Belfast GAA is dying...

Started by Belfast GAA man, February 17, 2017, 09:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Listen. Leitrim is the size of Newry. You can pump all the money you want into coaching but you can't change that fact. Comparisons with the NFL are groundless as there are no geographical boundaries.

Belfast GAA man

My suggestion is aimed at making all counties competitive. As regards the Leitrim example I'm not advocating a blank cheque to each county. The counties still have to put forward properly costed plan to raise standards in their county and so their cut of the central funds is available to be drawn by each county but is not a hand out without conditions.

Surely no-one is happy with the current position in which the the strong get stronger and the weak are getting weaker?

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: thewobbler on March 17, 2018, 10:39:14 AM
Listen. Leitrim is the size of Newry. You can pump all the money you want into coaching but you can't change that fact. Comparisons with the NFL are groundless as there are no geographical boundaries.

it was only an example as to explain the rational behind the posters thinking. Im not comparing the GAA to the NFL.

At the current rate the way the GAA is going the bigger counties will remain out of reach for years to come. the amount of funding thats provided to certain counties is by far disproportionate regardless of how many people their are. Every one should be getting the same amount

hurl like f**k boi!

Christmas Lights

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Square Ball

Did Galefast not sort Belfast out?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Bugger all wrong with Belfast. It has 14 hurling clubs, we have 1 in Derry city with quarter population. But Ulster Council haven't looked at the Derry city programme whilst Gaelfast was passed.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Very little, strategic thinking would not be their forte

imtommygunn

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 25, 2021, 06:03:02 PM
Bugger all wrong with Belfast. It has 14 hurling clubs, we have 1 in Derry city with quarter population. But Ulster Council haven't looked at the Derry city programme whilst Gaelfast was passed.

Many would argue it has too many clubs though.

Derry county board pay little heed to hurling and very little heed to Derry city.

At least we're consistent and pay the same attention to everyome ;D :(

ck

Carryduff and Bredagh both have progressed in the Down senior championship in recent years and based on underage this looks set to continue. Neighbours St.Brigids are also making strides and have pushed on massively at senior mens this year. St.Endas have now a huge population to pick from and are doing superb work at underage. East Belfast have just set up also which is great to see. GAA in Belfast is thriving as far as I can see.

The issue is the traditional strongholds of Pauls, Sarsfields, Jonnies and Galls etc. They all seem to be in decline.

Never Give Up

The problem with metropolitan GAA has there is no real affiliation to one club or parish which is the cornerstone of rural gaa rivalry. For the greater part Dublin or Belfast talented players would kick ball for whichever club GAA or otherwise met their needs at that time

Ciall

Quote from: ck on October 25, 2021, 11:49:00 PM
Carryduff and Bredagh both have progressed in the Down senior championship in recent years and based on underage this looks set to continue. Neighbours St.Brigids are also making strides and have pushed on massively at senior mens this year. St.Endas have now a huge population to pick from and are doing superb work at underage. East Belfast have just set up also which is great to see. GAA in Belfast is thriving as far as I can see.

The issue is the traditional strongholds of Pauls, Sarsfields, Jonnies and Galls etc. They all seem to be in decline.

I think this, and the other comments on other pages about Belfast "dying" are completely short sighted, as is with the thoughts that Gaelfast can change the whole scene in 3 years- amidst a pandemic and with people on furlough. New man in there now and I'm keen to see what he can do.
What we see now at senior level is a lack of effort from many of these clubs 5-15 years ago. Clubs recognised that and moved to change that! St Paul's have a set of good minors due to come through and there is a steady flow of players thereafter, with even some success below. Sarsfields have massive numbers at the young age. Davitts reconnected with their schools about 6/7 years ago and continue that now, the senior teams will see these benefits in a number of years. To me, A club state of play isn't how their senior team is performing it's that their financially secure, have a thriving membership base and facilities to boot. Worry about winning championships after that.
You don't necessarily need parishes in Belfast but you can't expect school children to just join a club either. Forge links with local schools and build that pipeline. I saw Gaelfast was offering funding to fund club personnel to go into local schools, forge a link and recruit, that's the right idea in my opinion.
Dublin clubs have full time coaches that recruit solely for them, unless a huge amount of cash turns up, that won't be the case here. That is a problem in the initial funding application for Gaelfast, should've asked for the whole hog and see what we got after that.
I do think it's time for Gaelfast and the county to step up and let us know the plan! But I'm confident in the people there working on it, much more so than some of the halfwits that post on this board

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Never Give Up on October 26, 2021, 01:10:29 AM
The problem with metropolitan GAA has there is no real affiliation to one club or parish which is the cornerstone of rural gaa rivalry. For the greater part Dublin or Belfast talented players would kick ball for whichever club GAA or otherwise met their needs at that time

You really think that? You really think that clubs in Belfast don't have a bond with their members? A sense of family? Would all be happy to move on to another club? And of course that club will bring them on board like one of their own?

Interesting view, it's surprising then that the Belfast clubs have won anything in the past
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

general_lee

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 26, 2021, 08:45:34 AM
Quote from: Never Give Up on October 26, 2021, 01:10:29 AM

You really think that? You really think that clubs in Belfast don't have a bond with their members? A sense of family? Would all be happy to move on to another club? And of course that club will bring them on board like one of their own?
Interesting view, it's surprising then that the Belfast clubs have won anything in the past
I work with a fella from Belfast. His family have ties to about 3/4 clubs. His niece plays for St. Paul's and the nephew St. John's. Both might have played underage at St Agnes... it happens in Lurgan to a certain extent too to be fair, outside of traditional families players just follow their mates at school.

Probably not so much a problem at St Gall's  anymore but how did they welcome new players, especially at senior level?

Saffsof82

Some Belfast clubs have taken their eye off the ball in recent years. Dependent on traditional families to supply players. But the economic boom years of the mid 2000s alot of west belfast gaels took the opportunity to sell up and move the the burbs or beyond. Clubs need to take a look at how they are recruiting. Seeing clubs like ODS, gorts, Davitts, eire og, st agnes doing lots of great juvenile work, sending their own coaches into schools, recruiting from the primary schools then.