All Ireland Straight Knockout Championship

Started by laceer, May 23, 2007, 01:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laceer

Would anyone be in favour of an open draw straight knockout championship?Provincial championships and NFL could still be played as secondary competitions but I think the magic has gone out of the championship this past few years..imagine kerry and the dubs playing in the first round of a championship where if you're beat, you're out.It's bound to be better than the current 'we'd like like to win but if we don't sure we'll still have another dig at it' competition ..there'd be no talk about poor attendances, teams gettin a handy run in the qualifiers etc

sureyouwill

Quote from: laceer on May 23, 2007, 01:33:04 PM
Would anyone be in favour of an open draw straight knockout championship?Provincial championships and NFL could still be played as secondary competitions but I think the magic has gone out of the championship this past few years..imagine kerry and the dubs playing in the first round of a championship where if you're beat, you're out.It's bound to be better than the current 'we'd like like to win but if we don't sure we'll still have another dig at it' competition ..there'd be no talk about poor attendances, teams gettin a handy run in the qualifiers etc

Imagine Kerry getting London or Wicklow or Waterford in the first round, can't see such a match getting  30,000 can you?

qub la la la

magpie seanie

Kerry Mike

There has been enough tinkering with the championship over the last 10 years, its a bloody hard competition to win as it is, and its a straight knockout when you get down to the 1/4 final stages at the moment which has made it harder to win over the last few years since its introduction.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

the Deel Rover

they should leave it the way it is ,but leave kerry out of it altogether at least we (mayo) might have a chance of winning it ;D ;D ;D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

David McKeown

I actually quite like the idea and think it might be worth ago.  Unfortunately nowadays when a county becomes successful their provincial title is seen as pointless and as a result are devalued, this might re-energise those competitions.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

magpie seanie

Quite the opposite I think. It would devalue further the provincial title - as referenced in the proposal above it would be a "secondary" competition like the league.

laceer

Quote from: sureyouwill on May 23, 2007, 01:40:15 PM
Quote from: laceer on May 23, 2007, 01:33:04 PM

Imagine Kerry getting London or Wicklow or Waterford in the first round, can't see such a match getting  30,000 can you?

doesn't matter who london or wicklow or waterford play in the first round, there's not goin to be 30,000 there

Quote from: Kerry Mike on May 23, 2007, 02:13:46 PM
There has been enough tinkering with the championship over the last 10 years, its a bloody hard competition to win as it is, and its a straight knockout when you get down to the 1/4 final stages at the moment which has made it harder to win over the last few years since its introduction.

exactly-and it hasn't made it any better IMHO

championship should mean a knockout competition- think the qualifier system has taken a bit of the buzz away from the championship

The Real Laoislad

Rather than a straight knock out how about a champions league/World cup type group stage with the top two from each group advancing to the 1/4 finals
You'll Never Walk Alone.

David McKeown

Might devalue the competition but I think the back door has already done that.  I remember when we lost to Monaghan in 2003 I felt nothing because we had the back door and losing out on Ulster meant nothing.  Similarly I have only really carred about one of the last three Ulster titles, in 2005 I think that to me this shows the competition has already been devalued.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Jinxy

All this talk of provincial champioships being devalued puzzles me. Provincial crowns are only taken for granted by teams that win them on a regular basis, i.e. Armagh and Dublin currently, who are only interested in Sam as they've won the last few provincial titles. If Donegal, Monaghan, Derry or Down won the Anglo-Celt cup they would be c**k-a-hoop, likewise Laois, Wexford, Louth, Offaly and even Meath in Leinster as we haven't won it in 6 years. I'd be over the moon if we won a Leinster this year.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

new devil