6 County Assembly Elections - 5th May 2022

Started by Snapchap, February 23, 2022, 10:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Quote from: trailer on May 17, 2023, 02:30:23 PM
Mid Ulster could be interesting.
Real squeeze on SF by Independent Republicans
In Dungannon Barry Monteith (current councillor) and Marian Vincent are up against Dominc Molloy, (current councillor & Francie's son ) and Deirdre Varsani. Interesting to see how that goes. Molloy has a good profile and is liked.
In Clogher Gael Gildernew is trying to defend her father Phelim's seat who retired (She is also Michelle's (MP) Sister and Colm's (MLA) Brother) her along with Eugene McConnell and Sean McGuigan (current coucillor) are up against Kevin McElvogue Ind Rep. SF have 2 elected and running 3. I think they might lose a seat here.
In Torrent Michelle O'Neill's home turf, Dan Kerr Ind Rep (current councillor) has Teresa Quinn as his running mate. SF are running 4.

Some SF voters are a bit pissed with the lack of selection process and the coronation of certain candidates from certain families. While SF will probably have a very good day across the north, Mid Ulster will be interesting. Ind Republicans are running 5 cands and calling it the drive for 5. I think they will add 1 for sure with McElvogue.

One to watch.

+1

The independent Republicans are running a massive campaign. Lots of posters/flyers about. They have a few well known locally based people as well, some with GAA connections which will help.

NotedObserver

Aontu a push in mud Ulster? Will they pick up anything?

trailer

Quote from: NotedObserver on May 17, 2023, 02:39:40 PM
Aontu a push in mud Ulster? Will they pick up anything?

Couldn't see it. Mullen left the SDLP in Dungannon and will probably lose her seat to the SDLP's replacement McQuade who's got a big GAA profile.

seafoid

Are the DUP going to rejoin Stormont ?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on May 17, 2023, 02:34:34 PM
SF are very popular but they do SFA for the local  economy which is a mess.

Is that local to you in Galway?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 17, 2023, 02:58:38 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 17, 2023, 02:34:34 PM
SF are very popular but they do SFA for the local  economy which is a mess.

Is that local to you in Galway?
It's the Northern Command of SF. They control  a lot of the financial levers but they can't get the economy going.
The North needs to be dolled up economically if reunification is going to work. If it was now there wouldn't be a majority in the south for reunification.

marty34

In Dungannon Barry Monteith (current councillor) and Marian Vincent are up against Dominc Molloy, (current councillor & Francie's son ) and Deirdre Varsani. Interesting to see how that goes. Molloy has a good profile and is liked.
In Clogher Gael Gildernew is trying to defend her father Phelim's seat who retired (She is also Michelle's (MP) Sister and Colm's (MLA) Brother) her along with Eugene McConnell and Sean McGuigan (current coucillor) are up against Kevin McElvogue Ind Rep. SF have 2 elected and running 3. I think they might lose a seat here.
In Torrent Michelle O'Neill's home turf, Dan Kerr Ind Rep (current councillor) has Teresa Quinn as his running mate. SF are running 4.

Some SF voters are a bit pissed with the lack of selection process and the coronation of certain candidates from certain families. While SF will probably have a very good day across the north, Mid Ulster will be interesting. Ind Republicans are running 5 cands and calling it the drive for 5. I think they will add 1 for sure with McElvogue.

One to watch.

Isee a lot of older candidates are not running again.  Across all the political parties.  The new generation and all that.

Turnout will be interesting. Will it get above 60% overall.  Weather to be decent, which might help.

Be interesting to see if Alliance make any more impact west of the Bann.  They're trying to build their base in different areas. They'll finish as the 3 rd party.

Big day for the SDLP and UUP.  They'll lose seats but will it keep Eastwood and Beattie in their jobs? 

As per usual, the final seat in a lot of areas will be interesting.  If certain parties are ahead before the final transfers, then that could see them over the line.  Alliance will be transfer friendly.

Vote as far down the ballot paper as you can, including the DUP and TUV.

Rossfan

What do these "Independent republicans" stand for?
Or are they just Not Sinn Féin?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Armagh18

Quote from: Rossfan on May 17, 2023, 04:14:00 PM
Think they'd be running as Sinn Fein if they were Sinn Fein?

keep her low this half

Quote from: marty34 on May 17, 2023, 04:03:11 PM

One to watch.

Isee a lot of older candidates are not running again.  Across all the political parties.  The new generation and all that.

Turnout will be interesting. Will it get above 60% overall.  Weather to be decent, which might help.

Be interesting to see if Alliance make any more impact west of the Bann.  They're trying to build their base in different areas. They'll finish as the 3 rd party.

Big day for the SDLP and UUP.  They'll lose seats but will it keep Eastwood and Beattie in their jobs? 

As per usual, the final seat in a lot of areas will be interesting.  If certain parties are ahead before the final transfers, then that could see them over the line.  Alliance will be transfer friendly.

A bridge too far old chap!

marty34

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 17, 2023, 02:37:03 PM

One to watch.

+1

The independent Republicans are running a massive campaign. Lots of posters/flyers about. They have a few well known locally based people as well, some with GAA connections which will help.

Hard to know about independents and if they havn't run before, it's had to guage their support.  Is it a personal vote or are they campaigning on a single issue etc.?

SF will do well because they didn't do as well in the last local elections, if you get my drift and they have seats to win back in certain areas like Derry City etc.  They, like Alliance, are broadening their base in the Ards and Lisburn areas. Mightn't be enough to get seats but increasing their vote share.

The DUP will do well also as they've held their ground in terms of Brexit and will be rewarded, even via transfers from the TUV.

I thought the TUV would have had a few more candiates, especially in certain areas. Allister just seems to be a foil for the DUP - just doing enough to keep them in check and not letting them do their own thing.  He's their guide.

FWIW, I think they'll be back in Stormont - just a matter of when.  From reading snippets of certain journaliats, DUP sources are saying this also.

Aontú are standing a good few candiates but are a bit right-wing for a lot of people. That hard core Catholic ethos hashad little impact in Ireland recently. Not sure if they'll take many seats though but could impact where the final seat goes.

trailer

Quote from: Rossfan on May 17, 2023, 04:14:00 PM

I'm not entirely sure. I think they are dissidents. Against Stormont, attending the coronation etc. Some of them are connected to IRA volunteers who died in the troubles so there's a bit of SF are sell-outs to it all as well. They have huge pressure on SF anyway. SF had the big guns out in Mid Ulster, Mary Lou and Conor Murphy. Mo'N is on every lamppost even though she's not even running. SF will have a good day I'd imagine but this is a worry for them. The Gildernew stuff in Clogher isn't going down well at all I'm told. Same as the Martina Anderson in Derry where she seemed to appoint candidates based on who was related to her. SF cleaned house there but maybe the Gildernew name is sacrosanct?

marty34

Quote from: keep her low this half on May 17, 2023, 04:22:03 PM

One to watch.

I understand and I knew someone would raise this:

By doing this, you are pushing them further doing the list than by not doing it.

A tricky concept but it's true.

clonian

Quote from: marty34 on May 17, 2023, 04:34:26 PM

One to watch.

By doing this, you are pushing them further doing the list than by not doing it.

I always to my 1-2-3 and then start with the TUV and DUP from the bottom up.

johnnycool

Quote from: clonian on May 17, 2023, 04:36:08 PM
Quote from: marty34 on May 17, 2023, 04:34:26 PM

One to watch.

I always to my 1-2-3 and then start with the TUV and DUP from the bottom up.

Vote till you boke is the saying you're looking for.