Colm Parkinson/The GAA Hour

Started by gallsman, November 09, 2020, 10:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helix.

Quote from: reillycavan on December 13, 2020, 08:14:30 PM
Quote from: Helix. on December 13, 2020, 08:08:53 PM
Quote from: reillycavan on December 13, 2020, 07:33:28 PM
I see Colm restaurant closed in Portlaoise. Did daddy fund that as well as paying for his for 4 colleges in 4 years.  Didn't he get a few bob playing for a dublin club?

I believe it's the partner's restaurant not Woolys. And it's closed a long time. Joys of having kids I imagine. Are you bitter or something reillycavan?

Agreed. Eddie's after landing on his feet with Cuala job so he'll be alright. Still not convinced it was a deliberate throwing under the bus from Woolie.

Not a fan of how he threw Eddie under a bus

JimStynes

I see Colm restaurant closed in Portlaoise. Did daddy fund that as well as paying for his for 4 colleges in 4 years.  Didn't he get a few bob playing for a dublin club?

What a ridiculous post.

Snapchap

Doesn't matter what you think of someone. If you are going to gloat about a small family business collapsing during a pandemic, then kindly go away and cop yourself on.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Snapchap on December 13, 2020, 10:47:02 PM

Doesn't matter what you think of someone. If you are going to gloat about a small family business collapsing during a pandemic, then kindly go away and cop yourself on.

+1
Hasta la victoria siempre

reillycavan

It was a bad joke. I have removed  post.

Snapchap

Quote from: reillycavan on December 13, 2020, 11:41:43 PM

It was a bad joke. I have removed  post.
Fair dues.

joemamas

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on December 13, 2020, 11:17:31 PM

+1

+1

Methinks this idiot who posted this, is now onto his sixth or seventh alias. Not difficult to figure out who it is.

reillycavan

Quote from: joemamas on December 14, 2020, 04:38:54 PM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on December 13, 2020, 11:17:31 PM

+1

+1

Methinks this idiot who posted this, is now onto his sixth or seventh alias. Not difficult to figure out who it is.

It was a bad joke apologies

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 10, 2020, 09:06:18 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on December 09, 2020, 09:40:41 PM
And if you think that is mad have a look at this

https://cualagaa.ie/sponsors/

When you are reaching All Ireland finals, getting sponsorship isn't that difficult in fairness, you'll find that the contacts are usually in the club
I think it's reasonable to accept what you say is true but it can't be denied either that sponsorshi is a major incomne stream for Cuala and many other Dublin clubs.
A source of revenue that is out of boundsfor smaller clubs and that includses the vast majority of rural units.
Another plus foor larger clubs is membership dues.
I was half tuned intoo to an OTB podcast recently when this topic was raised and one of the presentrers (McStay?) said he had been told by a Cuala club member that a family membership cost him €486 this year.
Given the large number of members in the bigger Dublin clubs that amounts to serious income by any standard.
All of which raises a question...
Why are Dublin clubs hogging the investment money coming from HQ year on year.
On a pure economy of scale basis, it should take less money to look after a team from, say. Cuala or Vincents than the likes of Ballintubber or Castlebar Mitchels.
I mention Mayo clubs because (in 2015) Mayo got  €22 per registered player whereas Dublin got €274 for the same reason. Dublin clubs don't have the expense of bringing players long distances to get them assembled either.
Without going into the pros and cons of Dublin's present dominance of intercounty football, the case for better support for rural clubs is there, plain to be seen.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Hound

Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 14, 2020, 08:55:19 PM

I mention Mayo clubs because (in 2015) Mayo got  €22 per registered player whereas Dublin got €274 for the same reason. Dublin clubs don't have the expense of bringing players long distances to get them assembled either.
Without going into the pros and cons of Dublin's present dominance of intercounty football, the case for better support for rural clubs is there, plain to be seen.
I don't know if it's accidental or deliberate, but it is completely disingenuous to break down games development funding by registered player. The correct analysis would be by primary school child. The funding doesn't go to coaching registered players.

The funding Cuala, for example, receives in games development funding goes to 50% of a coach, and that means he/she has to spend 50% of his time with primary school children. They take PE classes in schools in the area teaching kids the basics - equally broken down between girls and boys and football and hurling.
The other 50%, that is funded by Cuala members, is purely for the benefit of Cuala, and would generally be coaching kids up to the time they join teams, where parents take over. 

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Hound on December 16, 2020, 07:38:29 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 14, 2020, 08:55:19 PM

I don't know if it's accidental or deliberate, but it is completely disingenuous to break down games development funding by registered player. The correct analysis would be by primary school child. The funding doesn't go to coaching registered players.

The funding Cuala, for example, receives in games development funding goes to 50% of a coach, and that means he/she has to spend 50% of his time with primary school children. They take PE classes in schools in the area teaching kids the basics - equally broken down between girls and boys and football and hurling.
The other 50%, that is funded by Cuala members, is purely for the benefit of Cuala, and would generally be coaching kids up to the time they join teams, where parents take over.
I'd be interested to know why you think the development money should be allocated per primary school child. I spent over three decades teaching at this level and I know how hard it is to get children interested in Gaelic games to the extent where they are interested enough to join a local club.
I'm not up to speed o what's happening in schools in general at present but I do know that the take up is generally low. In other words, the number of schools partaking are in the minority.
Certainly, the initiative is a laudable one as it raises the GAA profile in a school  but translating that into active participation is quite another matter.
I think I mentioned to you before that throughout my teaching career I persuaded less than a half dozen kids to join Erin's Isle, the neighbourhood club and, AFAIK, most left after one season. Since the foundation of the state, thousands of dedicated teachers, both lay and religious, tried hard to promote Gaelic games in Primary Schools with underwhelming success.
I can't see development money being well spent here. On the other hand, if the money should be spent on children who are already club members, I think there would be a better return. It would be a case of preaching to the converted rather than trawling for recruits.
But, putting all that aside, i can't see why Dublin gets more than 12 times the amount Mayo gets for development aid, regardless of the metric you care to mention.

Hound

Dublin does not get 12 times per child more than Mayo gets in development funding!

You could say they get 12 times more per adult player than Mayo, but that would utterly disingenuous given none of the funding has anything to do with adult players.

The purpose of the development funding in Dublin is to increase participation. That's why the condition attaches that for 50% funding, 50% of the time spent has to be with primary school children. Whether that's money well spent is another issue entirely.

The developement funding has practically nothing to do with Dublin's success. But nobody seems to listen to that. Even those country people on here who are involved in Dublin clubs and know full well that (the vast majority of) these coaches work with the toddlers and aren't let near first team players or elite youths.

Dublin's real advantages are population and lack of traveling. Add in lack of away games.  Add in a county board who knows what they're doing. Further down the list comes sponsorship money and therefore the ability to look after players very well, but the likes of Mayo and Kerry get plenty of that too and look after their players very well also. They have spend more of their budget on travel expenses though.

Taylor

Quote from: Hound on December 16, 2020, 01:20:18 PM
Dublin does not get 12 times per child more than Mayo gets in development funding!

You could say they get 12 times more per adult player than Mayo, but that would utterly disingenuous given none of the funding has anything to do with adult players.

The purpose of the development funding in Dublin is to increase participation. That's why the condition attaches that for 50% funding, 50% of the time spent has to be with primary school children. Whether that's money well spent is another issue entirely.

The developement funding has practically nothing to do with Dublin's success. But nobody seems to listen to that. Even those country people on here who are involved in Dublin clubs and know full well that (the vast majority of) these coaches work with the toddlers and aren't let near first team players or elite youths.

Dublin's real advantages are population and lack of traveling. Add in lack of away games.  Add in a county board who knows what they're doing. Further down the list comes sponsorship money and therefore the ability to look after players very well, but the likes of Mayo and Kerry get plenty of that too and look after their players very well also. They have spend more of their budget on travel expenses though.

While I would disagree with your view Hound it is quite refreshing to hear a Dub saying some of the above things and you make some really sound points in the above

sid waddell

I remember when this debate was being had back in 2018, it came out that Dublin has less Games Promotion officers per capita than the rest of Leinster

And that Roscommon were receiving around three times more development funding per capita than Dublin

This doesn't suit the narrative

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Hound on December 16, 2020, 01:20:18 PM

The development funding has practically nothing to do with Dublin's success. But nobody seems to listen to that. Even those country people on here who are involved in Dublin clubs and know full well that (the vast majority of) these coaches work with the toddlers and aren't let near first team players or elite youths.

There's an infographic doing the rounds that purports to show just what I have stated. It  has surfaced on this board on numerous occasions and I know it's to be found on the Money, Dublin and the GAA thread in several posts.
I haven't the time to go trawling for it now but I do know that the author is Shane Mangan. ("PhD in Sport Science. Lecturer TUD. Performance Analyst Ballyboden St. Endas" according to Twitter.
So his credentials seem valid enough to me.

More to the point, I can't recall anyone here disputing the veracity of his stats. The same applies to Ewan McKenna.
I have long given up reading his tweets as the quality and accuracy of his work seems to be deteriorating steadily.
But his allegations of financial doping were never challenged - on this board anyway.
Either his figures are facts or they are fiction- his personal opinions don't enter the picture.
The article in question can be found here.

I'd imagine SkySports are a reputable organisation and not prone to wild and inaccurate statements. Your mileage may vary on this-- there may be others who'd disagree.)
(This was published on 05/02/15.)
GAA: Dublin claiming more development funds than other 31 counties combined

Figures released in the 2014 financial report show that Dublin received more funding for games development than the other 31 counties combined.
Dublin received €1.46m for games development, while many of the smaller counties such as Leitrim, Longford and Monaghan received just €39,000.....
The full article is here.

There is a graphic on Reddit that claims that Dublin got €17,916,477 between 2007 and 2018.
(Incidentally, Mayo got €718,780  in the same period.)
Credit is given to Sean McGoldrick, a reporter with the Sunday World.
The Reddit link is
here.

I'm not moaning on behalf of Mayo when I compare both counties-- it's just that they are meeting on equal terms at the weekend. Mayo don't give a f**k for Dublin or anyone else and are quite happy to take Dublin on at any time. That's what Andy Moran saids and no one in Mayo will disagree with that!
As for involvement in schools, I am all for it.  The priority should be to get as many kids as possible to participate in physical activity. If the GAA can help in this regard, I'd be happy to say that I agree.
But I've been there and done that as the old saying puts it and I don't see the GAA  getting a worthwhile return on their investment of time and money.
I was still teaching with this initiative was first introduced and in my school two young  Fas apprentices did two coaching sessions every week. This was after school hours so those attending had an interest in Gaelic football.
Going in during school time to take over PE classes doesn't work in all cases- probably in a minority.
Not all children are interested in Gaelic games and in any event, teachers have curriculum duties to consider. Spending 100% of PE time on gaelic games is a definite non-runner in the vast majority of cases.
When the coaching schemes was introduced, the coaches were Fas apprentices and paid the going rate
I don't know if the rate has been increased since then but if it has, it can't be by much.
Anyway, the nub of the question for me is the manner in which development money is spent and I'm not thinking of Dublin in particular.