6 County Assembly Elections - 5th May 2022

Started by Snapchap, February 23, 2022, 10:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

It will be a sad inditement of this place if Nichola Mallon loses her seat

Eire90

is doug beattie in trouble he was only 6th after first preference i admit i find system hard  to follow do you really want to be in the top 3 after first preference to be confident of getting elected if  your in 6th would you be worried

seafoid

Quote from: Main Street on May 06, 2022, 10:54:29 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 06, 2022, 09:45:59 PM
Quote from: Itchy on May 06, 2022, 09:22:08 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 06, 2022, 09:17:28 PM
Quote from: Itchy on May 06, 2022, 09:15:05 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 06, 2022, 07:47:29 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on May 06, 2022, 07:32:31 PM
From Terence O'Neill to Michelle O'Neill in just over 50 years.

And some people still think there'll never be a United Ireland.
There wont unless the political economy is fixed

Seafood, why do you make such definitive statements about something you know f**k all about lad?
Look at opinion polls, Itchy. Sunday Indo anytime. Southern voters do not want to pay for NI. So NI has to pay its own way.
What do you know about fixing NI ?

Yeh, whenever I need to know about the North I read the f**king Sunday Indo. Are you off your rocker.
Who is expected to pay for NI post unification, Itchy, you muppet ? Is it DUP voters?
Take a break from the Indo Seafold and turn to the Irish Times
https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/uk-subvention-to-north-irrelevant-to-debate-on-irish-unity-1.4587773

UK subvention to North irrelevant to debate on Irish unity, it will have dropped to 3bn p/a  a sum easily covered by the benefits of unity.
Economic debate on unity needs to move on to policy decisions needed for growth.
writes John Doyle  a professor in the School of Law and Government in Dublin City University. who has writ much about all things Northern Ireland
https://www.researchgate.net/scientific-contributions/John-Doyle-17915349

in particular on Debating the Cost of Irish Reunification: A Response to
'Why the Subvention does not Matter'
https://muse.jhu.edu/article/810169/pdf
Northern Ireland is poor. If you look at income per head, Derry,Fermanagh, Tyrone, South Armagh, North Antrim  and South Down would be on a similar level to Roscommon and Monaghan.

South Antrim , North Down and North Armagh are richer , equivalent to Cavan but significantly behind Clare.

It is not enough to deal with the Subvention. NI needs to close the gap with say Munster.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: seafoid on May 07, 2022, 05:48:25 AM

Seafood, why do you make such definitive statements about something you know f**k all about lad?
Look at opinion polls, Itchy. Sunday Indo anytime. Southern voters do not want to pay for NI. So NI has to pay its own way.

Yeh, whenever I need to know about the North I read the f**king Sunday Indo. Are you off your rocker.
Who is expected to pay for NI post unification, Itchy, you muppet ? Is it DUP voters?
https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/uk-subvention-to-north-irrelevant-to-debate-on-irish-unity-1.4587773

UK subvention to North irrelevant to debate on Irish unity, it will have dropped to 3bn p/a  a sum easily covered by the benefits of unity.
Economic debate on unity needs to move on to policy decisions needed for growth.
writes John Doyle  a professor in the School of Law and Government in Dublin City University. who has writ much about all things Northern Ireland

Northern Ireland is poor. If you look at income per head, Derry,Fermanagh, Tyrone, South Armagh, North Antrim  and South Down would be on a similar level to Roscommon and Monaghan.

South Antrim , North Down and North Armagh are richer , equivalent to Cavan but significantly behind Clare.

It is not enough to deal with the Subvention. NI needs to close the gap with say Munster.

I was in Wexford yesterday, absolutely astounded at the road from Dublin to Wexford . motorway with hardly car on it. We still don't have a road from Derry to Belfast . We have been let down by unionism and SF over the years . People need to wake up to the economics

Wexford can't be compared to Derry population wise

ardtole

Rosslare is the biggest port in the country or is going to be. Huge investment and development is planned for the region, mostly due to its ferry links to the continent.

Definitely the county to benefit most from Brexit.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Snapchap on May 06, 2022, 10:39:27 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 06, 2022, 10:15:39 PM
- RHI
- Brexit
- Yet another Stormont collapse when Health Service is dying.

Did that affect them? Apparently not a bit.
Not a bit? They took a hammering today! They are down 41,000 votes on 2017.

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 06, 2022, 10:15:39 PM
TUV is the new party of "No". No forward thinking, no opportunities, no development. No move on from 1690.
Let's not overstate it. The TUV vote increased but they are still minnows.

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 06, 2022, 09:31:17 PM
The mind boggles indeed..

"the Secretary of State shall exercise the power under paragraph 1 if at any time it appears likely to him that a majority of those voting would express a wish that Northern Ireland should cease to be part of the United Kingdom and form part of a united Ireland."

If SF get a majority vote in Stormont on a motion for a border poll that is only stopped by a minority petition of concern, that's pretty damn compelling.

The shall in there forces the SoS's hand under the above circumstance.
Well if the SoS called a border poll because of the result of a democratic election result that saw SF do well, then that's the people "ramming in" a border poll, rather than SF doing so, surely? Should SF stop running in elections incase they accidentally leave the British with no choice but to call a border poll. Catch yourself on. SF becoming the largest party won't result in the British SoS calling a border poll. Such a poll won't happen until nationalism holds a strong majority in stormont and successive opinion polls point to unity being the people's wish. Today not only won't lead to SF "ramming in" a border poll. It can't lead to them doing so. They have no power to do so.

Ha. Have you any evidence of their lobbying for a citizens assembly?
Google "Sinn Fein Citizens Assembly". You don't need me to do it for you. If you didn't know they have been lobbying for a citizens assembly on Irish Unity, you really must have been living under a rock.

Building political support with whom? Far as I can see they are a pariah to all other parties north and south.
Building support amongst the people. Successfully so. They are by a long, long way the most popular party in Ireland.

They don't need to be in government to instigate the creation of a citizens assembly.
Indeed, its better if they aren't in government - 'cos to make this work - its going to have to be a workable solution across the political spectrum - and definitely not something constructed entirely to SF's specification.
You see it doesn't matter what you think. It's about what the electorate think. If SF are mandated to be in government, then that's it's the electorate's specifications that are being fulfilled.

Ahh, this is getting too spread out. Will do one reply

- Turnout is down. Focusing on absolute numbers isn't reflective.

- While it wasn't what I intended (an election result not being sufficient, I was referring to a motion at stormont) - you've reflected the problem. A 51/49 majority to SF for you is good enough for a border poll regardless of the fall out.

- A border poll isn't just about what >50% of the electorate think. Its very, very much also about what is palatable to >90% of the population. The sooner this is realised, the better.

edit: Ah, I thought turnout was down to ~55%. I see this morning its just a tad lower than 2017. So your point on DUP vote count is accurate.
i usse an speelchekor

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: ardtole on May 07, 2022, 08:05:30 AM
Rosslare is the biggest port in the country or is going to be. Huge investment and development is planned for the region, mostly due to its ferry links to the continent.

Definitely the county to benefit most from Brexit.

So impressed , to be honest whole way from Ardee. Miles ahead

snoopdog

Is that just based on salary? Or does it take in the cost of living? Houses cars nearly everything bar cigarettes and fuel are cheaper in the 6 counties.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on May 06, 2022, 11:20:59 PM
Pretty much all of this is bollix.
"Straight back to the troubles". Wise yourself up.

When buses are burned and there is violence on the streets over an EU protocol that most of those on the streets couldn't tell you two accurate sentences about - you actually expect a marginal border to pass off without incident?

Have you took leave of your senses?!?
i usse an speelchekor

Rossfan

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 07, 2022, 08:12:09 AM

When buses are burned and there is violence on the streets over an EU protocol that most of those on the streets couldn't tell you two accurate sentences about - you actually expect a marginal border to pass off without incident?

Taken
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RedHand88

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 07, 2022, 08:12:09 AM

If buses are burned in the event of a successful border poll then the police should arrest and prosecute those responsible. You cannot let the threat of violence hamper a democratic process. I think people overestimate the impact violent loyalist can have. They can't get more then a few hundred to attend these sea border rallies ffs.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: snoopdog on May 07, 2022, 08:11:24 AM

Is that just based on salary? Or does it take in the cost of living? Houses cars nearly everything bar cigarettes and fuel are cheaper in the 6 counties.

Our wages significantly less

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on May 07, 2022, 08:18:08 AM
To suggest that we will go back to anything even remotely like the troubles is complete and utter balls.
Get a grip of your hyperbole.

I'm not even sure its possible to have a border poll >> UI without violence at all.

But sustained violence will need significant support from the hardercore unionist population.

When you look back through our recent history, and the penchant for loyalists to quickly take to the streets and use violence to try and drive or reverse decisions, what on earth makes you believe it'd pass off without much issue?

i usse an speelchekor

Itchy

Please present your data to support this statement