Things that make you go What the F**k?

Started by The Real Laoislad, November 19, 2007, 05:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Rudi on September 14, 2021, 09:49:29 AM
Parents of 3rd level students in Limerick paying 390 euro a week for hotel accommodation for their kids. What if you had 3 kids in college at once. Jaysus 1 would be bad. What is our political system / public servants at?

I'm sure things are bad this year but there was always an element of this. When I was a student in Dublin 40 years ago I had to stay in the youth hostel for the first week or two. Now that resulted from a place where the landlady withdrew at the last minute, but there was always a problem matching places to people.
What may be different now is that Belfast, Limerick etc are as bad as Dublin. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rudi

Quote from: armaghniac on September 14, 2021, 01:50:49 PM
Parents of 3rd level students in Limerick paying 390 euro a week for hotel accommodation for their kids. What if you had 3 kids in college at once. Jaysus 1 would be bad. What is our political system / public servants at?

I'm sure things are bad this year but there was always an element of this. When I was a student in Dublin 40 years ago I had to stay in the youth hostel for the first week or two. Now that resulted from a place where the landlady withdrew at the last minute, but there was always a problem matching places to people.

390 euro a week is savage for Limerick, no wonder some students are living in tents. Locals will be renting out a small plot in fields at this rate. System is broken when that happens, no incentive to better yourself.

J70

Quote from: Rudi on September 14, 2021, 02:11:33 PM

390 euro a week is savage for Limerick, no wonder some students are living in tents. Locals will be renting out a small plot in fields at this rate. System is broken when that happens, no incentive to better yourself.

Back in my undergrad days, 30 years ago, we were getting decent semi-detached houses in nice parts of south Dublin for around about that price per month. For the whole house.

brokencrossbar1

What is also happening in some circumstances is that the student has the room Monday to Thursday night and then the room is Air BnB for the weekend at a nightly rate. So the student gets it for €300 for 4 nights and then it's rent out for the weekend.  It's greed at the highest level. Some of the figures being spoken of is shocking and universities really are not helping it either

Armagh18

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 14, 2021, 02:37:48 PM
What is also happening in some circumstances is that the student has the room Monday to Thursday night and then the room is Air BnB for the weekend at a nightly rate. So the student gets it for €300 for 4 nights and then it's rent out for the weekend.  It's greed at the highest level. Some of the figures being spoken of is shocking and universities really are not helping it either
This is nuts. So the student has to clear everything out at the weekend? Disgrace.

Rudi

Quote from: J70 on September 14, 2021, 02:22:29 PM
Quote from: Rudi on September 14, 2021, 02:11:33 PM

Back in my undergrad days, 30 years ago, we were getting decent semi-detached houses in nice parts of south Dublin for around about that price per month. For the whole house.

There is a big craze in Ireland with horse boxes converted to coffee / tea take away joints. I can see an even bigger alternative use at this rate. Failing that one of those Japanese capsule hotel type things. Joking of course.

Tony Baloney

A friend of the missus has bought a house in Belfast for her ones as she says it'll work out cheaper in the long run. It's a bit of a joke at the minute.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armagh18

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 14, 2021, 03:44:01 PM
A friend of the missus has bought a house in Belfast for her ones as she says it'll work out cheaper in the long run. It's a bit of a joke at the minute.
Some investment sure it won't be long paying for itself.

Armagh18

Quote from: grounded on September 15, 2021, 07:56:17 PM
I can't believe this sort of carry on is still tolerated.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-58555694.amp
make ye sick reading it. He has a point here though "From an animal welfare point of view, it's a good way of killing meat - far better than keeping cows and pigs imprisoned,"

J70

Quote from: Armagh18 on September 16, 2021, 07:36:59 AM

make ye sick reading it. He has a point here though "From an animal welfare point of view, it's a good way of killing meat - far better than keeping cows and pigs imprisoned,"

Its a valid point.

Most people eat meat, milk and eggs as if it just materializes on the supermarket shelves by magic and not, in most cases, as a result of industrial farming, animal husbandry and slaughter.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: J70 on September 16, 2021, 12:41:19 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on September 16, 2021, 07:36:59 AM

Its a valid point.

Most people eat meat, milk and eggs as if it just materializes on the supermarket shelves by magic and not, in most cases, as a result of industrial farming, animal husbandry and slaughter.

It's the fact that they killed 1400 is the big issue though, surely there should have been some thought to stop at a point. People were obviously enjoying it to keep going.

armaghniac

Stunt with anti vax message from fake funeral home

the website tells you to get vaccinated!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B