Dual Citizenship

Started by Aerlik, May 22, 2007, 04:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerlik

Well lads and lassies, I'm 10 hours away from facing the Australian Citizenship Office to convince them I am worthy of becoming an Aussie.  Actually the only reason I am doing it is cos of my son, who's 9/16 Irish anyway.  Among the responsibilities and privileges of note are the following:

- "defend Australia, should the need arise."  In other words if the w**ker John Howard pisses off the Indonesian or if Rio Tinto keeps increasing the cost of Iron Ore for the Chinese, there is every likelihood I will be called upon to defend Australia.  Hmmm, 7 years of Tae Kwon Do might not go very far I think.

So those of you out there who have or are contemplating getting dual citizenship, who among you would be prepared to give your life for another country?

Then there's the question of the oath to be taken at the ceremony...
"From this time forward, under God*
I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people
whose democratic beliefs I share;
whose rights and liberties I respect, and
whose laws I will uphold and obey."
* A person may choose whether or not to use the words " under God".

I have chosen to omit the words "under God" as I feel only Mother Ireland deserves such loyalty. 
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

heganboy

maybe you could just mumble it...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

rosnarun

whse yer mum the queen? good luck saluting the union flag even if its only the bit up in the corner.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Aerlik

Re. the flag.  I have been on a bit of a mission doing my bit to "drag the rag from the flag".  I have been discussing at length with the most red-necked of redneck Aussies the sputum in the corner of the current Aussie flag.  Imagine their surprise when I informed them that they did not volunteer at Gallipoli or St.Quentin, or Le Quesnoi, or other tiny unrecognised corners of Europe during WW 1, but were ordered to go over on the threat of being shot by the English (not the Aussie) uberlords.  "but it's part of our heritiage"...yeah right, think long and hard about it...long and hard. 

I don't have to salute the flag thank fcuk.  I am very much in favour of the alternative Australian flag designed by a fella from WA.  If i knew how to post it I would.

And when asked what role the Queen had in most Aussies' lives, it is depressing that so few of them understand the corruption.  Yet so few of them are prepared to take time out to try to understand the oppression suffered by the native population.    I hate racism.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Aerlik on May 22, 2007, 04:15:28 PM
Well lads and lassies, I'm 10 hours away from facing the Australian Citizenship Office to convince them I am worthy of becoming an Aussie. 

Remind me, again, who's Australia's Head of State?  ;)

Good Luck Cobber!
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Aerlik

Yes, Lizzy the whore is the Head Of State, but as I said, I am doing it for my son, who already has Irish citizenship.  The Australian Police are, I have been told by very reliable sources, about to drop the requirement to swear the oath to the tr**p too.  EG, next thing you'll be telling us is that there is a clan in New South Wales that conducts all their Post Office documentation in Ulster Scots.
Can't wait for Australia to follow Canada's lead.
Ulster Scots, U/S... unserviceable.

Gabriel_Hurl

QuoteCan't wait for Australia to follow Canada's lead.

the pledging allegiance to the Queen thing still occurs here

Evil Genius

Quote from: Aerlik on May 22, 2007, 05:13:24 PM
Yes, Lizzy the whore is the Head Of State, but as I said, I am doing it for my son, who already has Irish citizenship.  The Australian Police are, I have been told by very reliable sources, about to drop the requirement to swear the oath to the tr**p too.  EG, next thing you'll be telling us is that there is a clan in New South Wales that conducts all their Post Office documentation in Ulster Scots.
Can't wait for Australia to follow Canada's lead.
Ulster Scots, U/S... unserviceable.

So you're selling your son into the service of Her Majesty, eh? How very principled of you!

P.S. Whether the Oz Fuzz swears it or not won't change your/their Head of State.

P.P.S. What on earth is your obsession with Ulster-Scots, an obscure, little-known dialect (at best)? And what has it got to do with your decision to apply for Citizenship of a Nation which has Queen Elizabeth as their Head of State?
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Aerlik

Sammy G I can imagine is busting his breaches at your incredulity. How dare you question the dignity of the official language of Northern Ireland.  Yeah, shite.  No, simply put, the days of the evil empire are ending and I want to have a finger in the pie whe the rest of yiz are chucked out.

My mini-me was born here; either here or Japan. Shou ga nai as the Japs would say

Evil Genius

Quote from: Aerlik on May 22, 2007, 05:29:10 PM
Sammy G I can imagine is busting his breaches at your incredulity. How dare you question the dignity of the official language of Northern Ireland.  Yeah, shite.  No, simply put, the days of the evil empire are ending and I want to have a finger in the pie whe the rest of yiz are chucked out.

My mini-me was born here; either here or Japan. Shou ga nai as the Japs would say

I'm not Sammy G. I think this whole petty squabble whereby one tribe tries to pretend Irish is/should be a viable, working language in NI worthy of equal and official status alongside English, and the other responds with "Ulster-Scots" on a "Nah, Nah Ne Nah" basis to be pathetic.

Butno matter. I still fail to see how this justifies or explains an Irish Republican who decides that his Irish Citizenship is inadequate for his son*, so decides to take out an extra citizenship from a country which has Queen Eliabeth as Head of State.

* - A son born either in Australia or Japan? What, on the plane, somewhere over the Pacific?
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Evil Genius on May 22, 2007, 05:40:31 PM

I'm not Sammy G. I think this whole petty squabble whereby one tribe tries to pretend Irish is/should be a viable, working language in NI worthy of equal and official status alongside English, and the other responds with "Ulster-Scots" on a "Nah, Nah Ne Nah" basis to be pathetic.

And there was me thinking that it was the EU that recognised Irish as an offical language!
Tbc....

Aerlik

EG, my son wasn't sold into anything but born in Australia to his Australian mother and Irish father.  I have decided to take the option of citizenship to further job prospects and get the right to vote...especially vote for the not too far off Republic Of Australia.

The great position I'm in is that I have chosen to live here, realising Lizzy the hoor is head of state.  The fact that she claims to be head of state (and let's face it, that's all it is) of the British-annexed northeastern 6 counties of Ireland is something that I do have a gripe about.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Opens up the old chestnut that most of us in Ireland, certainly over 30 years of age, can be accepted as Irish citizens based on the birth place of our grandparents, even if, ostensibly, we just happened to be born in north-eastern Ireland and are categorised as British 'subjects'.

Still, some OWCers don't often seem to recognise that fact.

"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

Evil Genius

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 22, 2007, 10:07:47 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on May 22, 2007, 05:40:31 PM

And there was me thinking that it was the EU that recognised Irish as an offical language!

Of course the EU recognises Irish as an Official Language - of the Irish Republic.

I was merely making the point that the language effectively died out as a lingua franca in (what is now) NI around a century ago, without anyone being able effectively to restore it so.
Therefore, to try and accord it equal official status alongside English in NI is pointless, misleading and wasteful (imo).
Even worse is the Ulster-Scots lobby's response, which may simply be characterised as "Themmuns have got one [an official language], so Ussuns must have one". Pathetic.  >:(
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Bogball XV

Grousebeater - is that you??