Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: Dreadnought on November 29, 2021, 08:08:39 AM
Quote from: Itchy on November 23, 2021, 11:27:24 AM
Anyone else hear Sean Johnston is now added as a selector to Cavan Seniors. A real poor appointment in my opinion, how anyone could listen to the likes of him on a county panel is beyond me.

Just as a Forwards coach, no? Not sure he's a selector as well considering Graham has John and Ricey there as well...

Don't know. Personally speaking I would not have this fella anywhere near our county panel given what happened before and I can't think of any other county in the land that would tolerate such a thing. How any player being asked for commitment and dedication and to put their body on the line for their county could be sitting in a dressing room looking across at himself is beyond me. A very poor call from Graham.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Itchy on November 29, 2021, 11:18:31 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on November 29, 2021, 08:08:39 AM
Quote from: Itchy on November 23, 2021, 11:27:24 AM
Anyone else hear Sean Johnston is now added as a selector to Cavan Seniors. A real poor appointment in my opinion, how anyone could listen to the likes of him on a county panel is beyond me.

Just as a Forwards coach, no? Not sure he's a selector as well considering Graham has John and Ricey there as well...

Don't know. Personally speaking I would not have this fella anywhere near our county panel given what happened before and I can't think of any other county in the land that would tolerate such a thing. How any player being asked for commitment and dedication and to put their body on the line for their county could be sitting in a dressing room looking across at himself is beyond me. A very poor call from Graham.

Bit harsh that, he's been our best produced forward for the last 20 years. Sure, he absolutely made a massive mistake, but he's not in selecting or managing the team. He's coaching forwards, and lord knows we could do with some coaching to the level he was at. We need another player who can get you those number of points from play per game that he guaranteed you. If he comes in and does well, it's win win. might not banish the nad taste from that fiasco, but he can do some good here and Graham clearly trusts him.

Itchy

I dont agree he's our best forward in 20 yrs. He's did nothing worth talking about in ulster champ. His clubman Martin Dunne did more in one season. As for making a mistake, has he ever admitted to a mistake or expressed remorse - I don't think so? I see an unapologetic man who is and was all about himself. A very very poor appointment.

Anyway, he's hardly worth wasting words on so I'll say no more.

rodney trotter

Dreadnought

Quote from: Itchy on November 30, 2021, 09:00:18 PM
I dont agree he's our best forward in 20 yrs. He's did nothing worth talking about in ulster champ. His clubman Martin Dunne did more in one season. As for making a mistake, has he ever admitted to a mistake or expressed remorse - I don't think so? I see an unapologetic man who is and was all about himself. A very very poor appointment.

Really don't know how you could say that. He was easily our best in the last 20 years, no matter what way you spin it. Yes, Dunne had one good season when we got a run on a few poor teams, but nothing before or after that. Johnston was at least consistent, knew where the posts were, and scored freely regularly. I recall games where he won it for us many times over the years. he was always touted as the best player from Cavan on other peoples shortlists for years. Always the targeted man as well, and yet he still got the scores. Look, you don't have to like him. We know the reasons and I'd have them myself. But lets not pretend he wasn't a cracking player and wasn't our best forward in the last 20 years. If he passes on any knowledge to our current crop, then this works for me.

Cavan19

Quote from: Dreadnought on December 01, 2021, 09:26:38 AM

Really don't know how you could say that. He was easily our best in the last 20 years, no matter what way you spin it. Yes, Dunne had one good season when we got a run on a few poor teams, but nothing before or after that. Johnston was at least consistent, knew where the posts were, and scored freely regularly. I recall games where he won it for us many times over the years. he was always touted as the best player from Cavan on other peoples shortlists for years. Always the targeted man as well, and yet he still got the scores. Look, you don't have to like him. We know the reasons and I'd have them myself. But lets not pretend he wasn't a cracking player and wasn't our best forward in the last 20 years. If he passes on any knowledge to our current crop, then this works for me.

He was a league player never did a whole lot in the Ulster Championship when the chips were down.

I wouldn't have him about the place either he wouldn't be a good role model for younger players.

Itchy

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 30, 2021, 09:36:47 PM
He has spoken about  it, sure he returned and played for Cavan from 16 to 18. 

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/always-wanted-play-cavan-seanie-johnston-opens-hard-kildare-saga-116773

I read that alright before. There is no regret in it only self pity. The game he came on against Cavan in for Kildare was a 20 point hammering, he came on and everyone on the Kildare team was trying to give him the ball to score. It was pre-meditated, there wasn't even a need to bring him on it that game. It was a kick in the balls to Cavan nothing more. No one is entitled to play for their county - you earn it and better players than Johnson have been dropped for their counties. The sense of entitlement and self pity are unreal, I could respect a man who said he made a big mistake and was sorry for it but thats not what we are dealing with here.

Dreadnought, I dont doubt he was a very skilled player but my challenge to you is to put up some Ulster championship stats on his scoring in those big games. They are not half as good as you think. No where near Jason, Larry etc. All his big shows were in the league and a lot in Div 3. The fact that lazy journalists say otherwise is neither here nor there. Martin Dunne was 2nd top scores in the country in the championship that year, only passed out on all ireland final day if I recall correctly.

rodney trotter

Paul Brady and Michael Hannon involved in the new Longford management team.

Any retirements from the County panel? Martin Reilly got a bad injury against Tyrone

Westside

I don't think stats is really a good way to measure Johnston's time with Cavan. He came through as Cavan entered probably their lowest ebb. The whole Kildare thing, the stories about his attitude etc don't negate the fact that he was extremely talented. The most naturally gifted marksman I have seen play for Cavan. A good forward doesn't necessarily make a good forward coach though. I hope he's there because he's a good coach and not because he's from the Gaels and knows Mickey.

Look-Up!

I'd be leaning towards Westside's opinion there. No doubt SJ was an extremely talented forward. His club record is exceptional. We've seen more effective forwards in Championship for Cavan last 20yrs but think he suffered from playing in weaker teams so was easily isolated by seasoned Ulster defenders. If he had come on the scene around the time of our good U21 teams who knows what could have been.

I don't know the man but have heard a lot of second hand horror stories. But TBH, anyone I have spoken to who has had direct dealings with him -be it playing for club or county, students of his or people outside of football- I have never heard them bad mouth him or recount any diva stories. I've only heard them speak well of him, a pleasant friendly lad by all accounts.

The Kildare affair left for bad optics but it's a long time ago, he was a young lad in his 20s who only wanted to play ball. I happen to agree with Andrew's shaking up the squad and have no doubt Seanie would have been back in sooner or later but unfortunately he took it worse than could have been anticipated and with Geezer in his ear, made a very impulsive decision. If we were to be all judged by what we did in our 20's, none of us would be smelling too good.

Itchy

He was 26 years old when he did all that, hardly an impressionable teenager. I see no remorse or accountability since 2012. If you don't got those it doesn't matter about ability or anything else. You lack credibility when the chips are down. Why Graham would drag up this skeleton out of the closet is beyond my comprehension.

Cavan19

Quote from: Itchy on December 02, 2021, 03:15:17 PM
He was 26 years old when he did all that, hardly an impressionable teenager. I see no remorse or accountability since 2012. If you don't got those it doesn't matter about ability or anything else. You lack credibility when the chips are down. Why Graham would drag up this skeleton out of the closet is beyond my comprehension.

Graham asked Ricey to join the Cavan setup after a few pints in the Boars head it's possible Johnston was knocking about that day as well.

Westside

Quote from: Itchy on December 02, 2021, 03:15:17 PM

To be fair Itchy, he came back and played for Cavan since. Had he never put back on the Cavan jersey after he left for Kildare it would be a skeleton but he was back in the squad, was with the team to an Ulster Semi Final replay and promotion to Division 1. The Kildare drama, whatever shadow it casts on his legacy and whether people forgave him or not, was put to bed once Terry brought him back.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Cavan19 on December 01, 2021, 09:55:17 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on December 01, 2021, 09:26:38 AM

He was a league player never did a whole lot in the Ulster Championship when the chips were down.

I wouldn't have him about the place either he wouldn't be a good role model for younger players.

Ah now, that's unfair. We were brutal all over in his time pre 2010, yet in many of the games we did win in Championship in that era, he was our best player and top scorer. When he came back, I recall a few very good performances against Armagh in 16. He did do a whole lot, certainly more than some. He was always our stand out player that only teams had to target and team up on. Lets not be revisionist here due to what he did...

rodney trotter

McMemamin will likely be a backs coach, along with a selector. Martin Corey seems to be sill involved so will be a few voices on the training ground.