?
10 (52.6%)

Total Members Voted: 19

WaterBoy

Quote from: braveheart on May 10, 2018, 03:07:45 PM
Quote from: the half-time show on May 10, 2018, 02:43:16 PM
Quote from: Buzzkill on May 10, 2018, 01:43:03 PM
Quote from: Glenman93 on May 09, 2018, 08:53:16 PM
http://derrygaa.ie/fixturesandresults/?countyBoardID=7&compGroupID=51239&leagueTable=y

Is this league cup going to turn out to be a complete farce?  Looks like Lavey has conceded all their games already!?

Surely Lavey could field their fringe players or reserves if they dont want their seniors to compete in this league cup. Or is there a cup competition for reserves as well?

I wouldn't say it'll turn out a complete farce but I certainly don't think it'll go as well as intended.  Many of the club players that I've spoken with would rather have a break from action for a week or two rather than running off another 7 games that have very little meaning. 

Two solutions that I think would improve the overall approach would be to either remove the reserve fixtures in it allowing clubs to field a mix of senior and reserve players, reducing the strain on clubs that don't have big panels (county players aren't able to play in this competition) and allowing older / injured players to take a rest if needed. 
Alternatively, split the divisions into 4 groups of 4 rather than just 2 smaller leagues.  Each club then plays just 3 games which could be held every other weekend allowing players a week off in between and then the winners of each group play in a semi final and final for the "League Cup".

I can understand the thinking behind it but with a few small tweaks it would be even more beneficial to players looking extra games but also keen to have a break in action.
Would this not be a great opportunity to play the u21 competition?

I don't think so as players on the u20 & Senior County panels would not be available to the club u21 teams.  Plus the idea of these cup games is to have regular football for the ordinary club player while inter county players are unavailable.  I think this is a good idea in principle and would commend the CCC for their efforts in trying something like this, especially when the training to game ratio is so poor already.  No doubt the format can be tweaked and improved but it will take buy in & feedback from the clubs to make it a success.     
Mama says that foos-ball is the devil

toby47

Quote from: WaterBoy on May 10, 2018, 03:47:37 PM
http://derrygaa.ie/fixturesandresults/?countyBoardID=7&compGroupID=51239&leagueTable=y

Is this league cup going to turn out to be a complete farce?  Looks like Lavey has conceded all their games already!?

Surely Lavey could field their fringe players or reserves if they dont want their seniors to compete in this league cup. Or is there a cup competition for reserves as well?

I wouldn't say it'll turn out a complete farce but I certainly don't think it'll go as well as intended.  Many of the club players that I've spoken with would rather have a break from action for a week or two rather than running off another 7 games that have very little meaning. 

Two solutions that I think would improve the overall approach would be to either remove the reserve fixtures in it allowing clubs to field a mix of senior and reserve players, reducing the strain on clubs that don't have big panels (county players aren't able to play in this competition) and allowing older / injured players to take a rest if needed. 
Alternatively, split the divisions into 4 groups of 4 rather than just 2 smaller leagues.  Each club then plays just 3 games which could be held every other weekend allowing players a week off in between and then the winners of each group play in a semi final and final for the "League Cup".

I can understand the thinking behind it but with a few small tweaks it would be even more beneficial to players looking extra games but also keen to have a break in action.

I don't think so as players on the u20 & Senior County panels would not be available to the club u21 teams.  Plus the idea of these cup games is to have regular football for the ordinary club player while inter county players are unavailable.  I think this is a good idea in principle and would commend the CCC for their efforts in trying something like this, especially when the training to game ratio is so poor already.  No doubt the format can be tweaked and improved but it will take buy in & feedback from the clubs to make it a success. 

I feel this year could set a marker of how the competition is viewed. If it was taken seriously the competition could grow over the next couple of years to be a worthwhile competitive tournament however I feel if a team (or more than one) pulsl out and it's not taken very seriously then more clubs could feel its not worthwhile next year and rather than get 7 meaningless games over 10 weeks could take a 2-3 week break then get 2-3 tough friendlies lined up the couple of weeks leading upto the 2nd round of league games.

WaterBoy

Quote from: toby47 on May 10, 2018, 03:59:33 PM

I feel this year could set a marker of how the competition is viewed. If it was taken seriously the competition could grow over the next couple of years to be a worthwhile competitive tournament however I feel if a team (or more than one) pulsl out and it's not taken very seriously then more clubs could feel its not worthwhile next year and rather than get 7 meaningless games over 10 weeks could take a 2-3 week break then get 2-3 tough friendlies lined up the couple of weeks leading upto the 2nd round of league games.

Yeah, it will all depend on how the clubs treat it.  Not a good start with Lavey pulling out already.  Personally I'd have liked to have seen a regional championship  played at this stage in Senior Intermediate & Junior.  Group stages then into quarter/semi Finals.  Short travel times so midweek games could be played & local rivalries with a North/South Derry championship trophy as a prize to give it some importance to the clubs/players
Mama says that foos-ball is the devil

Waataboutyee

Quote from: WaterBoy on May 10, 2018, 04:23:04 PM
Quote from: toby47 on May 10, 2018, 03:59:33 PM

Yeah, it will all depend on how the clubs treat it.  Not a good start with Lavey pulling out already.  Personally I'd have liked to have seen a regional championship  played at this stage in Senior Intermediate & Junior.  Group stages then into quarter/semi Finals.  Short travel times so midweek games could be played & local rivalries with a North/South Derry championship trophy as a prize to give it some importance to the clubs/players
Lavey do what Lavey do

Agree that it would be much better if it was one game only. Teams like Slaughtneil and even Lavey who have a number of players on the county football and hurling panels might struggle to field two teams but surely could get 15 players out of somewhere.

On another note I see Chrissy has been named as captain of the small ball team. That is putting some demands on him now.

Just when I've nothing else to do, what is the story around Screen. Losing 6 from 7 is not the type of start you would expect from one of the big guns. Players injured/missing? Management? In house fighting?  At least their discipline issues haven't raised its head - yet!

BackInTheGame

I don't mind the idea of these cups. You'd have thought that most teams would have been trying to arrange challenge games during this break. This, in theory, takes that hassle away from the clubs.

Not sure anyone should be pulling out. Sure, give the fringe seniors and the better reserves some games if you want to rest your main men.

thepundit

IMO I think the 8 week block could be used in a more beneficial way. A League cup will not be taken seriously and there is no real benefit of it other than players getting uncompetitive game time. I would like the 8 week block to used to try something radical. Something different to incorporate the whole county. I would like to see a championship played like the one used in Kerry with district teams. Forget divisions and give our intermediate and Junior players a chance to play against the Senior sides minus their county men. I think players from all divisions would get behind it. For example,Trasna,Ardmore,Doire Colmcille, dolans etc players joining or Lissan, Desertmartin, Ogra and Moneymore players joining to compete against these Senior sides. It not only makes this 8 week block meaningful but also develops players and gives a chance for our second and third division players to impress the county selectors.

lenny

Quote from: thepundit on May 11, 2018, 03:17:50 PM
IMO I think the 8 week block could be used in a more beneficial way. A League cup will not be taken seriously and there is no real benefit of it other than players getting uncompetitive game time. I would like the 8 week block to used to try something radical. Something different to incorporate the whole county. I would like to see a championship played like the one used in Kerry with district teams. Forget divisions and give our intermediate and Junior players a chance to play against the Senior sides minus their county men. I think players from all divisions would get behind it. For example,Trasna,Ardmore,Doire Colmcille, dolans etc players joining or Lissan, Desertmartin, Ogra and Moneymore players joining to compete against these Senior sides. It not only makes this 8 week block meaningful but also develops players and gives a chance for our second and third division players to impress the county selectors.

Would it be a knockout championship. If it is then 50% of players only get one game. Also what about the players from those junior clubs who aren't selected for these divisional teams? What do they do during this 8 week gap?

JoG2

Superb win for the minors yesterday and very tough luck on the hurlers.

Donegal at CP today fortnight. Bonner has put together a formidable front 6. Serious pace. Their HF line was excellent today and Michael Murphy was absolutely superb. He covered some ground, had a tonne of possession and continuously played the ball forward at speed with purpose
We'll have to, ah, we know what we have to do, will we be able is the million pound question??

restorepride

Quote from: JoG2 on May 13, 2018, 08:25:26 PM

Donegal at CP today fortnight. Bonner has put together a formidable front 6. Serious pace. Their HF line was excellent today and Michael Murphy was absolutely superb. He covered some ground, had a tonne of possession and continuously played the ball forward at speed with purpose
We'll have to, ah, we know what we have to do, will we be able is the million pound question??
Hardly a million pound question? I'll give you an answer for 50p.

toby47

A lot of games conceded over the weekend, doesn't look great for these tournaments.

On a brighter note, championship draw tomorrow night.

Real Talk

Quote from: JoG2 on May 13, 2018, 08:25:26 PM

Good to know that our minors are at a decent competitive standard

Is there a rule that Div3 and Div4  National Football League Counties can play their U20 players in that same years' Senior Championship ?

braveheart

16 senior fixtures were due to be played yesterday,9 were conceded. Thus far,Of the 8 minor fixtures due to be played tonight 6 have been conceded

Newbridge Exile

Banagher v forglen in intermediate and Slaughtneil v Magheragelt in senior probably the pick of the first round championship ties

You, Yew and Ewe

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on May 15, 2018, 08:32:20 PM
Banagher v forglen in intermediate and Slaughtneil v Magheragelt in senior probably the pick of the first round championship ties

O'Neill SFC ( 7-9 September)
Magherafelt v Slaughtneil
Coleraine v Glenullin
Greenlough v Newbridge
Ballinascreen v Bellaghy
Lavey v Dungiven
Swatragh v Glen
Loup v Claudy
Kilrea v Ballinderry

The McFeely Group IFC (24-26 August)
Drum Bye
Drumsurn Bye
Faughanvale v Ballerin
Craigbane v Ballymaguigan
Castledawson v Slaughtmanus
Steelstown v Lissan
Desertmartin v Doire Trasna
Banagher v Foreglen

Premier Electrics JFC (10-12 August)
Magilligan v Ogra Colmcille
Glack v Moneymore
Ardmore v Limvady
Doire Colmcille v Sean Dolan's

Aye, let's bring it on!

shawshank

As a result of county football the county board have been forced to reduce the senior league and introduce subsidiary compos to give players games in the 8/9 week period of no league football. I am interested to hear what posters thoughts onare Lavey pulling out on block of the competitions that have been put in place for teams over the next 8/9 weeks.  I would like to know why they have done this, as without knowing their rationale its looks so disrespectful to clubs and the competitions the county board have provided.