People you admire

Started by armaghniac, May 20, 2021, 10:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Quote from: Itchy on June 04, 2021, 01:37:05 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 23, 2021, 11:24:12 PM
I have great respect for Mickey Harte because of his dtremendous dignity under pressure as he coped with the death of his daughter. I have reservations about much that Mickey has done but, like Aidan McGinely of recent times., Mickey and his wife were an inspitation to us all.
More controversial perhaps, I admire Arlene Foster who crossed deep sectarian divides to attend the Harte funeral.

Jesus Christ I am only after seeing this beauty. You admire a sectarian bigot for momentarily setting aside her sectarianism to attend the funeral of a catholic girl murdered in a foreign country on her honeymoon. There was no "deep sectarian divide" to cross - what a bizarre thing to say. I think it shows the total lack of understanding you have for matters in the North.

I definitely don't admire Arlene... and I'd be more forgiving than most. She has no grace whatsoever, no humility and no willingness to meet the Nationalist community half way. Ironically she's talked more about reaching out to Nationalists more since she's been toppled than she ever did as leader. Sorry Lar, but not for me.

Ronnie

Quote from: BennyCake on June 04, 2021, 01:25:40 PM
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but BallHopper deserves a mention.

I've been following his journey through his illness and treatment, and he's been a true inspiration.

I agree.  Read that.  Face it & deal with it.

haranguerer

I have great respect for Mickey Harte because of his dtremendous dignity under pressure as he coped with the death of his daughter. I have reservations about much that Mickey has done but, like Aidan McGinely of recent times., Mickey and his wife were an inspitation to us all.
More controversial perhaps, I admire Arlene Foster who crossed deep sectarian divides to attend the Harte funeral.

I do not understand this in the slightest

BennyCake

Jesus Christ I am only after seeing this beauty. You admire a sectarian bigot for momentarily setting aside her sectarianism to attend the funeral of a catholic girl murdered in a foreign country on her honeymoon. There was no "deep sectarian divide" to cross - what a bizarre thing to say. I think it shows the total lack of understanding you have for matters in the North.

What about the 2018 Arlene Football final? Fair play to her for that  ::)

Tbh, things like attending sports/funerals across the divide shouldn't even raise an eyelid. Public figures should lead the way and it should become the norm that nobody would even notice. Arlene got more coverage in that final than Donegal or Cavan.

Ronnie

The Pope
The Queen
  The Chief Rabbi
    The Dal Lama
     The President

No particular order.   This thread definitely needs rules.

I'll suggest number 1:

Proper sportspeople (i.e.  not just games people) Olympic year and that... are not allowed

Olly

I admire myself. I crammed two binworths of rubbish into one bin.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Lar Naparka

Quote from: haranguerer on June 04, 2021, 02:15:05 PM

What do you not understand? Do you think she should not have attended in order to conform with the usual stereotypes? Her religious beliefs prevented here attending the mass but she turned up for the graveside ceremonies and in doing so she probably upset more of her own supporters than anyone else.
There was nothing to be gained politically by her going there- just a token of respect for the ordeal the Harte and McAravey families were going through.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Ronnie on June 04, 2021, 11:53:38 PM
The Pope
The Queen
  The Chief Rabbi
    The Dal Lama
     The President

No particular order.   This thread definitely needs rules.

I'll suggest number 1:

Proper sportspeople (i.e.  not just games people) Olympic year and that... are not allowed

You admire the Pope? You admire Queen Elizabeth?

Farrandeelin

+1 to all this. All she crossed was her own bigotry to attend the graveyard afterwards, which is no big deal in fairness.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Ronnie

Yes I admire The Pope & The Queen.  I also admire Arlene Foster.  How many GAA people have attended Remembrance Day over the years?   Loads, but maybe a larger % that are from faiths other than RC.  RD has been held for a long time.  I can't believe I have the type this.

trailer

Quote from: Ronnie on June 06, 2021, 07:35:07 AM
Yes I admire The Pope & The Queen.  I also admire Arlene Foster.  How many GAA people have attended Remembrance Day over the years?   Loads, but maybe a larger % that are from faiths other than RC.  RD has been held for a long time.  I can't believe I have the type this.

Equating Remembrance Sunday with a GAA game is f**king mental. Seek help.

Itchy

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 05, 2021, 10:58:34 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on June 04, 2021, 02:15:05 PM

What do you not understand? Do you think she should not have attended in order to conform with the usual stereotypes? Her religious beliefs prevented here attending the mass but she turned up for the graveside ceremonies and in doing so she probably upset more of her own supporters than anyone else.
There was nothing to be gained politically by her going there- just a token of respect for the ordeal the Harte and McAravey families were going through.

She upset nobody. People in the north have been going to funerals of other denominations for 100 years. If you admire someone for this you are setting the bar at an incredibly low level.

For me, Arlene is a sad bigot that did nothing for her people only snarl at themmuns on the other side. Totally wasted her opportunity and of course proved to corrupt too.

general_lee

I wouldn't say I admire Arlene but I certainly empathise. What she went through growing up anyone would be entitled to be a hell of a lot more bitter than she is.

Ronnie

RULES (if original poster agrees):

1.No Sportspeople
2.No Politicians.

The second rule means I've to take out Joe Biden & put someone else in so:

THE POPE
Queen Elizabeth the second
THE CHIEF RABBI
DIA LAMA
Ball Hopper

quit yo jibbajabba

Jaysus Ronnie yer takin this fierce serious