Armagh, an even bigger mess

Started by Dougal Maguire, March 26, 2023, 11:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sleater

I haven't been impressed with Armagh at all over the league. For all the obvious talent they have in individual players , they are collectively lesser than the sum of their parts. They play in fits and starts where they look like they could blow teams away and then spend long periods phaffing about, over complicating things. I see them against Monaghan and that summed them up - despite largely dominating the game against a very understrength Monaghan team, they won via a double f**k up from Rory Beggan and were pushed all the way when they really should have been out of sight.

They somehow got a draw against Mayo (and didn't deserve it), played very defensively in next few games trying not to lose and paid the price for it. I think for Cavan a lot will depend on whether Dara McVeety is fit or not. With the way the game is now, McVeety playing from CHB plays a vital role in breaking up play and arriving late for scores. I think Cavan have the players to match up to Armagh and the last two results for them don't matter a whole lot. Could be wrong and next weeks Div 3 final will tell where Cavan are at.

Armamike

Silly thread.  We got relegated.  We are not one of the top teams. Disappointing but hardly a mess.
That's just, like your opinion man.

imtommygunn

Quote from: An Watcher on March 26, 2023, 11:34:17 PM
If they don't make the final then it will be disappointing.  Could be facing 3 teams from division 3 this year

I don't think they'll beat Cavan though will unfortunately likely beat Antrim.

trailer

Quote from: seafoid on March 27, 2023, 09:47:27 AM
Sure it's only the league
D2 isn't a big deal.
Armagh will be there or thereabouts at the business end of the championship.
They are a top 8 team. They were rated 6 on the OTB Fuball power rankings last week.
A combination of unfortunate circumstances led to them being relegated.

Yes it's unfortunate they didn't win more games.

Kidder81

Star will hardly get his bonus now

tbrick18

Honestly thought both Tyrone and Armagh were poor enough yesterday.
Armagh seem to focus on being physical first and playing football second - that's probably a McGeeney thing.
Both teams struggled defensively I thought whilst at the same time not creating that much up front.
Peter Harte was the difference with some monster scores.
With Rian O'neill available Armagh would have probably nicked that game.
I don't think they are in a mess, but I also don't think they are as good as some make them out to be. Top 8-10 is probably about right and on their day could turn anyone over. Just a little too inconsistent so far this year.

JimStynes

Getting out of divison 2 won't be handy either! Not a whole pile coming through at underage either.

seafoid

Quote from: JimStynes on March 27, 2023, 11:24:21 AM
Getting out of divison 2 won't be handy either! Not a whole pile coming through at underage either.
D2 will be easier next year with Dublin and Derry gone. Meath and Kildare are nothing special. Donegal need a rebuild. Louth and Cork are D2 level. Armagh should be able for Fermanagh and Cavan.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Truth hurts

Armagh were beaten in the u20 championship and also beaten in the league by Down on Saturday in u17s.

yellowcard

We are not in a mess. However we had a relatively poor League campaign and I'd be worried that relegation is the start of a downward decline since we have a lot of players around the 30 mark for whom time is running out. In terms of the short term though (this years championship) it's not a complete disaster but you do wonder what the actual plan is as we have lost some of our identity during this years League and despite the denials I don't think morale can be that great after yesterdays relegation.

However I'm still hopeful that if we throw off the shackles that we will have a productive summer and get to an Ulster final at least given that we are in the easier half. But Cavan away from home could be a tricky match. Despite our relegation I still think we are a top 6 side around the same level as Tyrone, Roscommon, Derry but we need to make more use of our best players strengths rather than being too obsessed with stats, defence and team structure. I'd be a bit worried that management are still trying to overthink the gameplan after this length of time in charge. The supporters will respond in kind if they are given something to cheer but the last few months have not been good in that respect.     

seafoid

If you look at the big picture there is only one team in both Leinster and Munster. There are 2 if not 3 in Connacht. Last year there were 2 in Ulster. Tyrone were sleeping. For the quarter finals there are 3 slots for Ulster, say. Who will that be? Armagh will probably be in the mix with Derry and Tyrone.

Sportacus

Armagh aren't in a mess, they are just over hyped and need to lower their expectations.  They are a top 8 team, not a top 4 team, so All Ireland 1/4 final and an Ulster final is their realistic target. They just aren't good enough to beat a Galway or a Kerry at the business end.

JimStynes

Quote from: seafoid on March 27, 2023, 11:43:11 AM
D2 will be easier next year with Dublin and Derry gone. Meath and Kildare are nothing special. Donegal need a rebuild. Louth and Cork are D2 level. Armagh should be able for Fermanagh and Cavan.

I could easily see Armagh losing 3 or 4 of those games the way they played this year.

seafoid

Quote from: JimStynes on March 27, 2023, 01:11:22 PM

I could easily see Armagh losing 3 or 4 of those games the way they played this year.
They lost several matches by 1 or 2 points. D2 is for teams that are less organised. Eg Meath. Armagh should go straight back up.

armaghniac

Quote from: JimStynes on March 27, 2023, 01:11:22 PM

They only lost 4 games this year in  Division with much better teams and came close to good teams where they did not win. A continuation of this form would see them win most games in Div 2 as Dublin did this year,
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B