The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 14, 2021, 09:01:35 AM
Quote from: An Watcher on September 13, 2021, 11:29:24 PM
There is absolutely no way you could leave poulter out of that team.  Ridiculous record in the ryder cup
He has played shit golf all year, this is a Sky Sports pick. Up the Yanks!

Are you sure?

He's been consistently top 40 all season on the PGA tour. His record is pretty much the same as Justin Rose. it's not shite golf, it's usually 3 good rounds and a mediocre one.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 14, 2021, 09:01:35 AM
Quote from: An Watcher on September 13, 2021, 11:29:24 PM
There is absolutely no way you could leave poulter out of that team.  Ridiculous record in the ryder cup
He has played shit golf all year, this is a Sky Sports pick. Up the Yanks!
Not that Harrington would consider it as a factor, but I'd say Sky Sports were doing cartwheels when Poulter was picked.
So much of their pumping of the event will involve Poulter.
Since Medinah in 2012 his RC record has been moderate - 3 points in 7 matches. But no, he's the ultimate Ryder Cup beast, the postman, the machine, unbeatable, unplayable...

thebigfella

Match play is a completely different animal, and with the totally one sided spectators you'll need people that will thrive on that. Poulter for me will always get the nod in match play for this very reason and coupled with he's 3rd in strokes gained putting this year (6th last year) means Rose was never really in contention.

Poulter is in for the very same reason Leona Maguire made the Solheim Cup picks, putts great and can do it under pressure. 

Orior

Quote from: thebigfella on September 14, 2021, 02:01:32 PM
Match play is a completely different animal, and with the totally one sided spectators you'll need people that will thrive on that. Poulter for me will always get the nod in match play for this very reason and coupled with he's 3rd in strokes gained putting this year (6th last year) means Rose was never really in contention.

Poulter is in for the very same reason Leona Maguire made the Solheim Cup picks, putts great and can do it under pressure.

If he is as good as you say he is, then why has he only 3 points from 7 matches? Fist pumping and bug eyes do not win matches.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Cobra

Quote from: Orior on September 14, 2021, 02:36:05 PM

If he is as good as you say he is, then why has he only 3 points from 7 matches? Fist pumping and bug eyes do not win matches.

He's 5-0-1 in the singles. 14-6-2 overall
https://www.golfchannel.com/news/ryder-cup-capsules-meet-european-team

Cobra

I was surprised Paddy went for Sergio over Rose... Given that he hates Sergio and lets be honest he's pretty easy to dislike.

screenexile

Sounds like Bryson is practicing more for the big drive competition just after the Ryder Cup!!

Gabriel_Hurl

He's never lost a singles match in his RC career

Hound

Quote from: Cobra on September 14, 2021, 03:29:11 PM
I was surprised Paddy went for Sergio over Rose... Given that he hates Sergio and lets be honest he's pretty easy to dislike.
The dislike comes from Sergio rather than from Harrington. Beating him to two majors and being a bit slow got on Sergio's wick.

But they're supposed to have patched things up a few years ago.

Garcia and Poulter have both been in better form this year than Rose and have better Ryder Cup records. Harrington has hinted for at least 4 weeks that they were going to be two of his picks.
Rose has come into form very recently and I'd guess Harrington would have been happy had Westwood fallen out of an automatic spot, like he almost did.

Although I think the biggest weaklinks will be Tyrell Hatton and Matt Fitzpatrick. Both out of form, particularly Hatton. 

Boycey

None of yis think then that Lowry a slightly lucky pick?

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Cobra on September 14, 2021, 03:27:56 PM

He's 5-0-1 in the singles. 14-6-2 overall
https://www.golfchannel.com/news/ryder-cup-capsules-meet-european-team
His great record was built from 2004 to 2012. His career as well as his Ryder Cup record has tailed since then.
I'm not saying he isn't worth a pick, but his reputation has far out shadowed his delivery for a while now.

screenexile

Quote from: Boycey on September 14, 2021, 04:14:22 PM

Not really is he not the next form player in line after Westwood and Wiesberger?

Boycey

Quote from: screenexile on September 14, 2021, 04:45:12 PM

Not really is he not the next form player in line after Westwood and Wiesberger?

Yeah there is that but look at it another way he didn't qualify automatically by either of the avenues open to him so he's not exactly pulling up trees himself? The other three have all had stellar Ryder Cup careers which might be a distinct advantage in a tough away match in the US?

Im sure Padraig would have rather Lowry snuck into the last automatic place allowing him to pick the other 3

screenexile

Brooks' comments not really filling you full of confidence for what's to come from USA 2/1 probably a decent price for Europe!

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Boycey on September 14, 2021, 05:08:54 PM
Quote from: screenexile on September 14, 2021, 04:45:12 PM

Yeah there is that but look at it another way he didn't qualify automatically by either of the avenues open to him so he's not exactly pulling up trees himself? The other three have all had stellar Ryder Cup careers which might be a distinct advantage in a tough away match in the US?

Im sure Padraig would have rather Lowry snuck into the last automatic place allowing him to pick the other 3

Ideally Lowry would have auto-qualified to take the scrutiny off him. Lowry is a better player than Wiesberger for example, but if both of them score poorly, it's Lowry (and Harrington) that will get the flak.
Harrington is slightly out on a limb in picking a rookie when the other options were experienced.
Lowry's form is decent in the last couple of months, he hasn't missed cuts in a long time, but he still didn't manage a couple of bumper results to put the issue beyond doubt.

There is an assumption that because he's from Offaly and therefore naturally likeable, that this makes him ideal for team events. Maybe so. However, that could be counter productive. Could his keen sense of 'teamness' put too much pressure on him to want to deliver for the collective? He's standing over a crucial putt and his fear of letting down the team that he has bought into might weigh heavily on him.

Look at his poor record in the Irish Open since winning it. It's usually on links courses in front of a very supportive gallery. In the build up he always stresses how he'd love to do well in his home tournament and how he feels patriotic. Yet he struggles to do well in it. The Olympics too. He was clearly proud to be representing Ireland and very eager to deliver but it unravelled for him