Standard of Refs

Started by guevara, July 01, 2023, 07:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 02, 2023, 10:02:21 AM
Quote from: Main Street on July 02, 2023, 03:54:55 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 01, 2023, 09:42:24 PM
Tbf to that ref the shoulder that turbitt got which initially looked like a foul he called absolutely right and armagh would have won had he given it. I think most refs would have called it wrong too.
It wasn't a foul and kudos to Conor for spotting that but why the throwball decision when Monaghan had gained possession of the ball?

I thought at the time it was a fair, if hard, hit. Seen the video there and while I've, wrongly, seen them given Lane got that one right
Yes but why then did Conor Lane not give a free out to Monaghan, what was the reason for the throw ball decision?
What I saw was Conor wasn't sure either way if it was a definite  foul or a good shoulder and decided to throw up the ball between two players (with 20 others in close proximity). Or the only other circumstance was that he thought it was a foul but decided to throw up the ball after taking exception to something an Armagh player did.

tonto1888

Quote from: Main Street on July 02, 2023, 12:02:13 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on July 02, 2023, 10:02:21 AM
Quote from: Main Street on July 02, 2023, 03:54:55 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 01, 2023, 09:42:24 PM
Tbf to that ref the shoulder that turbitt got which initially looked like a foul he called absolutely right and armagh would have won had he given it. I think most refs would have called it wrong too.
It wasn't a foul and kudos to Conor for spotting that but why the throwball decision when Monaghan had gained possession of the ball?

I thought at the time it was a fair, if hard, hit. Seen the video there and while I've, wrongly, seen them given Lane got that one right
Yes but why then did Conor Lane not give a free out to Monaghan, what was the reason for the throw ball decision?
What I saw was Conor wasn't sure either way if it was a definite  foul or a good shoulder and decided to throw up the ball between two players (with 20 others in close proximity). Or the only other circumstance was that he thought it was a foul but decided to throw up the ball after taking exception to something an Armagh player did.

No idea mate. I don't like trying to second guess refs these days

grounded

I'M not sure if this should be in the wtf thead or this ref one

https://twitter.com/GAA__JOE/status/1675405676963667969

onefineday

Quote from: Itchy on July 02, 2023, 09:24:53 AM
Quote from: onefineday on July 02, 2023, 07:34:19 AM
Quote from: Throw ball on July 02, 2023, 01:10:49 AM
Going on the fair today gaelic football is in serious bother. People can laugh and joke at Armagh and their supporters but the last couple of years they have brought numbers to matches. That will soon change if the fare on show continues to be so poor. Look at Tyrone. They used to have a massive support. The football they served up for years now means the local country GAA club could host their games.
As I endured that game which obviously got very tense and exciting as it dragged on I thought it should be taken and examined by the rules committee or whatever the team charged with looking after the future of the game is called, as it had great examples of everything that is ruining the game of Gaelic football.
I'm not trying to rain on Monaghan's parade and Christ knows Derry v cork might not be easy in the eye later, but that was a hard watch.
Ref got a number of calls wrong, but it's not an easy gig, particularly when teams are as negative as they were today.
The black card needs looked at anyway, it should be expanded from the very narrow range it currently applies to. There were totally cynical play stopping tackles in abundance today, any time football looked like breaking out someone wrestled the man with the ball to the ground or held him up until the cavalry arrived.
Did I see that Armagh had 2 wides today? Could that be right, 16 odd shots in 90/100 mins? Virtually no goal threat from either team in that time, 11 of 28 scores from frees. Totally stop start with no flow at all.
I've said it before, we need to make rule changes to remove the negative options, the fear of losing means teams will take the safest option until that is no longer an option.
This game, a selection of rossie games, a few recent ulster finals, any number of senior club championship games up and down the country should be used to obtain the evidence of the problems and come up with rules countering them or we're not going to have something that spectators want to watch or that players are going to want to play.
90% of what you've typed has nothing to do with refereeing?
I know, figured it'd be better on another thread, but phone typing can be tough on this site!
I've sympathy for refs, thankless gig, I'm sure they go out with best intentions and get it in the ear on a personal level from all sides. Not helped by players and the shenanigans that go on off the ball, the cynical play and prescriptive rules like the black card which is laughably specific!!

Itchy

I have, as much as anyone, criticised referees over the years. Then a friend of mine broke through as an inter county referee and a year or two ago he was involved in a controversy where he didn't award a mark that he should have. He got severely abused on the pitch, on the line after the match in the media and social media. I asked him what happened. He said it was a dirty wet day, both teams playing 15 behind the ball and at the time 28 players in one half of the field. The lines on the pitch weren't great either and we're hard to see from any distance. Ball was kicked in and he couldn't tell where it was kicked from. He asked his linesman and he said he didn't see either as he was distracted by 2 lads wrestling on the ground off the ball. So he made wrong call. Point is, it is not easy at all and you've pretty limited help to make correct decision. You've one look at it. We've lads on here after watching 20 replays arguing over whether something was a free or not!

Angus MacGyver

Joe McQuillan playing with Derry here...

DuffleKing

McQuillan consistently favours favourites / profile. I'm sure it's subconscious...

Itchy

Bullshit lads. Nothing worth talking about in this ref wise. Cork can't tackle or shoot.

From the Bunker

Cork look like a team that were happy to make the QFs and no get beat badly.

tonto1888

Quote from: DuffleKing on July 02, 2023, 02:56:40 PM

McQuillan consistently favours favourites / profile. I'm sure it's subconscious...

I was thinking that myself

CK_Redhand

It would be interesting to do an experiment where you show clips to referees and members of the GAA public and ask them the decision. See what sort of agreement rate there is with the predefined "correct" decision.

IMO the rulebook needs to be scrapped and rewritten from scratch. There are too many ambiguities and grey areas, not to mention additions every couple of years to try and shape how the game is played.

Referees have a very difficult job and I think if people were to see how difficult it is from this type of experiment they would have more sympathy for them. Never going to happen though.

Milltown Row2

The in house course at the start of the year, certainly at club level, consists of clips of games were calls are given or not given and the room is asked what they feel should have been given, it's never a universal yes that's a foul or that's a yellow or black. Rules tests are carried out and at intercounty level they've to reach a pass of 95% or something like that.

But the ref during play gets one go in a split second in the position he's at, whereas Joe Public expert ref gets multiple views in slow mo from his armchair with no pressure with no 80,000 people watching!!

Seems simple now?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Itchy

Would be good to have a retired ref in the studio to tell the "experts" about the rules of the game. BT do it on the soccer.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Itchy on July 02, 2023, 04:55:43 PM
Would be good to have a retired ref in the studio to tell the "experts" about the rules of the game. BT do it on the soccer.

I'm still ref'ing so not available  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Ghost

Quote from: Itchy on July 02, 2023, 04:55:43 PM

BBC had Maurice Deighan on for the Ulster final and it was downright awful at best