NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: seafoid on March 29, 2023, 05:11:33 PM
If McBrearty and the others had been fit would they have been relegated ?
Even being relegated isn't much of a deal these days. The championship is where it's at.

I believe they would still be relegated as they had the worst management team in Div 1 and that includes the fellas they have decided to keep on for the championship.

Relegated isn't much of a deal if you can bounce back to Div 1 the following year. Armagh i expect to bounce straight back I'm more doubtful on Donegal and it will depend on who they bring in as their next manager.

An Watcher

Party culture back in donegal football

J70

Quote from: Blowitupref on March 29, 2023, 05:25:57 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on March 29, 2023, 04:40:08 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 29, 2023, 02:00:59 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/03/28/mcbrearty-insists-donegal-will-be-a-different-proposition-in-the-ulster-sfc/

McBrearty suggests the squad will be circling the wagons now and adopting that trusty 'us against the world' approach ahead of their Ulster quarter-final against Down on April 23rd.

"We have to, because as a panel of players we have been through the mill of it this year between injuries and narrow losses and we are going to have to create a siege mentality because there's a lot of people inside the county that don't want to see us do well.

"Listen, there are a lot of arrows in the back there, coming from a lot of places. We're sticking together, media, supporters, they don't know what goes on in the dressingroom and they never really will either.

"They can speculate all they want but those lads, the 35 lads in there, will stick together; we don't really care what anyone else says, to be honest with you."

Probably a good job he doesn't speak that often as this is a bit unbelievable. Facts are they lost 5 games majority of which weren't narrow losses, they them got rid of their manager and the next day out instead of proving themselves they got hammered by Roscommon.

Circling the wagon is grand but at some point they have to look at themselves and hold themselves accountable.

All that rant has done is place a higher expectation of their shoulders that they are going to come out and win the next game.

Mayo, Roscommon matches was almost a carbon copy. Both matches Donegal was competitive for 15 minutes only to find themselves 5 points behind at half time and lost by 11,12 points.

Fine that McBrearty calling for a siege mentality now but they'll need to find scorers (more than just him returning) to make any impact in the championship. Just 11 points per game average in the league and only one goal which was a penalty.

I don't see us doing anything this year, especially not in Ulster. Scores, as you say, are a huge concern (defending too, but that's another issue in addition to all the other stuff!)

McBrearty is out until at least the round robin. Ryan McHugh hasn't yet kicked a ball this year. Oisin Gallen pulled up against Mayo after being sent on unfit and only played in fits and starts before that. Peadar Mogan, usually good for a score or two, went off injured against Mayo also and missed the last day. The O'Donnell brothers, both likely starters most years, are not in the squad this season.

Pretty grim stuff!

yellowcard

I'd be surprised if Donegal get past Down in the first round. The repercussions of this years shenanigans will not be solved in a few short weeks and may affect Donegal football for years to come.

twohands!!!

Quote from: yellowcard on March 29, 2023, 06:04:45 PM
I'd be surprised if Donegal get past Down in the first round. The repercussions of this years shenanigans will not be solved in a few short weeks and may affect Donegal football for years to come.

The thing is that if Donegal do lose against Down they will still have 3 games in the round-robin stages.
Odds are this will likely be in the All-Ireland so one game against a provincial winner, one against a provincial loser and probably against a 3rd seed.
If there isn't some improvement from how they performed in the Mayo and Roscommon games it could get be a nasty summer for them.
Before the championship is over there might well be some Donegal folk who are hankering for the old days when you could go out of the Ulster championship in the first round and be done for the year.

Eire90

NO NO Armagh coach Ciarán McKeever makes jaw-dropping prediction that 2023 could potentially be last ever Ulster Championship

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Eire90 on March 29, 2023, 06:54:43 PM
NO NO Armagh coach Ciarán McKeever makes jaw-dropping prediction that 2023 could potentially be last ever Ulster Championship

Beginning of the end of the Ulster championship is what he's saying. He was brought in by Ulster GAA chiefs to launch their province championship and I'd say they are delighted they chose him as he did nothing but talk down the importance of the Ulster championship.  Two things stood out 1) it can be still important in the terms of group seeding 2) Armagh winning Ulster would be boost after relegation yet he doesn't think so and with such mindset it's not hard to see why Armagh haven't reached or won Ulster final since 2008.

Armagh18

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 29, 2023, 07:44:25 PM

Beginning of the end of the Ulster championship is what he's saying. He was brought in by Ulster GAA chiefs to launch their province championship and I'd say they are delighted they chose him as he did nothing but talk down the importance of the Ulster championship.  Two things stood out 1) it can be still important in the terms of group seeding 2) Armagh winning Ulster would be boost after relegation yet he doesn't think so and with such mindset it's not hard to see why Armagh haven't reached or won Ulster final since 2008.
Would have him nowhere near any coaching set up to be perfectly honest. Believe he is the main instigator behind the negative shite we played lately. Know a few from Mayobridge and he always sets them up horribly defensive.

yellowcard

He also said in that interview that Armagh had not changed anything tactically for this years League campaign so I'd take what he said with a massive pinch of salt.

Armamike

Quote from: tyrone08 on March 29, 2023, 04:40:08 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 29, 2023, 02:00:59 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/03/28/mcbrearty-insists-donegal-will-be-a-different-proposition-in-the-ulster-sfc/

McBrearty suggests the squad will be circling the wagons now and adopting that trusty 'us against the world' approach ahead of their Ulster quarter-final against Down on April 23rd.

"We have to, because as a panel of players we have been through the mill of it this year between injuries and narrow losses and we are going to have to create a siege mentality because there's a lot of people inside the county that don't want to see us do well.

"Listen, there are a lot of arrows in the back there, coming from a lot of places. We're sticking together, media, supporters, they don't know what goes on in the dressingroom and they never really will either.

"They can speculate all they want but those lads, the 35 lads in there, will stick together; we don't really care what anyone else says, to be honest with you."

Probably a good job he doesn't speak that often as this is a bit unbelievable. Facts are they lost 5 games majority of which weren't narrow losses, they them got rid of their manager and the next day out instead of proving themselves they got hammered by Roscommon.

Circling the wagon is grand but at some point they have to look at themselves and hold themselves accountable.

All that rant has done is place a higher expectation of their shoulders that they are going to come out and win the next game.

I'm not from Donegal but I'd think this bit in bold is horseshit.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Armamike

Well sooner or later we're going to have to target winning something so I'd be quite happy with an Ulster.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Eire90

it did seem he did not know how seeding worked or he thinks its not that important

tonto1888

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 29, 2023, 07:48:54 PM

Would have him nowhere near any coaching set up to be perfectly honest. Believe he is the main instigator behind the negative shite we played lately. Know a few from Mayobridge and he always sets them up horribly defensive.

I agree with this

Redhand Santa

If Armagh get beat early in Ulster and end up in a group with Kerry followed by needing to win a preliminary quarter final for the right to play Dublin in a quarter final the following week they might look back differently at the importance of winning ulster.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/03/29/comer-feared-the-worst-after-suffering-knee-injury/

Damien Comer feared his season was over in the immediate aftermath of the knee injury he suffered against Roscommon in early February.

The 2022 All Star forward was carried off the field on a stretcher, after landing awkwardly having contested a dropping ball in front of the Roscommon goal during the early stages of Galway's home league match at Pearse Stadium.

Following medical treatment to his right knee, the Annaghdown man was stretchered off the field as concerns grew that he had suffered a cruciate tear.

Thankfully, the injury wasn't season-ending and Comer made his comeback as a substitute in last Sunday's win over Kerry. But he admits fearing the worst as he was carted off the pitch.

"I thought I was a goner, to be honest," says Comer. "I didn't really know what I had done, I never hurt my knee before, but it was excruciating pain and I thought there had to be some damage of a serious extent.

"In fairness, the pain settled fairly quickly once I got into the dressingroom. And no real swelling started to show, so it was probably a positive sign.

"And the scan results came back and it was just bad bone bruising, it was very tender around the two bones; I was lucky I didn't fracture them. The ligaments were a bit stretched but thankfully there was no serious damage."

Comer had hyperextended the knee on landing, but with no ligament rupture he was able to resume straight line running approximately three weeks after the injury.

He gradually worked his way back to contact training and emerged off the bench during the second half last Sunday, sporting knee-strapping, and even managed to tag over a point.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU