Car Problems!!

Started by downgirl, January 04, 2009, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Dar31 on September 21, 2020, 10:54:08 PM
Quote from: general on January 06, 2020, 11:51:52 PM
Engine Management Light - will car go through MOT? Car had new alternator installed, light came back on yesterday - I'm sure it is related but scared to find out - will I get car through 
MOT with this light on? Obviously intend on getting car seen to but won't be before Thursday
i know with the NCT they will fail you but those f**kers fail you for anything if its gone like that your goosed
He posted that over 9 and a half months ago. I'd like to think he has it sorted by now.

Dar31

Lol should seen that my bad id hope so 🤣

Mhic Easmuint

Have a car - an 07 A4 which generally only does short runs at the moment - worse since lockdown - no long runs at all, generally 3 short 2/3 mile scoots each day for playgroup/school. 
There was a new battery put in at the start of year but I've noticed it not as sharp starting in the mornings now when a bit cooler so assuming the battery is getting down.

Assume I can get a charger to top it up but which one should I get?
I see a Halfords Smart Battery Charger which is £60 which seems to cover all types - https://www.halfords.com/motoring/battery-maintenance/battery-chargers-1/halfords-advanced-smart-battery-charger-plus-238350.html

Then there are other ones on Amazon, alot of them around £20.
Any recommendations on which one to go for?

GJL

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on September 29, 2020, 08:49:13 PM
Have a car - an 07 A4 which generally only does short runs at the moment - worse since lockdown - no long runs at all, generally 3 short 2/3 mile scoots each day for playgroup/school. 
There was a new battery put in at the start of year but I've noticed it not as sharp starting in the mornings now when a bit cooler so assuming the battery is getting down.

I see a Halfords Smart Battery Charger which is £60 which seems to cover all types - https://www.halfords.com/motoring/battery-maintenance/battery-chargers-1/halfords-advanced-smart-battery-charger-plus-238350.html

Take it for a good 8-10 mile drive once a week. Should charge the battery sufficiently and will also do the car a world of good.

angermanagement

Mother's Honda was up for MOT today. Passed no problem but on the way home the emission light came on, the handbrake light(flashing) parking light came on. Would this have anything to do with the MOT or just a random coincidence?

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: GJL on September 29, 2020, 09:58:46 PM
Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on September 29, 2020, 08:49:13 PM

Take it for a good 8-10 mile drive once a week. Should charge the battery sufficiently and will also do the car a world of good.
Thanks - pre lockdown it would have been 20 mile to and from work on a Tuesday and Wednesday - but found during the colder spells of winter by it started fine the next few days but come the Monday again it could have been struggling to start - that battery was only 2 years old. 

andoireabu

Quote from: general_lee on September 16, 2020, 06:27:46 PM
Quote from: andoireabu on September 16, 2020, 02:31:33 PM
Any rough price on a new key for a car in the Republic?  Three buttons for unlock, lock and unlock boot.  Got quoted €165 but wouldn't know if that is good or bad.
I spent £300 on a new key from BMW, but you can apparently buy blank keys and then have them programmed by independents.

Turns out €25 and a YouTube video sorted it. Bought a new key on ali express and programmed it into the car. Just swapped out the blade that is already cut.
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

general_lee

Quote from: andoireabu on October 05, 2020, 06:23:19 PM
Quote from: general_lee on September 16, 2020, 06:27:46 PM
Quote from: andoireabu on September 16, 2020, 02:31:33 PM
Any rough price on a new key for a car in the Republic?  Three buttons for unlock, lock and unlock boot.  Got quoted €165 but wouldn't know if that is good or bad.
I spent £300 on a new key from BMW, but you can apparently buy blank keys and then have them programmed by independents.

Turns out €25 and a YouTube video sorted it. Bought a new key on ali express and programmed it into the car. Just swapped out the blade that is already cut.
I hadn't the balls to try that  :-\

marty34

Will MOTs be now pushed back again because of this new 'lockdown?

Checked my date, still mid December.

paddyjohn

Quote from: marty34 on October 21, 2020, 11:44:56 PM
Will MOTs be now pushed back again because of this new 'lockdown?

Checked my date, still mid December.

Keep checking, mines went from December to June last week

toby47

Wondering if anyone can help me out.

Have a car out the garage, hasn't been used in a few years since my youngest emigrated. I never bothered Taxing or SORNing the car.

I was now thinking of selling the wee car, it's probably not even worth £1000.

If someone buys it would  the 2/3 years tax have to be back paid? Or would a new owner just be able to change the name over and be able to tax it from todays date?

BennyCake

Quote from: toby47 on December 03, 2020, 02:34:25 PM
Wondering if anyone can help me out.

Have a car out the garage, hasn't been used in a few years since my youngest emigrated. I never bothered Taxing or SORNing the car.

I was now thinking of selling the wee car, it's probably not even worth £1000.

If someone buys it would  the 2/3 years tax have to be back paid? Or would a new owner just be able to change the name over and be able to tax it from todays date?

How did you get away with not SORN'ing it? Surely they'd have sent a letter during those 2/3 years?

toby47

Jeez I dunno - I've definitely no letter?

JohnDenver

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

head there and stick in the reg and see what it tells you regarding tax and mot status

toby47

Quote from: JohnDenver on December 03, 2020, 04:24:24 PM
https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

head there and stick in the reg and see what it tells you regarding tax and mot status

Cheers - this just tells me the car hasn't been taxed (from the date I knew it wasn't taxed from)

Just wondering can I sell it on or would the new buyer have to back pay 2.5 years tax in order to tax the car?