Division one 2021

Started by tonto1888, December 14, 2020, 07:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: mouview on June 16, 2021, 03:02:10 PM
A lot of harsh home truths in that article alright. But everytime you give up possession or concede scores involves making poor decisions or a sequence of mistakes. Allied to that, Monaghan kicked some quality of scores, the likes of which are very hard to defend against and not likely to be seen every game they play.

It's moot whether Galway would have survived even in an enlarged Div. I. O'Se talks about players/teams learning from their time spent playing there. Galway's problem is that they can't settle on a fixed team, due to injuries and players not being good enough, particularly down the spine. Sean Andy was FB for a couple of seasons but got some roastings; Mulkerrins has promise but is in his first season and is raw. (Also, perhaps Tom Flynn like, he really needs to be playing at a higher club level.) The one proper CHB we've had in a good few years, John Daly, can't seem to get injury free. Can never seem to settle on a consistent midfield pairing. Shane Walsh is more suited to CHF but doesn't always finish. Comer is injured a lot too. And so on. And then you have to add on the players each side who aren't exactly putting their hands up either. There's no point in winning or trying to win Connacht if a hammering awaits in the next round, absolutely none. It is as usual a longer term project for the team to settle and develop and become stronger organically. (A return to the Super 8s would also be beneficial. ) I don't think PJ is the man to oversee longer term development however, always struck me as a 'get rich quick' appointment.

A return to the stand alone knock out Quarter finals would be better than that shite.

Armagh18

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 16, 2021, 07:11:57 PM
A lot of harsh home truths in that article alright. But everytime you give up possession or concede scores involves making poor decisions or a sequence of mistakes. Allied to that, Monaghan kicked some quality of scores, the likes of which are very hard to defend against and not likely to be seen every game they play.

It's moot whether Galway would have survived even in an enlarged Div. I. O'Se talks about players/teams learning from their time spent playing there. Galway's problem is that they can't settle on a fixed team, due to injuries and players not being good enough, particularly down the spine. Sean Andy was FB for a couple of seasons but got some roastings; Mulkerrins has promise but is in his first season and is raw. (Also, perhaps Tom Flynn like, he really needs to be playing at a higher club level.) The one proper CHB we've had in a good few years, John Daly, can't seem to get injury free. Can never seem to settle on a consistent midfield pairing. Shane Walsh is more suited to CHF but doesn't always finish. Comer is injured a lot too. And so on. And then you have to add on the players each side who aren't exactly putting their hands up either. There's no point in winning or trying to win Connacht if a hammering awaits in the next round, absolutely none. It is as usual a longer term project for the team to settle and develop and become stronger organically. (A return to the Super 8s would also be beneficial. ) I don't think PJ is the man to oversee longer term development however, always struck me as a 'get rich quick' appointment.

A return to the stand alone knock out Quarter finals would be better than that shite.
Absolutely. Or preferably play the provincials as a straight knockout, stand alone competition, then go into a 32 county, open draw all Ireland.

Rossfan

Time to say farewell to Div 1 especially with lads proposing new Championships before this years mini one has even started.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

macker15

Quote from: Rossfan on June 16, 2021, 09:27:22 PM
Time to say farewell to Div 1 especially with lads proposing new Championships before this years mini one has even started.

Good luck!

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on June 16, 2021, 09:27:22 PM

The big yellow bus has departed.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 16, 2021, 08:17:45 PM

Absolutely. Or preferably play the provincials as a straight knockout, stand alone competition, then go into a 32 county, open draw all Ireland.
The 2019 all Ireland featured 71 matches.
Covid slashed the 2020 championship to 29 matches.
Covid will probably be around for a while
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Armagh18

Quote from: seafoid on June 17, 2021, 08:58:55 AM

Kerry can get to an AISF by beating Clare and Cork/Tipp. Armagh for example if they got a bad draw could have to beat Tyrone, Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal to get to the same stage. Thats needs to change.

balladmaker

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 17, 2021, 09:03:48 AM
Quote from: seafoid on June 17, 2021, 08:58:55 AM

Kerry can get to an AISF by beating Clare and Cork/Tipp. Armagh for example if they got a bad draw could have to beat Tyrone, Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal to get to the same stage. Thats needs to change.

That's the perennial issue with the championship structure, it favours stronger teams in less competitive and lower numbers provinces.  Only fair way is an open draw and whatever happens, so be it.  But you'd have to decouple the provincials and run them as a stand alone competition.