6 County Assembly Elections - 5th May 2022

Started by Snapchap, February 23, 2022, 10:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Snapchap on May 12, 2022, 12:53:02 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 12, 2022, 12:30:07 PM
Everyone still got paid didn't they?
They did. And I'd support paying them. Just not the full amount. Sitting in an assembly chamber is only a fraction of an MLA's workload. Most devote their time to constituency work and their constituency work still goes on, and their office staff still need paid.

BTW they went back in with no Irish language act and no resolution to RHI. WTf was it all about, meanwhile our health service went into further infrastructural decline. People have a very short memories
On an Irish Language Act - They went back in with a commitment to enact language legislation with insurance from the government - would you prefer they didn't, is that it?
On RHI "not being resolved" - WTF do you mean by "resolved? How could it have been "resolved"? The damage was done - the money gone. There was no "resolution". SF were only asking Foster to step aside for the duration of an inquiry. Since she wouldn't do so, SF removed her from office.

All that is besides the point though, isn't it? The debate was whether the two collapses were essentially for the same reasons. Are you suggesting they are? Are SF currently reneging from a previous commitment to scrap the protocol? Did the DUP just collapse it because SF were suspected of corruption/mismanagement of a £500m energy scheme?

SF collapsed the assembly when the DUP blocked legislation that was supported by a majority of parties & MLAs. The DUP have collapsed it because they want a piece of legislation brought it which is opposed by by a majority of parties & MLAs. It takes some chip on the shoulder about SF to pretend that those are the same reasons for a collapse.

When you are explaining you are losing lol. "Don't explain your philosophy. Embody it."

The man in the street gets affected the same way, reasons are irrelevant. Arlene was never removed by SF, wise up man, she came straight back in after a 3 year holiday.

Main Street

When sentencing an anti protocol rioter in Derry yesterday, the judge wryly said in court that "anti-protocol protestors would do well to heed the words of Sir Edward Carson who said he was sorry he had ever heard of the Conservative Party"

Snapchap

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 12, 2022, 01:01:49 PM
When you are explaining you are losing lol. "Don't explain your philosophy. Embody it."
Isn't that just you saying "anyone who doesn't see things exactly as I do is losing"

The man in the street gets affected the same way, reasons are irrelevant.
The reasons are irrelevant? The DUP had made power sharing unworkable.
- They reneged on Language Act commitments, supported by a majority of MLAs, and as promised as preconditions to power sharing, back at St Andrews
- They reneged on the enactment of a Bill of Rights, supported by a majority of MLAs, as was agreed in 1998 in the GFA
- They blocked same sex marriage, despite the majority of MLAs being in support of it
- They took £500m of tax payers money and burned it in wood pellet boilers and then refused to see their leader step aside temporarily pending an investigation
- They blocked funding for legacy inquests

If you are arguing that reasons are irrelevant, then are you suggesting that the Assembly ought to have continued to function like that indefinitely and that the croppies should have just lay down? Are you suggesting that SF collapsing the assembly because the democratic wishes of a majority of MLAs weren't being respected, is no different to the DUP collapsing it because the democratic wishes of a majority of MLAs are being respected and they don't like it?

Arlene was never removed by SF, wise up man, she came straight back in after a 3 year holiday
If you have to rely on dishonesty, then you're not in a good place with your argument. SF weren't trying to get her to retire. They were (as I said above) trying to get her to step aside temporarily so that an inquiry could take place. That is precisely what they achieved by pulling out of the executive.

trailer

Quote from: Snapchap on May 12, 2022, 12:53:02 PM
Everyone still got paid didn't they?
They did. And I'd support paying them. Just not the full amount. Sitting in an assembly chamber is only a fraction of an MLA's workload. Most devote their time to constituency work and their constituency work still goes on, and their office staff still need paid.

BTW they went back in with no Irish language act and no resolution to RHI. WTf was it all about, meanwhile our health service went into further infrastructural decline. People have a very short memories
On an Irish Language Act - They went back in with a commitment to enact language legislation with insurance from the government - would you prefer they didn't, is that it?
On RHI "not being resolved" - WTF do you mean by "resolved? How could it have been "resolved"? The damage was done - the money gone. There was no "resolution". SF were only asking Foster to step aside for the duration of an inquiry. Since she wouldn't do so, SF removed her from office.

All that is besides the point though, isn't it? The debate was whether the two collapses were essentially for the same reasons. Are you suggesting they are? Are SF currently reneging from a previous commitment to scrap the protocol? Did the DUP just collapse it because SF were suspected of corruption/mismanagement of a £500m energy scheme?

SF collapsed the assembly when the DUP blocked legislation that was supported by a majority of parties & MLAs. The DUP have collapsed it because they want a piece of legislation brought it which is opposed by by a majority of parties & MLAs. It takes some chip on the shoulder about SF to pretend that those are the same reasons for a collapse.

Irish language act? Delivered?
Arlene Foster resignation?
No return to the status quo?
Michelle wrote an article about it https://www.anphoblacht.com/contents/26647

The DUP are doing exactly the same as SF did. And it's the ordinary people on the street who suffer. Waiting lists ballooned during that 3 hiatus. Nurses went on strike. A mess. And the two parties who should've been in power were SF and the DUP.

marty34

Quote from: seafoid on May 12, 2022, 11:05:53 AM
Quote from: marty34 on May 12, 2022, 10:06:11 AM
Hard to know what will happen.

As I say, what will the EU do/can do?

Seems to me that the brits can do whatever they like with an international agreement (that they negoiated, signed up to and passed in law etc.) and there'll be no punishment.
It's high risk for the UK and DUP
The DUP rejected 3 different backstop and now says no Protocol. International trade doesn't work like that.

But what's going to happen if they do?

That's my question.

Does anybody really know what the EU can/will do?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Snapchap on May 12, 2022, 01:12:59 PM
Isn't that just you saying "anyone who doesn't see things exactly as I do is losing"

- They reneged on Language Act commitments, supported by a majority of MLAs, and as promised as preconditions to power sharing, back at St Andrews
- They reneged on the enactment of a Bill of Rights, supported by a majority of MLAs, as was agreed in 1998 in the GFA
- They blocked same sex marriage, despite the majority of MLAs being in support of it
- They took £500m of tax payers money and burned it in wood pellet boilers and then refused to see their leader step aside temporarily pending an investigation

If you are arguing that reasons are irrelevant, then are you suggesting that the Assembly ought to have continued to function like that indefinitely and that the croppies should have just lay down? Are you suggesting that SF collapsing the assembly because the democratic wishes of a majority of MLAs weren't being respected, is no different to the DUP collapsing it because the democratic wishes of a majority of MLAs are being respected and they don't like it?

Arlene was never removed by SF, wise up man, she came straight back in after a 3 year holiday
If you have to rely on dishonesty, then you're not in a good place with your argument. SF weren't trying to get her to retire. They were (as I said above) trying to get her to step aside temporarily so that an inquiry could take place. That is precisely what they achieved by pulling out of the executive.

As I said........

I can see your big red fuming head from here!

Snapchap

Quote from: trailer on May 12, 2022, 01:13:54 PM
The DUP are doing exactly the same as SF did. And it's the ordinary people on the street who suffer. Waiting lists ballooned during that 3 hiatus. Nurses went on strike. A mess. And the two parties who should've been in power were SF and the DUP.

See here's what it all boils down to:

SF collapsed the assembly when the DUP were blocking multiple pieces of legislation that the majority of MLAs supported.
The DUP collapsed the assembly because they want legislation (on the protocol) that is NOT supported by the majority of MLAs.

You can keep trying to convince yourself that those are "exactly the same thing", but just understand that most people can see the glaring difference. Not everyone is a f**king stupid as the SDLP takes them for.

seafoid

https://www.ft.com/content/30312aea-f1cc-4f62-8ea1-87ac51aee091
Some Conservative MPs are likely to resist any move that would rip up parts of Britain's Brexit treaty with the EU, and the House of Lords is also expected to be hostile. Šefčovič said the UK's threats to override the protocol would "undermine trust between the EU and UK as well as compromise our ultimate objective — to protect the Good Friday (Belfast) Agreement in all its dimensions". He also suggested that the move would empower rogue states such as Russia. "The EU and the UK are partners facing the same global challenges where upholding the rule of law and living up to international obligations is a necessity."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

trailer

Quote from: Snapchap on May 12, 2022, 01:19:27 PM

SF collapsed the assembly when the DUP were blocking multiple pieces of legislation that the majority of MLAs supported.
The DUP collapsed the assembly because they want legislation (on the protocol) that is NOT supported by the majority of MLAs.

You can keep trying to convince yourself that those are "exactly the same thing", but just understand that most people can see the glaring difference. Not everyone is a f**king stupid as the SDLP takes them for.

SF Good, DUP Bad.
Like something out of a George Orwell novel.

Snapchap

Quote from: trailer on May 12, 2022, 01:22:09 PM

SF Good, DUP Bad.

That's your counterargument? I was hoping you could explain how the motivations I described above for the two collapses were "exactly the same" but I should have know that that was expecting a bit much.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: trailer on May 12, 2022, 01:22:09 PM

SF Good, DUP Bad.

It has been Orwellian for quite a while now, sit back and chill out, history has a great habit of repeating itself.

Snapchap

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 12, 2022, 01:18:55 PM

As I said........

Fuming? Not in the least. SF just won the election last week, so I'm delighted. You're the one with the great bug chip on the shoulder.

I'll try asking again, just to see if you are capable of adult discussion:
- If you are arguing that reasons are irrelevant, then are you suggesting that the Assembly ought to have continued to function like that indefinitely and that the croppies should have just lay down?
- Are you suggesting that SF collapsing the assembly because the democratic wishes of a majority of MLAs weren't being respected, is no different to the DUP collapsing it because the democratic wishes of a majority of MLAs are being respected and they don't like it?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Snapchap on May 12, 2022, 01:35:23 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 12, 2022, 01:18:55 PM

As I said........

Fuming? Not in the least. SF just won the election last week, so I'm delighted. You're the one with the great bug chip on the shoulder.

I'll try asking again, just to see if you are capable of adult discussion:
- If you are arguing that reasons are irrelevant, then are you suggesting that the Assembly ought to have continued to function like that indefinitely and that the croppies should have just lay down?
- Are you suggesting that SF collapsing the assembly because the democratic wishes of a majority of MLAs weren't being respected, is no different to the DUP collapsing it because the democratic wishes of a majority of MLAs are being respected and they don't like it?

Aye but

marty34

100%

SDLP need to blame someone.

Their 'both as bad as each other' wasn't bought by the nationalist electorate last week.

People see through that Eastwood type politics.

Snapchap

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 12, 2022, 01:36:51 PM
Aye but

Well at least you've answered this question, even though you can't seem to answer any others
Quote from: Snapchap on May 12, 2022, 01:35:23 PM
I'll try asking again, just to see if you are capable of adult discussion