Colm Parkinson/The GAA Hour

Started by gallsman, November 09, 2020, 10:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

five points

Quote from: gallsman on November 10, 2020, 12:45:08 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on November 10, 2020, 12:40:54 PM
Quote from: screenexile on November 09, 2020, 10:51:36 PM
Was the sound engineers fault... both Wooly and Brennan's reputations are in tatters how can Laois keep Brennan on after that??

Proprietors of Joe.ie facing fraud allegations too not a good look!

What's the fraud allegations?

They lost a whole bunch of advertisers a couple of years ago after they were found to be using a Russian (I think) clickfarm to inflate their viewer statistics.

McGarry tried to claim it was a rogue individual, the Nick Lesson of JOE if you will. I think the holding company, Maximum Media, has subsequently filed for bankruptcy, with McGarry claiming that the mainstream media are out to get them because of how they're market disruptors, rather than just a bunch of shysters.

I think McGarry has since lost ownership of it?

Taylor

Any player/manager may think twice before going on this show in the future

gallsman

Quote from: five points on November 10, 2020, 12:51:17 PM

He stepped away from executive involvement, don't know if he lost ownership though.

He was busy calling it "too big to fail" and "too important for Ireland" a few months ago.

shark

Quote from: gallsman on November 10, 2020, 01:22:25 PM

He stepped away from executive involvement, don't know if he lost ownership though.

He was busy calling it "too big to fail" and "too important for Ireland" a few months ago.

The Currency did a long piece on it. He's out of the Irish operation completely, but still with the UK arm - which is much bigger and being looked at by a number of bigger players as a takeover prospect.
The main damage caused by the click farm saga was that it unnerved their sponsors - with the main one being AIB I think.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: shark on November 10, 2020, 03:09:47 PM

The Currency did a long piece on it. He's out of the Irish operation completely, but still with the UK arm - which is much bigger and being looked at by a number of bigger players as a takeover prospect.
The main damage caused by the click farm saga was that it unnerved their sponsors - with the main one being AIB I think.

Content is key and could never understand how there's was good enough to become profitable.

inroundthesquare

Quote from: dublin7 on November 09, 2020, 10:33:49 PM
I usually only listen to the football as well. To be fair their Monday shows with Cian Ward are always enjoyable as he is an excellent analyst

Cian Ward is awful. Only worse pundit is Ger Brennan.

gallsman

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 10, 2020, 05:18:56 PM

Content is key and could never understand how there's was good enough to become profitable.

The entire thing is and always has been completed tripe. Terrible prose, no editing, robbed content etc

Pat McCarry's rugby "journalism" consists large of rambling pieces headlined "X Young Irish Player is a BEAST!"

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: inroundthesquare on November 10, 2020, 06:36:55 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on November 09, 2020, 10:33:49 PM
I usually only listen to the football as well. To be fair their Monday shows with Cian Ward are always enjoyable as he is an excellent analyst

Cian Ward is awful. Only worse pundit is Ger Brennan.

Have to say I like Cian Ward. Agreed Ger Brennan is horrific
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ardtole

I find Cian Ward excellent. His contributions particularly on the club games are very good.

galwayman

Maybe I'm not listening to the right podcasts :-) but I find the football show probably the best one around.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 10, 2020, 05:18:56 PM

Its not. As s9on as the clickfarming stopped it died on its arse

Mario

I can see why people think Wooly is a p***k, I do as well sometimes but he doesn't hold back his opinions and his podcast is the best GAA podcast there is in my opinion. After a big gaa weekend there is nothing i enjoy more than listening to it for an hour. I'm not a particularly big hurling fan but i'll even listen to that podcast from time to time as well.

didlyi

I am a rare hurling fan around here, I find both his podcasts quite good and for a man that doesn't call himself a hurling person he is very knowledgeable in the players and the history of the players and teams setup in particular. He is no doubt a clever bloke but sometimes though his mouth is too big for his own good.

magpie seanie

Quote from: laoislad on November 10, 2020, 12:10:22 PM
Quote from: screenexile on November 09, 2020, 10:51:36 PM
Was the sound engineers fault... both Wooly and Brennan's reputations are in tatters how can Laois keep Brennan on after that??

Proprietors of Joe.ie facing fraud allegations too not a good look!
How can they keep him? They should be listening to what he said and doing everything they can to keep him.
He has been brilliant for Laois hurling.

Agree 100%. Time for cool heads and people to put their egos aside for the good of Laois hurling.

lurganblue

I would be a regular enough listener to the football show.

IMO that's a dirty doin on Brennan.  I'd say there might be a few with second thoughts about being interviewed for the show now.