem areas we have are:

1. Midfield
2. Centre back
3. Inside ball winner

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

StPatsAbu

The excuses on here.  It's not as if Logan & Dooher are starting with a blank canvas ffs. This squad have been to AI semis
and AI final and but for a peno miss prob would've been beaten by a depleted Armagh playing with 14 men for 10 mins.  Defence and midfield a shambles. Kerry and Dublin will rip them a new one if management don't get their act together quickly.

matchfit21

Peter Harte and McCurry were excellent today and I thought Mattie Donnelly looked a lot more assured in a settled position.
McClure showed well early on and Morgan made a fantastic save for the penalty. Lots of positives today, keep it lit lads 👍🏻

sam03/05

They have probably had about 3 weeks of training together.
Bear in mind also the Covid restrictions that they are working under, eg no indoor meetings, no indoor changing rooms, not even a shower.
They are clearly trying to implement a new style of play. They have had no McKenna Cup to develop it or players. People spent years on here complaining about Harte and his style of okay. Now they complain about the new set up after two games player. I would say in terms of this season it's a write off for them and they deserve a by ball.

tyrone08

Big issue for me is how poor mckenna seems to be playing. He seems frustrated and not enjoying his position. Played only a few games last year but made a huge impact while he seems to he struggling so far. Early days yet so hopefully he can turn it around.

Shooting needs worked on, a number if men had a few poor wides. Burns and hampsey come to mind.

Angelo

Quote from: tyrone08 on May 23, 2021, 09:21:26 AM
Big issue for me is how poor mckenna seems to be playing. He seems frustrated and not enjoying his position. Played only a few games last year but made a huge impact while he seems to he struggling so far. Early days yet so hopefully he can turn it around.

Shooting needs worked on, a number if men had a few poor wides. Burns and hampsey come to mind.

McKenna is a huge worry. Seems very frustrated at how little involvement he's had. For me he's not an inside player. I know we are short McShane and need a ball winner inside but it's not McKenna. He should be playing out the field, preferably at 11.

McCurry won a lot of ball in the second half when the supply was right to him. We could do with McNulty or McAliskey in there if they are available.

McClure was another one who had a very poor wide earlier. I'd be very worried if Burns is picked again to start next week. He was poor again yesterday.

Is Kilpatrick still in the squad? Surely worth a run at midfield.

Fuzzman

I find myself agreeing with most things you say Angelo so good man, keep it up 😉

I think we need to stay patient and realise this is a new management setup with a good few new players brought in.
Fergal and Brian seem to be willing to give everyone a chance to prove themselves and I was surprised to see young Munroe get a start so that must give everyone in the squad great hope that everyone has indeed a clean slate and if you are performing in training then you'll get your chance.
It was great to see Canavan, McCurry, Bradley and Donaghy flair and sharpness on full display and I think most of us would rather see the right combination of those players rather than playing more defensive minded or physically minded forwards.

Richie Donnelly is our best foot passing "big lad" we have to play at MF. Obviously his continuing fitness worries will be the main problem but I wonder would him and Mattie or McKenna be the best options for midfield.
I also hate bad mouthing any player but to me Burns always seems to be an accident or yellow/black or red card waiting to happen.
Yesterday penalty a prime example as he doesn't seem to know how to pull back from a tackle.

McGeary can do the same but I think he brings a lot more positives to the table.
it will be

An Watcher

So where is the Monaghan game being played next week and are we being allowed in?

God14

Quote from: An Watcher on May 23, 2021, 12:48:28 PM
So where is the Monaghan game being played next week and are we being allowed in?

Healy Park and a maximum of 500

How would you even distribute them out?

God14

Dooher, in post match presser, confirms McShane won't be available next week. Was quite positive though on his prospects for Championship

Angelo

We'd want to see McShane for the League relegation playoff/ semi final pending the outcome of the league next week.

It's great that all 4 teams have something to play for next week.

southtyronegael

Good result yesterday and finished the game strongly. MC curry and canavan have to start from now on. Burns is a liability. Peter Harte was much better and Mattie too. Definitely a better balance to the team in second half. Moving in the right direction for sure.

trailer

The Team played better as a whole because they had natural forwards. The limits of McGeary and Myler aren't as evident when McCurry and Canavan are providing a threat.

McCurry simply has to start. He has all the talent you'd ever need.
Mattie Donnellly, and Harte were much better.
McGeary gives the ball away far to much.
Burns is a very limited footballer
Myler needs to offer more, much more.
McKenna was quiet.