Medical Status of Boardmembers

Started by Ball Hopper, December 19, 2019, 03:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggy90

Wonderful news BH.
How you keep track of the various procedures you've had and the ones you still have to have is very enlightening.
All the best for the future.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

whitey

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Ball Hopper on April 29, 2021, 07:57:10 AM
Much better news this time...

On 27 April I had my fifth and final vacuum therapy session – no need for a sixth session as the space has filled in fully and there is no more to be done. 

An overnight stay was required for observation for the first placement.  There was relatively small discomfort – having the pump on a shoulder strap 24/7 was a little inconvenient (a bit more than the ileostomy bag).  The pump failed on week 3, so it was removed and I had a few days off until the next scheduled hospital procedure.

A month of further rest and recovery with no therapy will take me to next leak test at the end of May.  A successful leak test will then allow the ileotomy reversal surgery to be scheduled for some time in June.

Needless to say, I'm delighted to be finally done with this issue that first appeared in early October last year.  The surgeon says he will go straight to vacuum therapy in future cases similar to mine.  I will enjoy the month of recovery as best I can...like everybody else, I can't wait for GAA to resume.

All other health matters are doing well...the peripheral neuropathy is starting to fade.  The warmer weather is certainly helping.  Diet and sleep are both in good form as well, although the occasional afternoon nap was required lately – I'm sure being under general anesthetic every week had some sort of cumulative effect, even though the medics said it shouldn't.

I'll update again after the next leak test, but it finally looks like I'm rounding the bend and heading for the home straight...in Grand National terms I've negotiated Beecher's Brook for the final time and have just a few regular fences left – they can still be troublesome though to a tired team, so keeping up with exercise and diet will be important to keep me as fit as possible to handle the next fence.

The umbrella of "cancer free" that is over me is certainly the basis of my attitude, along with a great family and medical team.

As always, thanks so much for the support.  Looking back on my initial post, I had hoped for ileostomy reversal surgery in September 2020 – I'll miss that by at least 9 months, but I am so grateful to be in the shape that I'm right now.

Ball Hopper

Well folks, the news is not as good as I'd hoped. 

The pressure of the leak test was enough that a small track was noticed at the site of the previous space.  This little space measured 2 cm, versus the 5.5 cm original gap.

It seems the vacuum therapy did not close the space from the inside to the surface, but got a covering over what was left of the opening.  This covering was easily punctured during the leak/pressure test.

Consolation is taken in the much smaller space that remains.  Most of the progress was due to the vacuum therapy, but that is no longer suitable as the sponge can't really fit in the space and it is not so effective if only at the "mouth", so to speak.

So the plan to finally close it off involves placing a treated gauze over the space.  It will work like a desiccant and dry out the area which will encourage everything to come together in a more solid way, along with salts and whatever else to encourage healing.  I guess the natural wetness doesn't allow a more solid scab-like cover to form.

The gauze will be replaced every week in the surgeon's clinic and photographs will be used via flexible sigmoidoscopy to monitor progress as well.  There will be no anesthesia for any part of this procedure, with all tools and equipment inserted via the closest opening. 

Starting next week, the surgeon expects about 4 or 5 visits will be enough to close the space fully.  Another leak test will be held at that stage.

It is good that nobody is rushing the reversal surgery until I'm 100% healed internally and ready.  I'd much prefer that than going ahead now and running the risk of serious infections down the road. 

Oddly enough, I didn't feel any great disappointment in failing this leak test - I just took it as another small step to take on my journey back to full health.

Diet and exercise are doing great, all blood tests are normal and the peripheral neuropathy is fading, even if very slowly. With the warmer weather, I can actually walk barefoot on normal surfaces without any great sense of cold, although the sole of my left foot feels like there is an insole attached to half of it.  I'm not sick in any way, just waiting for a wound to heal fully. 

The month of weekly gauze placement will be up in no time at all and I'm pleased that the finish line is almost in sight, but even more pleased that I'll be back to 100% in no time really.  Thanks again for all the support - it really does mean a lot to me.  I'll update again in about a month, say mid to end of July.

So I'm looking at end of July for the next leak test and if all goes according to plan, maybe I'll have the ileostomy reversal surgery on 5 August, exactly a year after the major surgery of 2020. 

I should be in great shape for the All-Ireland final.

Rois

I guess our bodies are not machines and won't always do exactly what we want, when we want, but it sounds, as you said, like a minor delay, and the fact that there's a plan should make you feel a lot more reassured.

Your outlook and attitude is so inspirational. This may or may not be the case, but it sounds like your surgical team is also doing a super job with both treatment and communication (though it seems like you're a dream patient in terms of listening, understanding and doing what you are told).

Tony Baloney

Just a bump in the road BH. Not be long before you're back at it!

Dire Ear

Good man MrH, . . .  ONWARDS AND UPWARDS

BennyCake

You're nearly there, BH. Just a little bump in the road. Hope all goes well in the coming weeks and you're match fit for that All Ireland final! Will be even better if your team makes it there.

Jeepers Creepers

Keep er lit BH. A small bump is right. Onwards and upwards!!

Armagh Girl

Good Luck BH, with the next part on your journey to recovery.  You are an Inspiration to us all on GAA Board, so humbling, positive and determined. You have come so far and this is just a small bump on the road.  We are all behind you!

Farrandeelin

Echoing the above replies BallHopper. Your positivity is an inspiration to us all. A bump in the road as others describe it, luckily you haven't had many. Keep her lit.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tyrdub

As all the above BH, keep her lit lad

Nanderson

Hi All, was just wondering if anyone has found a way of knowing where you are on the NHS waiting lists. I've had a letter saying i was put on the waiting list for bowel problems in July 2019 and I know that covid has delayed the whole process and Northern Ireland are in a bad way with waiting list times as a result.

BennyCake

Quote from: Nanderson on June 27, 2021, 10:21:08 AM
Hi All, was just wondering if anyone has found a way of knowing where you are on the NHS waiting lists. I've had a letter saying i was put on the waiting list for bowel problems in July 2019 and I know that covid has delayed the whole process and Northern Ireland are in a bad way with waiting list times as a result.

Ring the consultant's secretary. You might not find out where you are on the list, but they might tell you how long you might be likely to wait from your referral date.

Tell them you'll be available if a sudden cancellation occurs. Leave your name and number, and if someone cancelled at the last minute, they might remember that you'd said you could make it at short notice. They might ring you rather than waste an appointment slot. Mightn't happen, but it's worth a try.

Nanderson

Quote from: BennyCake on June 27, 2021, 11:41:50 AM
Quote from: Nanderson on June 27, 2021, 10:21:08 AM

Ring the consultant's secretary. You might not find out where you are on the list, but they might tell you how long you might be likely to wait from your referral date.

Tell them you'll be available if a sudden cancellation occurs. Leave your name and number, and if someone cancelled at the last minute, they might remember that you'd said you could make it at short notice. They might ring you rather than waste an appointment slot. Mightn't happen, but it's worth a try.
Great advice. I'll give it a go