Ulster Championship 2021

Started by J70, June 21, 2021, 12:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bob

Agree with above. He has been in charge for 7 years and has not reached an Ulster Final never mind win one

the goal was on

A top manager would have sorted the defence, it's been staring them in the face for years. If individual players aren't good enough then u need some sort of protection for them. Not leaving them exposed. Totally negligent and a dream scenario for other teams. Is Mc geeney a teacher outside of football?

rodney trotter

Yes you'd expect a bit more after 7 years. Division 1 was secured for another year, which would be a good starting point for a new manager if McGeeney stepped down.
McGeeney was part of the backroom team the year before he became manager, so 8 years with the group.

Armagh have really good forwards ,and a good midfield, but defence is the downfall.

Rip to Brendan Duffy.

Schkite

Quote from: larryin89 on July 18, 2021, 11:47:19 AM
Rian o neill is a joy to watch , one of the best footballers I've seen in a while . People quick to say hes not in Murphy, mcmanus category are not been fair minded or open minded . If someone who never seen any of McManus or o neill play till yesterday they'd say rian o neill is a better footballer .  McManus was cute as to get that free though reminded me of his namesake but a tony in a ros jersey , great men to fraud a free out of nothing.

Not really fair to compare them on one game though is it, nevermind a game that McManus was a doubt to even make. I'm surprised he lasted the full game in those conditions, but I'm sure glad he did to knock over those last couple frees. Whether they were soft or not, they weren't easy frees and he showed serious bottle to nail both in those circumstances.

But yeah, Rian O'Neill was excellent yesterday, and he'll be among the best forwards around for years to come. I'm not sure who got MOTM but he'd have deserved it. McManus and Murphy have been around at the top level for years but they won't have too many of those years left, while Rian has it all in front of him.

Solo_run

As much as I liked McGeeney as a player, as a manager he hasn't made the cut. He has been a county manager since 2007 with Kildare and Armagh but never won anything meaningful with either team. He has built a fairly decent attack based team but it has come at a cost to our defence and he has ignored this problem for quite a while. In seven years, how we still do not have a defence in beyond any sort of comprehension. Time for new management that can build on what McGeeney has done so far.

Main Street

Quote from: larryin89 on July 18, 2021, 11:47:19 AM
Rian o neill is a joy to watch , one of the best footballers I've seen in a while . People quick to say hes not in Murphy, mcmanus category are not been fair minded or open minded . If someone who never seen any of McManus or o neill play till yesterday they'd say rian o neill is a better footballer .  McManus was cute as to get that free though reminded me of his namesake but a tony in a ros jersey , great men to fraud a free out of nothing.
McManus getting the 2 frees was the easy part, hitting them over the bar from a long range was the evidence of real class and leadership under intense pressure. Generally he's not that accurate over 45m out from goal, the easy decision would have been for him to call up Beggan, but he can be hit or miss.

Main Street

Donegal to win but tragedy strikes with Murphy out for 4 weeks.

Eire90

whats the record temperature a championship match as been played in

RedHand88

Quote from: Eire90 on July 18, 2021, 01:44:52 PM
whats the record temperature a championship match as been played in

Not sure but Tyrone v Derry in 1995 was very very hot.

MayoBuck

That looked a deliberate trip on Neil McGee

clarshack

Should have been a black card tbf

tonto1888

Quote from: MayoBuck on July 18, 2021, 01:52:00 PM
That looked a deliberate trip on Neil McGee

thats what I thought

J70

There'd be some crying from certain Tyrone boys if it was the other way around.

Schkite

Awful effort on goal by McCurry there, he should have been burying that

trueblue1234

Quote from: J70 on July 18, 2021, 01:55:22 PM
There'd be some crying from certain Tyrone boys if it was the other way around.

That's a disguised cry there J70!!  ;)
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit