Sam Maguire Qualifiers 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 08:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

It's exactly what Mayo and Tyrone need to get going draw wise. I can't see Armagh winning this - more of a chance of Monaghan beating Mayo IMO. Monaghan though were very tactically naive against Derry and would need to step that up.

The other 2 draws are interesting. Louth have a chance against Cork but they were very disappointing against Kildare who then the next day were pushed by Westmeath. You would expect Clare to beat Meath but it will probably be tight enough.

BrotherMore6592

Quote from: balladmaker on May 23, 2022, 09:10:21 AM
If Armagh ever had the opportunity for a statement win in the Championship, this is it ... should be a cracker atmosphere in the tight confines of the Athletic Grounds.

I think the whole country was waiting for that big day when you played Donegal, but it didn't happen.

After winning the all Ireland in April

naka

Quote from: yellowcard on May 23, 2022, 09:15:10 AM
Happy enough with that draw tbh. We aren't going to win an AI so we might as well face off against one of the better sides sooner rather than later and the fact that we have them in the athletic Grounds gives us a decent chance. Win and it sets us up nicely to make the quarter finals.
actually agree with you
tyrone have underperformed and have lost a fair few players, so armagh have a chance, saying that armagh will do what they always do, flatter to decieve then crash and burn

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 23, 2022, 09:18:34 AM
It's exactly what Mayo and Tyrone need to get going draw wise. I can't see Armagh winning this - more of a chance of Monaghan beating Mayo IMO. Monaghan though were very tactically naive against Derry and would need to step that up.

The other 2 draws are interesting. Louth have a chance against Cork but they were very disappointing against Kildare who then the next day were pushed by Westmeath. You would expect Clare to beat Meath but it will probably be tight enough.
Cork have been poor so far this year
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Blowitupref

Odds on the four matches

Armagh 7/4 Tyrone 4/7
Clare 11/8 Meath 8/11
Cork 2/5 Louth 5/2
Mayo 4/11 Monaghan 11/4
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

bennydorano

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on May 23, 2022, 09:15:48 AM
I think the Armagh Tyrone draw is the best for both teams, never seen the point of drawing one of the weaker teams, as inevitable as it is, you are going to face a top team eventually. 

Very hard one to predict, both teams severely underperformed in their championship match's so its hard to know where they are at.  I don't believe Tyrone are clear favorites, but certainly ahead. 

Mayo and Monaghan should be a good game.  Monaghan on their day can cause any team big issue, so it will be a big test for Mayo.   
If you can't see the benefit of a handy draw to get a bit of belief and momentum going I dunno tbh.

It'll be all blood & thunder in the Athletic Grounds, I'm sure it'll be tight but don't see an Armagh win.

Mayo v Monaghan is the game of the round, I'd expect a much better game of football there. While I strongly fancied Derry to beat Monaghan I could see Monaghan overturning Mayo here, potentially a lot of swansongs here and Monaghan will go out all guns blazing, god knows what Mayo team will turn up.

armaghniac

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 23, 2022, 09:44:34 AM
Odds on the four matches

Armagh 7/4 Tyrone 4/7
Clare 11/8 Meath 8/11
Cork 2/5 Louth 5/2
Mayo 4/11 Monaghan 11/4

A Louth and Monaghan double would pay out nicely there.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Main Street

For good reason Monaghan are the complete outsiders of the bunch to get through. Wierd that the div.1 teams were drawn together, the GAA can't even fix a simple draw.

yellowcard

Odds on the four matches

Armagh 7/4 Tyrone 4/7
Clare 11/8 Meath 8/11
Cork 2/5 Louth 5/2
Mayo 4/11 Monaghan 11/4

Would have expected Clare to be favourites to beat Meath in Ennis. I think Cork and Mayo should both get through although I'm reluctant to completely write Monaghan off as they always seem to pull out a result when you least expect it and it could be one last dance for a lot of their players. Armagh and Tyrone I wouldn't predict just yet only that the referee will have a massive job on his hands.

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on May 23, 2022, 10:20:16 AM
Odds on the four matches

Armagh 7/4 Tyrone 4/7
Clare 11/8 Meath 8/11
Cork 2/5 Louth 5/2
Mayo 4/11 Monaghan 11/4

A Louth and Monaghan double would pay out nicely there.
It's hard to know how good Tyrone are. Monaghan could beat Mayo. Louth could beat Cork
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Ethan Tremblay

Quote from: bennydorano on May 23, 2022, 10:12:21 AM
Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on May 23, 2022, 09:15:48 AM
I think the Armagh Tyrone draw is the best for both teams, never seen the point of drawing one of the weaker teams, as inevitable as it is, you are going to face a top team eventually. 

Very hard one to predict, both teams severely underperformed in their championship match's so its hard to know where they are at.  I don't believe Tyrone are clear favorites, but certainly ahead. 

Mayo and Monaghan should be a good game.  Monaghan on their day can cause any team big issue, so it will be a big test for Mayo.   
If you can't see the benefit of a handy draw to get a bit of belief and momentum going I dunno tbh.

It'll be all blood & thunder in the Athletic Grounds, I'm sure it'll be tight but don't see an Armagh win.

Mayo v Monaghan is the game of the round, I'd expect a much better game of football there. While I strongly fancied Derry to beat Monaghan I could see Monaghan overturning Mayo here, potentially a lot of swansongs here and Monaghan will go out all guns blazing, god knows what Mayo team will turn up.

Would you prefer Armagh had a handy draw, got a facile win and gone into the next round still unsure as to whether they are improving or not? The belief shouldn't be lacking given some scalps they have taken this year, and the only true momentum Armagh need is to see out hard scrappy games, the momentum to see a game out is something they have lack under current management.  But that's just my opinion. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

clarshack

I would take a handy draw every single time as it gets you back up and running again.

Cunny Funt

Some interesting and finely balanced ties.

Mayo have never lost All-Ireland qualifier in MacHale Park and not the tie Banty would have wanted after their exit from Ulster against Derry.

Really nothing between Clare and Meath nowadays. Clare had some key players out injured against Limerick they'll need them back for this game

Louth under Mickey Harte could cause a small shock by knocking out Cork?

Armagh v Tyrone should be a feisty affair. Who learnt most from their heavy defeats to Donegal, Derry will be difference here.

The Subbie

Quote from: Main Street on May 23, 2022, 10:23:16 AM
For good reason Monaghan are the complete outsiders of the bunch to get through. Wierd that the div.1 teams were drawn together, the GAA can't even fix a simple draw.

Few warm balls in the draw methinks

Fear not as we speak there is a conclave of the finest strategic thinkers gathering in Cloghan marshalled by The finest Strategic thinker of them all - The Banty
We are back baby !!!!!

*me hole we are

An Watcher

Most definitely, warm balls/cold balls but I smell a rat