China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Dentists have had quite a run on social media too. Many of them seem to be using this as an opportunity to go fully private and ditch NHS patients. My own dentist is more than happy to work on me for a few hundred quid but I can't get the kids a checkup for the first time in guts of 2 years.

RedHand88

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 12, 2021, 02:40:22 PM
Dentists have had quite a run on social media too. Many of them seem to be using this as an opportunity to go fully private and ditch NHS patients. My own dentist is more than happy to work on me for a few hundred quid but I can't get the kids a checkup for the first time in guts of 2 years.

I had a private checkup in June, had to book it in April. Stuff like the scale/polish isn't being done at the minute as they would have to close the room for an hour after to allow respiratory droplets to settle. Hospital outpatient clinics stopped completely for a long time and are slowly coming back, mostly by telephone. Visitations to inpatients is basically banned unless they are terminal. For births, partners are only brought in for the final stage of labour and have to leave afterwards, they don't get near the maternity ward.

I can understand why people are frustrated they find it difficult to get a face to face with their GP, but unfortunately that's the world at the minute. It is not your GPs fault.

6th sam

Quote from: Last Man on September 12, 2021, 12:23:38 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on September 10, 2021, 11:41:37 PM
Quote from: Last Man on September 10, 2021, 12:40:29 PM
I have a 16 month old grand daughter running a high temperature, loose mucous cough and inflamed ear. Our GP refuses to see her without a negative PCR. Where do you start to get a successful swab from an infant. Is it just me thinking that the GPs are the biggest cowards in all of this. The less we are beholding to them the better!

If she has symptoms of covid you take her to the covid specific centre, not your GP practice. If you are Hightown, Belfast, your nearest one in guessing is A/town.

Try taking her to the dentist, hospital or any other healthcare setting when she has those symptoms and see what happens!
Cant the doctor put a mask and gloves on? They stop transmission don't they!
Most people with a temperature do not need to see a GP. A Covid safe consultation takes up considerable resources. If GPs provide this for everyone with a fever the system would break , and most importantly those that really need an appointment or telephone consultation have to wait longer. The problem with the NHS is that some people with minor complaints have unrealistic expectations of a poorly resourced NHS, putting it under pressure. Until it is properly resourced the public need to be careful not to abuse it , to allow the NHS to prioritise those that need it most.

Cunny Funt

ROI weekly update. Lowest weekly case number in 6 weeks and we had the highest testing weekly figure since mid January. Improvement on the hospital situation also.

9883 cases (629 fewer cases than last week)
315 in hospital (47 fewer than last Sunday)
59 are in ICU (no change)

armaghniac

These numbers are going in the right direction. But it wouldn't surprise me if the opening of third level colleges drove it up.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tony Baloney

Quote from: RedHand88 on September 12, 2021, 02:51:54 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 12, 2021, 02:40:22 PM

I had a private checkup in June, had to book it in April. Stuff like the scale/polish isn't being done at the minute as they would have to close the room for an hour after to allow respiratory droplets to settle. Hospital outpatient clinics stopped completely for a long time and are slowly coming back, mostly by telephone. Visitations to inpatients is basically banned unless they are terminal. For births, partners are only brought in for the final stage of labour and have to leave afterwards, they don't get near the maternity ward.

I can understand why people are frustrated they find it difficult to get a face to face with their GP, but unfortunately that's the world at the minute. It is not your GPs fault.
Our GP surgery has been spot on but it's a relatively small (3 doctor) country surgery. Amongst the family we have had several callbacks via video or asked to send photos with option for a F2F if required. Had no complaints but the biggest complaint in the public, and one that I think is valid, is that lack of F2F every time means that GPS won't pick up on things that weren't the reason for the initial consultation.

Cunny Funt

ROI weekly update. Another decent week

9245 cases (638 fewer cases than last week)
278 in hospital (37 fewer than a week ago)
63 in ICU  (4 more than last Sunday)

bennydorano

Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 19, 2021, 04:29:54 PM

I've been watching the stats lately wondering why NI was having regular reports of daily single figure deaths and there were none from ROI, has it just been a case of them not being widely reported? I downloaded the ROI Covid tracker app to get the EU digi Vaccine Certificate & it gives you the death stats on it - 24 deaths last week.

JoG2

1/5 of care home workers in the North unvaccinated. Hard to get the head around that stat

armaghniac

Quote from: bennydorano on September 20, 2021, 12:32:41 PM
I've been watching the stats lately wondering why NI was having regular reports of daily single figure deaths and there were none from ROI, has it just been a case of them not being widely reported? I downloaded the ROI Covid tracker app to get the EU digi Vaccine Certificate & it gives you the death stats on it - 24 deaths last week.

The ROI has not reported daily figures recently, which is perhaps no harm. Deaths per week have been little more than half in the North, which when you adjust for population it means the North is 4 or 5 times the rate.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: bennydorano on September 20, 2021, 12:32:41 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 19, 2021, 04:29:54 PM

They stopped reporting daily death stats here since the hack. A random day is chosen now for weekly reported deaths and some of them are from this month or a few months ago.

bennydorano

I've lost faith in Covid death stats, I personally know of 4 people who have died in the past 3 weeks, 2 x Cancer, 1 x Alzhemiers and 1x (very) old age who've all went down as Covid stats and it was no more Covid that killed them.

BennyCake

Quote from: bennydorano on September 20, 2021, 02:18:52 PM
I've lost faith in Covid death stats, I personally know of 4 people who have died in the past 3 weeks, 2 x Cancer, 1 x Alzhemiers and 1x (very) old age who've all went down as Covid stats and it was no more Covid that killed them.

I lost faith in  the daily death figure over a year ago.

J70

Would they have died if they hadn't contracted Covid?

armaghniac

Perhaps 1% of people have Covid at any one time, maybe 3% in a month, and so you would expect perhaps 30-40 people to die each month with Covid, who perhaps were not killed by it. However, the rate in NI is that number of deaths each week because the likes of that DUP guy and other people in their 30s and 40s are dying.
As the Covid rate falls the stats become increasingly hard to follow, but I think NI is still above that level. Probably few enough are dying of Covid in the South.