Joe Duffy - Liveline

Started by From the Bunker, February 08, 2021, 06:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tres Bien

Quote from: trueblue1234 on October 10, 2021, 11:11:31 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on October 10, 2021, 10:03:54 AM
Are unvaccinated people responsible for all infections? Latest figures I'm seeing in the North is 1,000-1,300 a day. Are you telling me that around  1 person in 10 is responsible for all those numbers? As if those unjabbed are all going around with no masks, sneezing  in people's faces, doing feck all social distancing?

I've ssid it before, over the last few months, since more and more  people have been vaccinated, more and more people are doing less and less mask wearing, social distancing,  congregating in big number indoors etc etc. If you're looking at why there's up to 1,300 daily cases, and why the health service is still under pressure, then maybe you need to look at these people.

Figures out this wk show for NI show you are 18 times more likely to be hospitalised for Covid if you are unvaccinated than vaccinated. That's the biggest reason right there. Would you prefer a lockdown to deal with Covid instead? To reduce these large numbers mixing? That's your solution?

This is just incredible. You fully believe that in the past week there were 18 unvaccinated Covid hospital admissions compared for every vaccinated hospital admission.

If you look at the death stats for the past month, the overwhelming amount of deaths are over 60s. Are the vast majority of over 60s not fully vaccinated? Maybe upward of 80% of over 60s?

The next notable statistic is cases, the vast majority of cases are now school children, under the age of 14, it's been that way for over a good month? And these people are generally not been hospitalised and are clearly not dying.

So if you are repeating that statement and not even questioning the veracity of it then I think it tells you that you'd swallow anything you're told.

That's the statistics on Covid cases at present. It's the 7 day average, it's been fairly steady at that over the past month.

Now, can you confirm the number of hospital admissions under the age of 15 (a wholly unvaccinated grouping). According to that we've had around 5k steady positive cases in each of the past 4 weeks. That's around 20k unvaccinated positive cases in under 15s in the past month, all unvaccinated - how many deaths in the past 4 weeks under 15? Zero deaths. How many hospital admissions of under 15 in the past 4 weeks? How many under 15s in ICU with Covid in the past 4 weeks?

Surely by your 18 to 1 assertion that you swallowed without questioning, it should be loaded with hospitalised under 15s as they are the ones getting Covid now and they are the ones who are unvaccinated?

The fact is you are incapable of probing and challenging what you're told, you just accept it and repeat and this is why you begin to look a little bit silly.

Snapchap

Quote from: BennyCake on October 10, 2021, 11:40:36 AM
Quote from: Snapchap on October 10, 2021, 10:53:23 AM
Are unvaccinated people responsible for all infections? Latest figures I'm seeing in the North is 1,000-1,300 a day. Are you telling me that around  1 person in 10 is responsible for all those numbers? As if those unjabbed are all going around with no masks, sneezing  in people's faces, doing feck all social distancing?

I've ssid it before, over the last few months, since more and more  people have been vaccinated, more and more people are doing less and less mask wearing, social distancing,  congregating in big number indoors etc etc. If you're looking at why there's up to 1,300 daily cases, and why the health service is still under pressure, then maybe you need to look at these people.

Benny, the common denominator of the vast majority of those taking up hospital beds is that they haven't been vaccinated. Social distancing and mask wearing isn't the main weapon to defeat the pandemic. Those were mitigations that were essential in the absence of a vaccine. The vaccine is the best weapon against the pandemic. That's the view of the experts across the world. You don't know better then them.

There is no good reason for not taking the vaccine outside of  stupidity or arrogance. I genuinely am at a loss as to what the argument is for refusing it. If you are worried about a side effects, then surely you refuse every vaccine there is for anything? If you are only worried about the covid jabs, then why? We know it's as safe as any other jab.

Seriously like...when the world's scientists, medics, biomedical experts, virologists almost unanimously agree that this vaccine is safe, effective and necessary to beat the pandemic, how f**king arrogant do you have to be to genuinely think you know better?

So, two vaccinated people meet up. No masks, no social distancing, no windows opened. They shake hands, hug and don't keep a safe distance.

Another two people (regardless of vaccination status)  meet up, they keep a safe distance, wear masks, hand sanitizer, open windows etc.

Who is more likely to spread and get the virus?

You've just confirmed my point. Oh we only had to socially distance ourselves, wear masks etc until a vaccine came along. But now it's here, we don't have to do any of that now. The vaccine will save us!

So the vaccine isn't the magic bullet. Yes it will help, but The way to repress this virus is distancing and good hygiene which many many people have clearly given up on.

I'm not saying social distancing etc isn't still essential. It is. But it's not the main weapon against the pandemic and the lack of social distancing is no justification for not getting vaccinated.

Tres Bien

Quote from: JoG2 on October 10, 2021, 11:35:10 AM

;D the ICUs are jammed packed with anti-vaxers, but it's the vaccinated peoples fault. Truly astounding

There's 35 people in ICU at present with Covid?

What's the breakdown of unvaccinated vs vaccinated of these 35 people?

Surely in order to make such a brazen and definitive assertion you must know? Because if you are speaking on matters with such authority on the basis of brazen ignorance then I would say it shows you have absolutely zero credibility on this subject and you badly undermine an argument to convince people that are hesitant to get a vaccine to change their mind.

You win people over with being honest and trying to encourage and convince people to your side with respect, you seem to want to demand people to take your side and use bullyboy tactics and misinformation.

Tres Bien

Quote from: Snapchap on October 10, 2021, 11:46:00 AM

Benny, the common denominator of the vast majority of those taking up hospital beds is that they haven't been vaccinated. Social distancing and mask wearing isn't the main weapon to defeat the pandemic. Those were mitigations that were essential in the absence of a vaccine. The vaccine is the best weapon against the pandemic. That's the view of the experts across the world. You don't know better then them.

There is no good reason for not taking the vaccine outside of  stupidity or arrogance. I genuinely am at a loss as to what the argument is for refusing it. If you are worried about a side effects, then surely you refuse every vaccine there is for anything? If you are only worried about the covid jabs, then why? We know it's as safe as any other jab.

Seriously like...when the world's scientists, medics, biomedical experts, virologists almost unanimously agree that this vaccine is safe, effective and necessary to beat the pandemic, how f**king arrogant do you have to be to genuinely think you know better?

So, two vaccinated people meet up. No masks, no social distancing, no windows opened. They shake hands, hug and don't keep a safe distance.

Another two people (regardless of vaccination status)  meet up, they keep a safe distance, wear masks, hand sanitizer, open windows etc.

You've just confirmed my point. Oh we only had to socially distance ourselves, wear masks etc until a vaccine came along. But now it's here, we don't have to do any of that now. The vaccine will save us!

So the vaccine isn't the magic bullet. Yes it will help, but The way to repress this virus is distancing and good hygiene which many many people have clearly given up on.

I'm not saying social distancing etc isn't still essential. It is. But it's not the main weapon against the pandemic and the lack of social distancing is no justification for not getting vaccinated.

The justification for people not getting vaccinated is their personal choice. Should we vaccinate 8 year olds?

sid waddell

Who is more likely to behave responsibly? Somebody who has already taken the responsible decision to get vaccinated, or somebody who has already taken the irresponsible decision to not get vaccinated?

Who is more likely to take the responsible decision to wear a seat belt? Somebody who has taken the responsible decision to remain sober while driving or somebody who has taken the irresponsible decision to drive while drunk?

Responsible decisions tend to go together. So do irresponsible ones.

You say the vaccine is "a help"? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it the case that you aren't vaccinated?

If so, you recognise that society returning to normal depends on a very high vaccine take up among the population at large - but yet you yourself refuse to help?

Let's be clear what people who are not vaccinated are saying - they are saying they would have no problem at all if NOBODY was vaccinated and Delta continued to run absolutely rampant around an unvaccinated population, causing mass death on a much greater scale than we have already seen.

Because they themselves have taken the decision to not get vaccinated.

RedHand88

Quote from: Tres Bien on October 10, 2021, 11:49:34 AM

The justification for people not getting vaccinated is their personal choice. Should we vaccinate 8 year olds?

If it is proven to be safe then absolutely.

Before the age of 8 a child is vaccinated against Hep B, Diptheria, Polio, Tetanus. MenB, MenC, whooping cough, rotavirus. Why should be covid be any different?

Snapchap

Quote from: Tres Bien on October 10, 2021, 11:29:40 AM
You took a personal choice to take the vaccine due to perceived benefits. That's fine, that's your decision and I respect that.

How about you do other people the same courtesy and afford that they have genuine reasons for not wanting to take the vaccine at this time? My arguments are not straw man arguments, yours certainly are as you are the one with blinkered, intolerant and contradictory viewpoints that circle round to why everyone should come to the same decision as yours.

I. didn't take the vaccine for the "perceived" benefits. I took it for the scientifically verifiable benefits. That's the difference.

I'm not saying you should be forced to get vaccinated. I am saying that there is no logical reason not to, and that I should  not have to respect your opinion that not getting the vaccine is a morally justifiable thing to do. It's a deeply stupid, selfish, arrogant thing to do. It's my right to believe as much.

You still haven't given one good reason for not getting vaccinated. You know why? Because there is no good reason. So why don't you just admit that you just think you are more qualified to talk about the vaccine than the world's scientific community?

Q1. Do you accept that the vaccine reduces your chances of catching covid?
Q2. Do you accept that the vaccine reduces you capacity to transmit covid to someone else by up to two thirds?

sid waddell

Should we vaccinate 8 year olds?
If vaccines are deemed safe and approved for 8 year olds - and it seems certain vaccines are going to be deemed safe by the experts and approved for use for as low as 5 year olds in the US very soon - why would we not vaccinate 8 year old children - or 5 year old children for that matter?

If and when the vaccines are approved for children down to 0 years old, why on earth would we not vaccinate them too?

BennyCake

"Those were mitigations that were essential in the absence of a vaccine."

Those are mitigations that are still essential, even with the availability of a vaccine. But like I said, many many people have clearly given up on them once they've been jabbed. So are those people  not being selfish? Are they not responsible for  keeping rates high?

Tres Bien

Quote from: JoG2 on October 10, 2021, 11:35:10 AM

;D the ICUs are jammed packed with anti-vaxers, but it's the vaccinated peoples fault. Truly astounding

This is just incredible.

It's easy comment for JOG2 to back up, there's currently 35 people in ICU with Covid. He has to have the data to support this, he should provide it here and along with his source or he should admit he's dealing in quite hysterical misinformation to support his viewpoint? It's simply and misinformation on Covid needs to be called out across the board. Vaccine fascists like JOG2 are polarising this debate every bit as much as the anti-vax nutters.

There's also the rather snide and crude terming of people who believe people's choices should be respected on whether or not to get the vaccine as anti-vax. Not deciding to get the Covid vaccine does not meant you are anti-vax, there's plenty of people who are quite happy to get vaccines but for whatever reasons have reservations or do not see the upside to getting this particular vaccine - that should be met with respect but the vaccine fascists prefer to gaslight people with an opposing viewpoint by putting incorrect and derogatory labels on them. This is misrepresentation and again I have to ask, what is the motive behind people who want to misrepresent other views and beliefs? Rather than the debate the issue with that person they want to make out they are arguing something they quite clearly are not. A number of posters like Milltown Row have engaged in this tactic already in this thread. You're another one.

It's embarrassing for you.

Tres Bien

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 10, 2021, 11:56:57 AM

Before the age of 8 a child is vaccinated against Hep B, Diptheria, Polio, Tetanus. MenB, MenC, whooping cough, rotavirus. Why should be covid be any different?

That's another falsehood. People have died and got seriously ill from the vaccine. No medical or scientific person would declare the vaccine is absolutely safe, it's officially acknowledged there are potential side effects that cause deaths and severe illnesses. You should correct your statement now to acknowledge that. They might be happy of the minimal chance of those incidents but vaccines have been limited from use already for long periods of time due to the severe incidents they were causing.

The data is there on the dashboard, we've had 13 deaths in ~150k cases in the under 40 category. We do not know how many of those 13 deaths had underlying health conditions, it would be brilliant if the NHS disclosed that information, it would allow people make more informed decisions. I'd personally love to know how many of that 13 suffered with obesity. From the early American figures, obesity seemed to be hugely linked to deaths of younger people from Covid.

Milltown Row2

Was at large scale vaccination program this morning, now I've only ever had the flu once and would be very healthy fit not over weight person, but the surgery is carrying out its flu jab program. Jab taken at 10.45 and I'm still alive surprisingly, I didn't check out the Facebook experts beforehand otherwise they'd have talked me out of it! no after effects just like the Covid vaccination.

Had to laugh though some aul boy was getting out of his car with his family, straight away feg in mouth as he was lining up at the queue for the flu jab!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sid waddell

Tres Bien

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 10, 2021, 11:56:57 AM

What's the upside of vaccinating an 8 year old against something that is of minimal threat to an 8 year old?

Would you vaccinate your 8 year old against the flu?

Snapchap

Quote from: BennyCake on October 10, 2021, 12:00:45 PM

"Those were mitigations that were essential in the absence of a vaccine."

Those are mitigations that are still essential, even with the availability of a vaccine. But like I said, many many people have clearly given up on them once they've been jabbed. So are those people  not being selfish? Are they not responsible for  keeping rates high?
Of course they re still essential, but the fact that people do it less doesn't make vaccination any less crucial.