Armagh v Donegal USFC 14/06/2015

Started by Agent Orange, May 17, 2015, 06:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

If we get over this, I think we should be fit to go all the way in Ulster. Big if though. Armagh were the better team in the first half of the quarter final last year, and despite us dominating the second, they still found the goal when they needed it to get back into it. I agree with Tony - 50/50.

Captain Obvious

Division three league football is poor preparation for championship game like this. Last year in the quarter final Armagh had serious momentum from a number of qualifier wins.

naka

Quote from: Orior on May 17, 2015, 11:16:00 PM
We need a back row of Mallon, Donaghy and Morgan to deal with Donegal. In Donaghy fit?
I think donaghy will start this one, with mallon, Vernon,morgan, mc keever and shields
findon and ethan
up front will be interesting,dyas, kernan,  forker,Clarke, murnin and the last one could be anyone

BluestackBoy

That game yesterday will be a big help to Donegal as all the training & league games in the world don't prepare you for championship.

Donegal will target Jamie Clarke big time & will feel that if they can do a job on him that they should have enough to see them through.

Playing at home will be a big advantage for Armagh & I see another tight game with Donegal to get through by a couple.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

illdecide

Armagh & McGeeney will have known for some time that Armagh would be playing Donegal and they will be as ready for them as practicably possible, yes the lack of game time/championship intensity will be missing but they should be able to give them a right rattle. Unfortunately playing at home is not really beneficial to the home team the way it would be in say soccer so I wouldn't imagine Donegal having any fear of coming to Armagh.

There is a big game in Armagh and they've had some time to prepare for this game so there should be no excuses and we'll certainly know in 4 weeks time where Armagh is at regarding progression from last year. Looking forward to the game and a full house in Athletic Grounds for what should be a right good battle...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

bennydorano

Quote from: Orior on May 17, 2015, 09:43:56 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on May 17, 2015, 07:39:59 PM
Yeah, MF would have to be our main area of concern, has to be Findon & Ethan Rafferty, but i'm sure there'll be a fair bit of congestion in the area anyway. We also need a CHB that doesn't play for the Wolfe Tones.

Who is your preferred half back line?
Gk?
Mallon, Vernon, Murray
Shields, McKeever, Morgan
Findon, E Rafferrty
Dyas, McKenna, C Raff
Campbell, Jamie, Mcparland.

When i started typing there i just realised how many options we actually have. it's more a team i'd like to see rather the team i'd expect to see. I'd like to see McParland on there, he's a poacher.

mackers

That wouldn't be too far off my team Benny.  I'd swap A Forker for McKenna (who would be unlucky to miss out).  There's a few fitness concerns on your team in Mickey Murray and Stefan Campbell.  Murnin wouldn't be too far off but again he has fitness problems and I'd worry he'd be too green to be in a FF line with those McGee boys horsing about.
I agree wholeheartedly with your suggestion of keeping Finn Mo as far away from the pitch as possible but I think Geezer will play him.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

yellowcard

Quote from: bennydorano on May 18, 2015, 01:33:58 PM
Quote from: Orior on May 17, 2015, 09:43:56 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on May 17, 2015, 07:39:59 PM
Yeah, MF would have to be our main area of concern, has to be Findon & Ethan Rafferty, but i'm sure there'll be a fair bit of congestion in the area anyway. We also need a CHB that doesn't play for the Wolfe Tones.

Who is your preferred half back line?
Gk?
Mallon, Vernon, Murray
Shields, McKeever, Morgan
Findon, E Rafferrty
Dyas, McKenna, C Raff
Campbell, Jamie, Mcparland.

When i started typing there i just realised how many options we actually have. it's more a team i'd like to see rather the team i'd expect to see. I'd like to see McParland on there, he's a poacher.

I'd go the same up until the forwards where I'd move Dyas CHF, Aidan Forker in wing half forward and Tony Kernan on in place of McParland at corner forward. The starting XV could include any 15 out of about 22 players and nobody would be surprised.

illdecide

Quote from: mackers on May 18, 2015, 02:03:55 PM
That wouldn't be too far off my team Benny.  I'd swap A Forker for McKenna (who would be unlucky to miss out).  There's a few fitness concerns on your team in Mickey Murray and Stefan Campbell.  Murnin wouldn't be too far off but again he has fitness problems and I'd worry he'd be too green to be in a FF line with those McGee boys horsing about.
I agree wholeheartedly with your suggestion of keeping Finn Mo as far away from the pitch as possible but I think Geezer will play him.

I was under the impression Finn Mo was suspended for this game? Having said all that he has done a good job on McFadden before but his inability to tackle makes him a liability...

A Forker will play...no doubt about that...

Keeper
Mallon
Vernon
Murray
McKeever
Morgan
shields
Findon
Rafferty
T Kernan
Dyas
A Forker
Clarke
Murnin
Campbell

Campbell, T Kernan, A Forker, Dyas all around the middle sector doing the donkey work. The defence will prob be what ive picked but not in that particular position, they will all have a certain person to pick up and a role to play...I really fear for us around the middle though as we were cleaned out there in Croke Pk last year, we need to kick the ball in the opposite direction of Gallagher

illdecide

Well we now know Finn Mo is suspended so a lot of you will be relieved. Paddy Power in hearing this news has shortened Armagh's odds...lol. I now want to say that I don't believe Campbell will line out against Donegal so we may well see a place for either McKenna, C Rafferty, or McParland. If he's fit C Rafferty will prob get the nod for his work rate...

mackers

Quote from: illdecide on May 20, 2015, 08:44:27 AM
Well we now know Finn Mo is suspended so a lot of you will be relieved. Paddy Power in hearing this news has shortened Armagh's odds...lol. I now want to say that I don't believe Campbell will line out against Donegal so we may well see a place for either McKenna, C Rafferty, or McParland. If he's fit C Rafferty will prob get the nod for his work rate...
You've made my day! Must be due to an accumulation of cards earlier in the year on top of the sending off in the league final??  Not surprising.  Caolan Rafferty, if fit, has to be an automatic starter, he's just the type of strong fast player needed against the Donegal defence.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Whitnail

Armagh are a no nonsense team with a serious(ly grumpy) manager.

Brolly can say what he wants about Donegal seemingly always being in control despite adversity (or often all evidence to the contrary) and that everything is part of the bigger plan etc etc but tbf hardly any of this garb is actually  true at all . Eg the tyrone "3 point trashing". The truth is we could have easily lost to tryrone if the ball had of bounced  differently on a few occasions   and we really should have lost to Armagh last year .

He's still. kinda perpuating that myth and I can't help feel it's actually gonna  catch him out badly one of these days .

Anyway there's no doubt we're a stubborn dogged team but we will do well to get out of there with a win.
No doubt in my head Armagh & their home crowd are looking forward to this match more than us and it depends on whether we can catch them slightly cold & get out of the traps faster.

Conallach

Really, really looking forward to this.

It'll be my first trip to what seems like an excellent new ground, to see the lads play a county that I would have spent half my teens cursing!

Plenty of decent footballers in that Armagh team, and they've an excellent support when they get the wagon rolling. It'd be great to see them burst through, but hopefully through the qualifiers  :P

armaghniac

Quote from: Conallach on May 21, 2015, 10:34:37 PM
Really, really looking forward to this.

It'll be my first trip to what seems like an excellent new ground, to see the lads play a county that I would have spent half my teens cursing!

Hopefully you'll curse some more and not enjoy your trip too much, not unlike Donegal's last championship visit to an Armagh venue.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B