China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

I'm in France at the minute, and the town we're in has mandated that masks are worn outside in areas of dense footfall (e.g. pedestrian streets).
It was 30 degrees today, and the police were still patrolling to ensure compliance.
Social distancing seems to have been forgotten mind you.

thebuzz

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 15, 2021, 08:06:06 PM
Were masks not more commonplace in some Asian countries before this anyway?

I think a lot of it was for air pollution and smog before this.

Capt Pat

Masks are also a great cure for hayfever. Wear them outside at all times and don't get any symptoms.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Capt Pat on August 15, 2021, 08:54:29 PM
Masks are also a great cure for hayfever. Wear them outside at all times and don't get any symptoms.

They are great for ugly people
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hound

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 15, 2021, 06:24:22 PM
ROI weekly update. We still seem to a while off the peak and then declining numbers.

12,562 cases  (1943 more than last Sunday)
248 in hospital (40 more than a week ago)
48 in ICU (increase of 17 on last Sunday)
The hospital and ICU numbers certainly not good, given we were down below 80 for hospital, and I think close to 10 in ICU.

Not far away from schools, universities, etc reopening, and more people expected to return to workplaces in September. So the battle of more reopening VS more vaccinations will continue.

Farrandeelin

Paul Reid saying there's an exponential growth of the virus on the way. Ffs, we're hitting 90% of adults fully vaccinated. Other say that vaxed and unvaxed have similar infection rates. I don't know what to believe anymore. It's NOT disappearing any time soon unfortunately.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 19, 2021, 10:56:34 PM
Paul Reid saying there's an exponential growth of the virus on the way. Ffs, we're hitting 90% of adults fully vaccinated. Other say that vaxed and unvaxed have similar infection rates. I don't know what to believe anymore. It's NOT disappearing any time soon unfortunately.

What's the rates with vaccinated and hospitalised and unvaccinated and hospitalised?

We need to use what we can to live with this, it's not going away, it'll become normalised as long as we can fight it medically like we do with other virus.

We can't fight it if it's changing/mutating
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

It isn't that complicated, vaccinated and unvaccinated do not have the same infection rate, vaccination does help but does not reduce infection to zero. The anti vax  crowd have been spreading the idea that if the vaccination does not absolutely prevent infection then it must be same as not being vaccinated. This is bollix, seat belts, airbags or motorcycle helmets do not prevent you being injured in an accident, but things would be much worse without them.

Delta is more infectious, the vaccines would have stopped the original one, but they have hugely slowed Delta down. However, it does not follow that there will be another mutation doubling infectivity again, basically the virus had several 100 million tosses of the mutation coin and it came up with a pretty good variant, there is probably not that much more it can do. Cases have been growing each week, schools are going to make it worse and colleges will make it worse again.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BenDover

Family wedding at the weekend and my whole house is down with Covid. OH and I are vaccinated. My symptoms are flu like with a cough, eldest boy the same. Youngest kids showing no symptoms. Isolation now for 10 days.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 19, 2021, 11:22:56 PM

What's the rates with vaccinated and hospitalised and unvaccinated and hospitalised?

We need to use what we can to live with this, it's not going away, it'll become normalised as long as we can fight it medically like we do with other virus.

89% unvaccinated I read in north.

The vaccine is very clearly not the silver bullet here but definitely is doing something. Numbers are growing significantly in the north but hospital admissions are down. Has to be some in it. Still positive test cases are getting huge which is worrying.

Hope you and the family are all ok Ben and nothing comes from it.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: BenDover on August 20, 2021, 12:34:04 AM
Family wedding at the weekend and my whole house is down with Covid. OH and I are vaccinated. My symptoms are flu like with a cough, eldest boy the same. Youngest kids showing no symptoms. Isolation now for 10 days.
We have a family wedding next weekend where the missus is a bridesmaid and everyone is keeping a low profile so we don't miss it. There numbers locally seem to be pretty big and can only assume will get worse when the schools are back.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 20, 2021, 08:44:04 AM
We have a family wedding next weekend where the missus is a bridesmaid and everyone is keeping a low profile so we don't miss it. There numbers locally seem to be pretty big and can only assume will get worse when the schools are back.
Do people think there will be another 'period of restrictions'?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

JoG2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 19, 2021, 11:22:56 PM

Stateside, couple of quotes from The Atlantic article posted in the Holidays thread:

96.7 percent of deaths this summer have been in the unvaccinated. Hospitalization data look similar, with few fully vaccinated people requiring hospitalization.

Although the proportion of breakthrough patients varied by an order of magnitude from as low as .2 percent of total hospitalizations in Texas to 4.7 percent in Arkansas, in every state more than 95 percent of hospitalized people were unvaccinated.

Armagh18

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 20, 2021, 09:04:48 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 20, 2021, 08:44:04 AM
Do people think there will be another 'period of restrictions'?
No chance. Don't see how it can be justified either. Vaccination numbers are probably close to as high as they're gonna get for adults and children won't be long getting done too. Keep decent hand washing and hygiene etiquette and wear masks on public transport etc and get on with it at this stage, plus most likely boosters for the vulnerable, hopefully given along with their usual flu jab. 

imtommygunn

In the north I don't see how there can be. England aren't doing them any more so parliament will never approve a budget for here to go off on their own and do furlough. There's no money for it any more.