Brawl at Wicklow U15 match

Started by The Wedger, October 11, 2021, 05:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 14, 2021, 08:33:14 PM
Was there not a ref put in a boot with their kid on the back seat once?

Some supporters need to really catch themselves on though, it's counter productive on so many levels
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

rodney trotter

A referee and Co board official were  knocked out after a ladies Club game in Tyrone, a few years ago https://www.rte.ie/sport/ladies-football/2011/0627/281580-tyrone_ladiesfootball/

Itchy

Quote from: whitey on October 14, 2021, 02:39:04 PM
Quote from: Itchy on October 14, 2021, 02:19:00 PM
Quote from: whitey on October 14, 2021, 02:17:54 PM
Quote from: Itchy on October 14, 2021, 02:09:57 PM
Quote from: whitey on October 14, 2021, 01:45:06 PM
Quote from: Itchy on October 14, 2021, 01:25:34 PM
Quote from: whitey on October 14, 2021, 11:34:30 AM
Quote from: Itchy on October 14, 2021, 08:51:45 AM
Quote from: Eire90 on October 14, 2021, 08:45:02 AM
Quote from: whitey on October 13, 2021, 02:09:25 PM
Americans ask you all the time do Irish people hate the British

I tell them that the Irish probably hate the people living in the next village over way more than they hate the British

Ireland is a very tribal society and the GAA is a perfect outlet for some of the aggressions that would formerly have been settled via faction fighting

I've heard stuff drug up at matches that happened decades ago and had nothing to do with football

and why would you hate someone because they come from another village are the gaa creating conflict where it should not

Again, this is mostly not true either. I have lived in many counties in small parishes and villages and while there is often intense rivalry on the football field this rarely manifests as "hatred" in everyday life. I don't know has Whitey lived in Ireland since there were parish faction fights in the early 1900s but this is not the case in my experience. Crowd trouble is very rare in the GAA, hence there is never segregation at our matches with supporters of different teams free to mingle.

I'm not talking about cosmopolitans like you who have lived in many counties

I'm talking about the people who have never left their home parish who are always looking for something the feel slighted about

(And just because they hate each other doesn't mean they go flaking the heads off each other at every turn)

Thats a very small amount of people, mostly over 60 years old I'd say. Their flaking days are probably well behind them.

There's been serious flaking between supporters at tons of club and inter county teams over the past few years and it most certainly does not involve senior citizens

I know there is plenty of flaking but my point is its not between fella that have never left there parishes as you have alleged. Not in the year 2021 anyway.

There's tons of young people in every club who've never lived away from home or outside their own counties

You've now inserted the word "lived". When did you last live in Ireland as a matter of interest?

If you think that there is no hatred between clubs in rural Ireland that's entirely up to you.

Believe whatever you want

(Fire up the old Google machine and you'll find evidence of rival supporters fighting and referees being assaulted up and down the country-assaulting referees is intertwined with this tribalism)

I  never said there wasn't fighting etc. I objected to your painting of rural Ireland as a bunch of muck savages who've never left their parish and hate the people who live up the road.

whitey

Quote from: Itchy on October 14, 2021, 08:45:02 PM
Quote from: whitey on October 14, 2021, 02:39:04 PM
Quote from: Itchy on October 14, 2021, 02:19:00 PM
Quote from: whitey on October 14, 2021, 02:17:54 PM
Quote from: Itchy on October 14, 2021, 02:09:57 PM
Quote from: whitey on October 14, 2021, 01:45:06 PM
Quote from: Itchy on October 14, 2021, 01:25:34 PM
Quote from: whitey on October 14, 2021, 11:34:30 AM
Quote from: Itchy on October 14, 2021, 08:51:45 AM
Quote from: Eire90 on October 14, 2021, 08:45:02 AM
Quote from: whitey on October 13, 2021, 02:09:25 PM
Americans ask you all the time do Irish people hate the British

I tell them that the Irish probably hate the people living in the next village over way more than they hate the British

Ireland is a very tribal society and the GAA is a perfect outlet for some of the aggressions that would formerly have been settled via faction fighting

I've heard stuff drug up at matches that happened decades ago and had nothing to do with football

and why would you hate someone because they come from another village are the gaa creating conflict where it should not

Again, this is mostly not true either. I have lived in many counties in small parishes and villages and while there is often intense rivalry on the football field this rarely manifests as "hatred" in everyday life. I don't know has Whitey lived in Ireland since there were parish faction fights in the early 1900s but this is not the case in my experience. Crowd trouble is very rare in the GAA, hence there is never segregation at our matches with supporters of different teams free to mingle.

I'm not talking about cosmopolitans like you who have lived in many counties

I'm talking about the people who have never left their home parish who are always looking for something the feel slighted about

(And just because they hate each other doesn't mean they go flaking the heads off each other at every turn)

Thats a very small amount of people, mostly over 60 years old I'd say. Their flaking days are probably well behind them.

There's been serious flaking between supporters at tons of club and inter county teams over the past few years and it most certainly does not involve senior citizens

I know there is plenty of flaking but my point is its not between fella that have never left there parishes as you have alleged. Not in the year 2021 anyway.

There's tons of young people in every club who've never lived away from home or outside their own counties

You've now inserted the word "lived". When did you last live in Ireland as a matter of interest?

If you think that there is no hatred between clubs in rural Ireland that's entirely up to you.

Believe whatever you want

(Fire up the old Google machine and you'll find evidence of rival supporters fighting and referees being assaulted up and down the country-assaulting referees is intertwined with this tribalism)

I  never said there wasn't fighting etc. I objected to your painting of rural Ireland as a bunch of muck savages who've never left their parish and hate the people who live up the road.

Object away....it's a free country

Armagh18

Quote from: Rudi on October 14, 2021, 02:28:30 PM
It's pure bull dung & a cop out from the Gardai, issuing a statement saying "no formal complaint from the game was received ". No investigation unless a complaint received.
Hardly a matter for the Gardai now ffs

imtommygunn

If it's a matter for Gardai were it to happen on the streets then it should be a matter for the gardai were it to happen on the pitch.

Rudi

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 15, 2021, 07:36:44 AM
If it's a matter for Gardai were it to happen on the streets then it should be a matter for the gardai were it to happen on the pitch.

He's from Our ma, they sort things out themselves.

Armagh18

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 15, 2021, 07:36:44 AM
Aw now I'm sure they've better things to be at than investigating a few handbags thrown.

brokencrossbar1

It's only a matter for the Guards if someone makes a complaint. If the Guards or the RUC up north investigated every Snap Chat video of fights on the streets and playing fields of any sport they'd never be done!

These types of schemozzles happen in any sport. They are wrong and the clubs should be punished. Fining them is worthless.  Punishing the whole club is harsh but may need to happen. I think what does need to happen is that there needs to be strong education rolled out within clubs for a zero tolerance of this behaviour and of abusive behaviour to refs. It's is learned behaviour and unless it is stopped at very early stages the process continues on. I have coached and reffed at under age and some of the things that are said by mentors is shocking. The notion of win at all costs has to be stopped. I haven't been involved at rugby but have been involved at underage basketball and there's a very respectful approach to refs. Game may not be just as physical but if a ref is questioned then there's technical fouls called and points scored.

Education is the only way to deal with this and a real drive to change the mentality. Go Games ideals have not worked so a new look should be done. Silent sidelines, restricted numbers, as best as possible no parents coaching their own kids teams. There will always be rows but it's possible to minimise them.

Rudi

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 15, 2021, 10:36:55 AM
It's only a matter for the Guards if someone makes a complaint. If the Guards or the RUC up north investigated every Snap Chat video of fights on the streets and playing fields of any sport they'd never be done!

These types of schemozzles happen in any sport. They are wrong and the clubs should be punished. Fining them is worthless.  Punishing the whole club is harsh but may need to happen. I think what does need to happen is that there needs to be strong education rolled out within clubs for a zero tolerance of this behaviour and of abusive behaviour to refs. It's is learned behaviour and unless it is stopped at very early stages the process continues on. I have coached and reffed at under age and some of the things that are said by mentors is shocking. The notion of win at all costs has to be stopped. I haven't been involved at rugby but have been involved at underage basketball and there's a very respectful approach to refs. Game may not be just as physical but if a ref is questioned then there's technical fouls called and points scored.

Education is the only way to deal with this and a real drive to change the mentality. Go Games ideals have not worked so a new look should be done. Silent sidelines, restricted numbers, as best as possible no parents coaching their own kids teams. There will always be rows but it's possible to minimise them.

The Gardai should not have to wait for someone to make a complaint  before they take action. No parents coaching their own kids is probably a good idea in theory, however in the vast majority of clubs very few would get involved in coaching if this was the case. Tonight I'm taking a team where I have none of my family involved, I will miss my young lads soccer match which is on at the same time. Good gaa man - bad dad!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Rudi on October 15, 2021, 10:55:19 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 15, 2021, 10:36:55 AM

The Gardai should not have to wait for someone to make a complaint  before they take action. No parents coaching their own kids is probably a good idea in theory, however in the vast majority of clubs very few would get involved in coaching if this was the case. Tonight I'm taking a team where I have none of my family involved, I will miss my young lads soccer match which is on at the same time. Good gaa man - bad dad!

I understand that about the difficulties around clubs with small numbers having limited people to take teams. My suggestion is an ideal world scenario but it is not necessarily a far out reach for most clubs. And you are a bad dad ;D. Only kidding of course.

As regards the Guards, they have limited resources so will only be blue to do so much. This types of brawls are not happening all the time. I've been to countless underage games and blitzes and have only witnessed this once at the level that was in this video. Most competitions are run well and do not have parents/mentors frothing at the mouth waiting to bate all round them. Maybe I have been lucky and maybe the teams I coached played against teams that were as mannerly as the kids I coached. It is a problem but let's not start making it into something bigger. It seems so bad to us as we are involved in the sport. I've no doubt it happens at soccer and maybe to a lesser extent rugby. I think all sports can learn off each other

Tyrdub

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 14, 2021, 08:31:46 PM
Quote from: Tyrdub on October 14, 2021, 01:59:14 PM
Quote from: Itchy on October 14, 2021, 08:48:44 AM
Quote from: Eire90 on October 14, 2021, 08:47:25 AM
is a true a referee was a kidnapped at a game recently

No its not, its an urban myth that I have never seen any evidence off.

No, its not a myth, it happened after a game in a Munster county

Nearly happened up here but couldn't fit the ref in the boot  ;D

well it was a mini they tried getting him in to

Cheeky fecker

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tyrdub on October 15, 2021, 12:06:51 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 14, 2021, 08:31:46 PM
Quote from: Tyrdub on October 14, 2021, 01:59:14 PM
Quote from: Itchy on October 14, 2021, 08:48:44 AM
Quote from: Eire90 on October 14, 2021, 08:47:25 AM
is a true a referee was a kidnapped at a game recently

No its not, its an urban myth that I have never seen any evidence off.

No, its not a myth, it happened after a game in a Munster county

Nearly happened up here but couldn't fit the ref in the boot  ;D

well it was a mini they tried getting him in to

Cheeky fecker

;D ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Lar Naparka

This is not the first time a ref was abused in Wicklow! A poor ref got locked in a car boot also. This was a junior game between Rathnew and Rathdrum about 25-ish years ago
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Wildweasel74

That Ref got left up in the mountains by all accounts.