Donegal - A mess

Started by toby47, March 22, 2023, 03:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ck

Jimmy McGuinness complained last week that he offered his services but was ignored. He now needs to put his money where his mouth is and step up at a time of crisis.

tbrick18

I can fully empathise with what's happening in Donegal, feels a bit like Derry's freefall to Div 4 a few  years ago when everything was wrong from CB down.

No idea what the answer is, but it could be years before Donegal return as a force with these kinds of problems. Look at the teams in Div2 next year, Donegal, probably Monaghan, Cork, Louth, Meath, Kildare, Cavan and probably Fermanagh.
If Donegal don't get their act together you could see relegation to Div 3.

yellowcard

Quote from: ck on March 23, 2023, 10:14:51 AM
Jimmy McGuinness complained last week that he offered his services but was ignored. He now needs to put his money where his mouth is and step up at a time of crisis.

If he offered his services to manage Donegal then it begs the question what exactly have the last 8 years or so been all about for him. He went down the painstaking route of serving an apprenticeship as a soccer coach in order to get his pro licence but yet has now seemingly walked away from the sport. You would imagine that a League of Ireland club at least would have taken a punt on him by this stage or is that dream now over for him.

Dreadnought

Easier said that done. He's been in with Down a few times and they're playing each other next month. That offer was last winter, so not sure it's now incumbent on him to just jump into this mess so far into the season

JoG2

Quote from: yellowcard on March 23, 2023, 10:19:30 AM

If he offered his services to manage Donegal then it begs the question what exactly have the last 8 years or so been all about for him. He went down the painstaking route of serving an apprenticeship as a soccer coach in order to get his pro licence but yet has now seemingly walked away from the sport. You would imagine that a League of Ireland club at least would have taken a punt on him by this stage or is that dream now over for him.

He didn't though. He offered to mentor Kav and Lacey as he and his family are about and will be until the summer. He was never coming in to manage with soccer commitments.. That's both in print and podcast

yellowcard

Quote from: JoG2 on March 23, 2023, 10:59:25 AM

He didn't though. He offered to mentor Kav and Lacey as he and his family are about and will be until the summer. He was never coming in to manage with soccer commitments.. That's both in print and podcast

Fair enough, I presumed him offering his services was to manage the county senior team. What soccer commitments has he got? 

J70

Did McGuinness not complete his UEFA Pro licenses a couple of months ago?

skeog

He completed 2 lucrative deals in China and America which were total failures that set him up for life without any soccer qualifications at the time.I would say League of Ireland be his destination but sure fair play to the man for being able to amass a small fortune over a year in total.

ck

Incorrect. Listen to the podcast. He said he offered to help Kavanagh and Lacey and then when they turned it down he never heard from the county board again - which was at the core of his grievance ie: He was willing to help the man who go it, no matter who got it. Whether it's true or not, it's what he said last week.
If he was willing then, then why not step forward now when they need him, or was last week just a grenade to stir up more trouble.
Kevin Cassidy has called him out on it on social media too.

JoG2

Quote from: ck on March 23, 2023, 11:45:51 AM

Incorrect. Listen to the podcast. He said he offered to help Kavanagh and Lacey and then when they turned it down he never heard from the county board again - which was at the core of his grievance ie: He was willing to help the man who go it, no matter who got it. Whether it's true or not, it's what he said last week.
If he was willing then, then why not step forward now when they need him, or was last week just a grenade to stir up more trouble.
Kevin Cassidy has called him out on it on social media too.

What's incorrect? Mcguinness said NO to managing the county (has just finished his pro license and wants to see where that takes him in the future within professional soccer) but was willing to help in some capacity, but not as manager. Cassidy can call him out all he wants, he's stated he doesn't have the time to manage the team.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 23, 2023, 09:30:21 AM
A side point - I heard that when Donegal were in their pomp (McGuinness era),  he didn't want the county board getting their hands on any external funding. Think McGuinness had a few big London based contractors involved. So even back then things must have been bad!

Sure didn't Declan Bonner and  Charlie Mulgrew take a case to the DRA when J.J. Doherty (the manager before McGuinness) was appointed.

From what I remember the DRA came out and said the appointment process was some bit flawed but said the appointment should stand.

I think McGuinness applied either twice or three times before he got it in the end.

Fair to say the Donegal County Board have past form in terms of manger appointments.

Brick Tamlin

The whole thing stinks.
Paddy Carr and Aidan O'Rourke being thrown together as some sort of arranged marriage was never going to work.

No slight on the man but can anyone tell me what Paddy Carr's managerial CV looks like in the last 10years. Has he not more or less been out of the game?

You cant throw people like that together and expect anything other than problems.

The players clearly have issues with Carr and have made their feelings known and he's been ousted.
Strange enough that the whole management team hasnt walked together which tells me that they werent really on the same page anyway.

Jim McGuinness is some boy too. Hes been coaching Down once a week for a good bit now.
He couldnt possibly walk into a role at Donegal could he?

J70

Quote from: twohands!!! on March 23, 2023, 12:16:06 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 23, 2023, 09:30:21 AM
A side point - I heard that when Donegal were in their pomp (McGuinness era),  he didn't want the county board getting their hands on any external funding. Think McGuinness had a few big London based contractors involved. So even back then things must have been bad!

Sure didn't Declan Bonner and  Charlie Mulgrew take a case to the DRA when J.J. Doherty (the manager before McGuinness) was appointed.

From what I remember the DRA came out and said the appointment process was some bit flawed but said the appointment should stand.

I think McGuinness applied either twice or three times before he got it in the end.

Fair to say the Donegal County Board have past form in terms of manger appointments.

Can't remember the exact details, and it was the clubs, not the executive, but that autumn also saw the very undignified end of Brian McIver's reign, a year after he had resigned and then said "f**k it, I'll come back!".

Go back five years earlier, and we went months without a manager after Mickey Moran and John Morrison walked. They couldn't find anyone, so McEniff (county chairman at the time) had to step in again and ended up doing three Jekyll and Hyde seasons.

twohands!!!

Quote from: skeog on March 23, 2023, 11:35:31 AM
He completed 2 lucrative deals in China and America which were total failures that set him up for life without any soccer qualifications at the time.I would say League of Ireland be his destination but sure fair play to the man for being able to amass a small fortune over a year in total.

I'd have serious question marks about how lucrative the stints in China and America were.
He probably made ok money but given how relatively short they were I doubt that it was anywhere near set him up for life money.
He was only assistant manager in China so it very doubtful how high his wages were and while he probably did better in the US, that was a first-time manager job and I just can't see a scenario whereby a basically no-name first-time manager is on that much money especially given the budget the club he was at would be operating on. I think people hear soccer manager abroad and immediately jump to successful premier league manager for years if not decades money.

Rawhide

Completely reliable source in Donegal has said the players didn't want Bradley either, but O'Rouke told them he couldn't do it himself and needed him
cccc is a true supporter lol