Car Problems!!

Started by downgirl, January 04, 2009, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

restorepride

Quote from: GJL on February 14, 2021, 09:42:22 PM
Quote from: Aristo 60 on February 14, 2021, 09:04:06 PM
Thanks for reply. No obvious signs of a leak. Will look into the sealant stuff then. Thanks for suggestion 👍🏽

Wouldn't be a fan of the sealant. It can cause more problems than it fixes. When coolant level continually drops it is either leaking out somewhere, mixing with the oil or getting into a cylinder and burning off in the combustion. Best thing is to find out exactly what is happening and fix it appropriately. If you don't know how to do this bring it to someone who does.
Always sound advice.

giveherlong

Selling a car at an auction (local machinery sale)
What do you do with the vehicle log book?
Hand it over to auctioneer or send away a part in advance/when sold?

Aristo 60

Quote from: restorepride on February 14, 2021, 10:20:42 PM
Quote from: GJL on February 14, 2021, 09:42:22 PM
Quote from: Aristo 60 on February 14, 2021, 09:04:06 PM
Thanks for reply. No obvious signs of a leak. Will look into the sealant stuff then. Thanks for suggestion 👍🏽

Wouldn't be a fan of the sealant. It can cause more problems than it fixes. When coolant level continually drops it is either leaking out somewhere, mixing with the oil or getting into a cylinder and burning off in the combustion. Best thing is to find out exactly what is happening and fix it appropriately. If you don't know how to do this bring it to someone who does.

Sound advice indeed. Mechanic found small leak. Cheap fix. Thanks again.
Always sound advice.

snoopdog

Ho all. I have a 2003 volvo s80. If the  car if sitting for a few days/week it wont start. The battery will have drained. If googled it and checked out most of the known causes like lights on vanity mirrors glove box etc but they all look to be ok . Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this on a volvo or any other make. I changed the battery originally when this started. Obviously it hasn't been used much in last while but I plan a big drive tomorrow in it. Any suggestions or advice greatly appreciated. It's so old I dont fancy paying a dealership a few hundred quid for them then to say they cant see an issue. It's a 2.0T petrol automatic. Only just done 100k miles.

general_lee

Quote from: snoopdog on April 08, 2021, 04:40:40 PM
Ho all. I have a 2003 volvo s80. If the  car if sitting for a few days/week it wont start. The battery will have drained. If googled it and checked out most of the known causes like lights on vanity mirrors glove box etc but they all look to be ok . Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this on a volvo or any other make. I changed the battery originally when this started. Obviously it hasn't been used much in last while but I plan a big drive tomorrow in it. Any suggestions or advice greatly appreciated. It's so old I dont fancy paying a dealership a few hundred quid for them then to say they cant see an issue. It's a 2.0T petrol automatic. Only just done 100k miles.
If it's definitely not the battery get a multimeter from Halfords and check by removing the fuses one by one. Most likely the alarm or alternator.

Kidder81

Had to get a new thermostat fitted to car, got it back yesterday but the temp gauge is going from 50 - 90 in about 30 secs. Usually needed to drive for 5 to 10 mins before you reached that temperature. Is that normal ?

Orior

Does anyone know car scrap dealers for BMW where I could buy a spare wheel?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

snoopdog

Quote from: Orior on September 01, 2021, 07:12:11 PM
Try Traynors they have a decent website and will deliver. Based up around the Moy I think.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: snoopdog on September 01, 2021, 10:32:14 PM
Try Traynors they have a decent website and will deliver. Based up around the Moy I think.
Traynors is always the answer.

Christmas Lights

I recommend Traynors of Moy for that spare wheel

general_lee

There's a lad outside armagh cc automotive spares on Facebook breaks BMWs

doodaa

What specific model is it for?
I've a full set of 18inch alloys that would likely be cheaper than a spare from a scrappy.
18inch MV2 alloys off an e46 3 series 2 good tyres/ 2 shite.

EDIT; or is it a space saver you are after?

Orior

Quote from: doodaa on September 03, 2021, 01:20:30 PM

What specific model is it for?
I've a full set of 18inch alloys that would likely be cheaper than a spare from a scrappy.
18inch MV2 alloys off an e46 3 series 2 good tyres/ 2 shite.

EDIT; or is it a space saver you are after?

I want one spare and jack for a BMW X1 (2017)
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

Quote from: Orior on September 03, 2021, 04:46:22 PM
I want one spare and jack for a BMW X1 (2017)

That sounds like a fair swap.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Nanderson

Has anyone had an issue before on Audi key fob not being recognized when trying to start the car. When i try to start the car 8/10 i have to hold the fob to the contact point for it to be recognized but if i'm in and out of the car a few times in the day it might start as soon as i press the start button rather than having to hold it. I've changed the battery as that was a lot of peoples first port of call but it didn't make any difference