Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win?

Tyrone by 1-3
Tyrone by 4+
Kerry by 1-3
Kerry by 4+

delgany

Quote from: yellowcard on September 12, 2021, 10:54:26 AM
Kerry will be even more sick this morning but in light of Tyrone winnng the AI perhaps the over reaction to what was deemed a catastrophic performance at the time might not be viewed as bad in the cold light of day. Certainly the defeat and performance against Cork last year was a lot worse.

I also think Monaghan, Armagh, Derry and Donegal will look at Tyrone's success and think that if they can do it then they aren't too far away either especially now that Dublin have faded back into the pack.

It could be equally as hard to get out of Ulster as to win the All Ireland .

imtommygunn

Derry Armagh and tbh probably Donegal too probably a good bit from that kind of level. Monaghan closer but still think they are a good bit off the ai.

It will be really interesting to see whatever sting there is in Dublin next year. Kerry too.

yellowcard

Quote from: delgany on September 12, 2021, 12:32:29 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on September 12, 2021, 10:54:26 AM
Kerry will be even more sick this morning but in light of Tyrone winnng the AI perhaps the over reaction to what was deemed a catastrophic performance at the time might not be viewed as bad in the cold light of day. Certainly the defeat and performance against Cork last year was a lot worse.

I also think Monaghan, Armagh, Derry and Donegal will look at Tyrone's success and think that if they can do it then they aren't too far away either especially now that Dublin have faded back into the pack.

It could be equally as hard to get out of Ulster as to win the All Ireland .

For sure but thats if the existing structure remains, we will know more after congress is held over the coming months.

Rossfan

Unless Covid stops everything again this year's system won't be used.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

nrico2006

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 12, 2021, 01:15:28 PM
Derry Armagh and tbh probably Donegal too probably a good bit from that kind of level. Monaghan closer but still think they are a good bit off the ai.

It will be really interesting to see whatever sting there is in Dublin next year. Kerry too.

Derry and Armagh aren't in the same bracket as Monaghan or Donegal.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Nanderson

Quote from: Rossfan on September 12, 2021, 01:32:44 PM
Unless Covid stops everything again this year's system won't be used.
Is the 2nd tier system meant to start next year?

Armagh18

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 12, 2021, 01:41:49 PM

Donegal scraped past Derry by a point and Monaghan beat an Armagh team that conceded 4 goals without their first choice keeper or best defender. I really don't think there's a million miles between any of the top 5 teams in Ulster at the minute. Tyrone could have very easily lost to Donegal or Monaghan.

nrico2006

If Donegal played Derry 5 times they would beat them well, one tight game can happen every now and then.  Same with Monaghan and Armagh.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Blowitupref

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 12, 2021, 03:39:30 PM
If Donegal played Derry 5 times they would beat them well, one tight game can happen every now and then.  Same with Monaghan and Armagh.

Derrys are improving I'd expect them to push for Div 1 promotion next year. . Donegal have gone static and probably needed a new manager in place to bring improvement.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

clarshack

Quote from: Armagh18 on September 12, 2021, 03:13:40 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on September 12, 2021, 01:41:49 PM

Donegal scraped past Derry by a point and Monaghan beat an Armagh team that conceded 4 goals without their first choice keeper or best defender. I really don't think there's a million miles between any of the top 5 teams in Ulster at the minute. Tyrone could have very easily lost to Donegal or Monaghan.

Tyrone will be better next season so the other Ulster teams will have to improve even more if they want to beat us.

Main Street

Heavy lies the crown :)  How many Ulster AI winners come a cropper next time out?

Didn't Joe Brolly's Derry get beaten first time out in'94?   Armagh likewise,  ambushed in 2003 by Monaghan.

Ed Ricketts

Funnily enough, Armagh have beaten Monaghan in four of their last five competitive encounters. Including a tanking in the Championship just a couple of years ago.

Not convinced yet about Derry, and Armagh still have a propensity to self destruct, but the reality is that no one would be overly surprised if any of three or four teams turned Tyrone over in Ulster next year. Really exciting championship shaping up for 2022.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

MK

And therein lies the obvious difference with this years championship.....

next year will  revert to the back door thus would tyrone ,for example , beat the same" big team" twice?

Or would Dublin/Kerry prevail under such a format?

yellowcard

I think that only in time will we be able to properly judge the merit of this Tyrone side. At the start of the season I would have placed Donegal ahead of them and had them down in 5th nationally. The reality is that Donegal have regressed in the last 2 seasons but they have enough good players to reverse the slide. I would have doubts about their mental fortitude though as they seem to lack leaders outside of Murphy. Armagh would need to find a few decent defenders to get to the next level and win an ulster championship whilst Monaghan will still be hard to beat but I can't see much scope for improvement with a few of their key players getting on in years. Derry may be a few years away from winning at provincial level but Gallagher has got them organised and they are on an upward curve.

sid waddell

Quote from: yellowcard on September 12, 2021, 08:34:57 PM
I think that only in time will we be able to properly judge the merit of this Tyrone side. At the start of the season I would have placed Donegal ahead of them and had them down in 5th nationally. The reality is that Donegal have regressed in the last 2 seasons but they have enough good players to reverse the slide. I would have doubts about their mental fortitude though as they seem to lack leaders outside of Murphy. Armagh would need to find a few decent defenders to get to the next level and win an ulster championship whilst Monaghan will still be hard to beat but I can't see much scope for improvement with a few of their key players getting on in years. Derry may be a few years away from winning at provincial level but Gallagher has got them organised and they are on an upward curve.
It's a poor era for management.

Of the top five contenders, Dublin, Donegal and Kerry all have average managers. Only Kerry look like they might make a change for next year. If they get a good manager in charge, it's lights out for everybody else.

Tyrone and Mayo currently have the two best management teams of the top contenders. Horan is a very good manager on the whole but he has blind spots, and they were exposed yesterday.