NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

Enjoyable game in Omagh yesterday and we just about deserved the victory.

Hoping Canavans knock is minor enough.

Some great long range scores yesterday - mainly in part to there being no other option as Armagh had dropped back.

The hit by Armagh number 3 was a hard one to call - but Cassidy got everything else right on the day so no complaints with a yellow.

Our kickouts in the first half were made easy by simply kicking it over the blanket press.

Only once did I feel the game was getting away from us - when we went one behind I was fearing the worst as they were on top of us. But as soon as they went in front they then retreated and went back to being this uber defensive team - strange decision whoever called that.

So Div 1 again next year - the last few weeks of the league have been very positive for us and sets us up nicely for the cship.

Rossfan

Quote from: Blowitupref on January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM
Just 12 days away.

To win the Div 1 title

Kerry 10/11
Galway 5/1
Tyrone 13/2
Mayo 7/1
Armagh 15/2
Donegal 16/1
Monaghan 20/1
Roscommon 33/1

We fairly confounded the oul bookies.
Finished 3rd and only for Kerry's dodgy 2nd choice goalie we'd be in the Final.
Well done Davy Burke, management team and all the squad whether ye got game time or not.

Onwards and upwards......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on March 27, 2023, 10:22:57 AM
Just 12 days away.

To win the Div 1 title

Kerry 10/11
Galway 5/1
Tyrone 13/2
Mayo 7/1
Armagh 15/2
Donegal 16/1
Monaghan 20/1
Roscommon 33/1

Well done Davy Burke, management team and all the squad whether ye got game time or not.

Davy Burke was Kildare's loss
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

clarshack

Didn't know Armagh had been relegated until walking back to the car yesterday but obviously their management would have known they were going down and to not throw caution to the wind in an attempt to avoid relegation was criminal imo. I just assumed the way they were holding their defensive shape that it was of a team that knew they were safe.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/03/27/mayos-request-for-division-one-final-to-be-played-on-saturday-turned-down/

Mayo's request for the Division One Football League final to be played on Saturday has been turned down – with the clash against Galway going ahead in Croke Park on Sunday at 4pm

Blowitupref

Just 12 days away.

To win the Div 1 title

Kerry 10/11
Galway 5/1
Tyrone 13/2
Mayo 7/1
Armagh 15/2
Donegal 16/1
Monaghan 20/1
Roscommon 33/1

All the more impressive when you consider Davy Burke and his management team wasn't appointed until the end of October the last team to find a new manager and lost some starters from last year due to travel or injuries. Both midfielders Eddie Nolan,Ultan Harney and defender Ronan Daly and forward Cathal Heneghan. 
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

An Fhairche Abu

Good win yesterday, Galway have got what they want out of the league in terms of giving more players significant game time and having lads put the hand up to give the mgt team selection headaches. After the Roscommon game (it might be the worst IC match I was ever at) I wouldn't have given Galway any chance of making the final so while it's been tough sledding since, Galway have ground out the results in a workmanlike and professional manner. While it mightn't have set pluses racing and there's no wow factor to Galway at the minute compared to Mayo, there's a lot to be said for just finding a way to stay in matches and not lose all the same.

Tierney is the one player who has really upped his game to a new level, has been in outstanding form from the Tyrone game on. His soaring one handed mark from a kick out yesterday is the kind of really impactful play that he is now regularly delivering, hopefully that will continue on into the final next week and then the championship.

As for next Sunday, well there is no doubt that Mayo have clearly been the team of the league, they have played the best football and have swatted aside some top teams along the way. If Kerry or the Rossies had got through yesterday, I'd have fully expected Mayo to beat them and win the final. Now that it's Galway there my head is telling me the same story but the heart doesn't want to listen to it!

Galway have lost a lot of finals in CP since the 2017 Division Two final and no harm for the team to get winners medals if possible, not the end of the world if they don't (thinking of the Div Two final last year, which turned out to be forgotten about and irrelevant to the rest of the year) but again, there are a good number of those players who have lost finals in CP (and won them to be fair to the 2020 U20s and the lads with AI club medals) but Galway could do with finally winning a league, a very tough assignment awaits however.
I would caveat that one of our truly important players in McDaid - who is built for CP and has played his best stuff in a Galway jersey there - is out by the sound of things, that is a massive loss from the team that played in Castlebar to open the league.

mouview

Quote from: seafoid on March 27, 2023, 02:39:46 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/03/27/mayos-request-for-division-one-final-to-be-played-on-saturday-turned-down/

Mayo's request for the Division One Football League final to be played on Saturday has been turned down – with the clash against Galway going ahead in Croke Park on Sunday at 4pm

As it should have been. Giving Mayo an extra day to prepare for the Roscommon game would be slightly disadvantaging the latter.

Chimley

Quote from: mouview on March 27, 2023, 04:35:05 PM

As it should have been. Giving Mayo an extra day to prepare for the Roscommon game would be slightly disadvantaging the latter.

I'm not sure how that stacks up. Roscommon have 14 days to prepare for the game against Mayo. Mayo have 7 (or 8 if they got the Saturday). It would lessen Roscommon's advantage by a day, but they would still have had 6 days advantage and a game less played.

J70

Quote from: Blowitupref on March 27, 2023, 03:04:13 PM
Just 12 days away.

To win the Div 1 title

Kerry 10/11
Galway 5/1
Tyrone 13/2
Mayo 7/1
Armagh 15/2
Donegal 16/1
Monaghan 20/1
Roscommon 33/1

All the more impressive when you consider Davy Burke and his management team wasn't appointed until the end of October the last team to find a new manager and lost some starters from last year due to travel or injuries. Both midfielders Eddie Nolan,Ultan Harney and defender Ronan Daly and forward Cathal Heneghan.

And even more impressive when you look at the mess we're in.

Although the late appointment of Paddy Carr did reflect an overall malaise in Donegal football which may not be the case in Roscommon.

mouview

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on March 27, 2023, 04:14:02 PM
Good win yesterday, Galway have got what they want out of the league in terms of giving more players significant game time and having lads put the hand up to give the mgt team selection headaches. After the Roscommon game (it might be the worst IC match I was ever at) I wouldn't have given Galway any chance of making the final so while it's been tough sledding since, Galway have ground out the results in a workmanlike and professional manner. While it mightn't have set pluses racing and there's no wow factor to Galway at the minute compared to Mayo, there's a lot to be said for just finding a way to stay in matches and not lose all the same.

Tierney is the one player who has really upped his game to a new level, has been in outstanding form from the Tyrone game on. His soaring one handed mark from a kick out yesterday is the kind of really impactful play that he is now regularly delivering, hopefully that will continue on into the final next week and then the championship.

As for next Sunday, well there is no doubt that Mayo have clearly been the team of the league, they have played the best football and have swatted aside some top teams along the way. If Kerry or the Rossies had got through yesterday, I'd have fully expected Mayo to beat them and win the final. Now that it's Galway there my head is telling me the same story but the heart doesn't want to listen to it!

Galway have lost a lot of finals in CP since the 2017 Division Two final and no harm for the team to get winners medals if possible, not the end of the world if they don't (thinking of the Div Two final last year, which turned out to be forgotten about and irrelevant to the rest of the year) but again, there are a good number of those players who have lost finals in CP (and won them to be fair to the 2020 U20s and the lads with AI club medals) but Galway could do with finally winning a league, a very tough assignment awaits however.
I would caveat that one of our truly important players in McDaid - who is built for CP and has played his best stuff in a Galway jersey there - is out by the sound of things, that is a massive loss from the team that played in Castlebar to open the league.

A very heartening display and one which the squad should take confidence from. Even in the absence of Silke and Molloy, our defence has graduated into the meanest in the land and are working superbly as a unit. Another Corofin player, Power in goal, has perhaps given PJ a headache now too. Our forwards aren't scoring with the freedom of last year but have the habit now of coming up with scores at key times instead. Tierney's form in the league has been on a decent upward curve, since the Tyrone match anyway, and is one of the main reasons for our progress to the final. Beside him, the quiet man, Heaney, also puts in a great shift - he was absolutely gassed when swapped out near the finish yesterday.

The final will be interesting; Mayo's (scoring) form has been better than ours, they swatted Kerry aside while we had to play nearly flat-out yesterday to win I thought, but we can afford to go harder at it and collect a title rarer than Sam in the county.

yellowcard

It won't be talked up as such but in my opinion a division one league title for either Galway or Mayo would be a bigger achievement than winning a Connacht title. It has all of the best teams in Ireland playing each other over a 2 month period and its a national title. But just watch both counties say that they aren't too bothered about this game in the build up to it.

mouview

Quote from: Chimley on March 27, 2023, 04:39:44 PM

I'm not sure how that stacks up. Roscommon have 14 days to prepare for the game against Mayo. Mayo have 7 (or 8 if they got the Saturday). It would lessen Roscommon's advantage by a day, but they would still have had 6 days advantage and a game less played.

Acceding to Mayo's request though would be seen as the GAA contravening their own fixtures list and being disproportionately (albeit slightly) in favour of one county over another.

seafoid

Quote from: mouview on March 27, 2023, 04:44:17 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on March 27, 2023, 04:14:02 PM

A very heartening display and one which the squad should take confidence from. Even in the absence of Silke and Molloy, our defence has graduated into the meanest in the land and are working superbly as a unit. Another Corofin player, Power in goal, has perhaps given PJ a headache now too. Our forwards aren't scoring with the freedom of last year but have the habit now of coming up with scores at key times instead. Tierney's form in the league has been on a decent upward curve, since the Tyrone match anyway, and is one of the main reasons for our progress to the final. Beside him, the quiet man, Heaney, also puts in a great shift - he was absolutely gassed when swapped out near the finish yesterday.

The final will be interesting; Mayo's (scoring) form has been better than ours, they swatted Kerry aside while we had to play nearly flat-out yesterday to win I thought, but we can afford to go harder at it and collect a title rarer than Sam in the county.
Galway have 4. Mayo have more League titles than all Irelands

Chimley

Quote from: mouview on March 27, 2023, 04:48:33 PM
Quote from: Chimley on March 27, 2023, 04:39:44 PM

Acceding to Mayo's request though would be seen as the GAA contravening their own fixtures list and being disproportionately (albeit slightly) in favour of one county over another.

I know it's a minor detail and not happening, but I'm still not seeing how either way it could disadvantage Roscommon who are not playing at all this weekend. The fixture disproportionally disdvantages only one team and that is Mayo, who have a league final this weekend followed by a championship game 7 days later. Roscommon have a 14 day break after the league and Galway have a 21 day break after the final.