Career v Job

Started by illdecide, September 16, 2014, 09:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Okay so you have a job that's close to home and it allows you to drop the kids off to school in the mornings and still be in work for 9, it pays okay but is damn hard work but I like it like that as the day flies in. The job is nothing you'd blow about to a chick if you were chatting her up at the Bar but a steady job is not easily gotten these days. Now an opportunity may have appeared for me to get back to the work I used to do (proper career) but its not much more than I'm currently getting but I will have to travel to the city for it as well as the additional cost of the travelling, I'll also be unavailable to bring my two kids to school in the mornings which my wife has not got a licence to drive.

What would you do in my situation if I was offered the new post?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

orangeman

Tony Baloney

Milltown Row2

What possibilities or opportunities can it open for you? Thinking long term is the key.

I'm just like yourself in that regard and have handed my notice in, I've been teaching 14 years in various training colleges and just in March moved to a very good nationwide training provider with plenty of scope, but a friend of mine in the medical sales area offered me a post and I've taken in, I've no sales background at all but he's every confidence. I've six months training in England so like you all that comfortable stuff of getting the kids to school, collecting them and general stuff will be gone.

I've taken a leap of faith and going for it, I'm looking at the possibilities that it can have and while it will be tough I'm up for a new challenge.

I think if its something that you have done (career wise) you should go for it and see where it goes. And get her to learn how to drive!!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Agent Orange

Move to the city, tell all the chicks you are chatting up at the bar about your great new career, the wife will eventually learn to drive, but by them someone else will have moved in and your kids will be refering to him as uncle.

oakleafgael

Quote from: illdecide on September 16, 2014, 09:03:05 PM
Okay so you have a job that's close to home and it allows you to drop the kids off to school in the mornings and still be in work for 9, it pays okay but is damn hard work but I like it like that as the day flies in. The job is nothing you'd blow about to a chick if you were chatting her up at the Bar but a steady job is not easily gotten these days. Now an opportunity may have appeared for me to get back to the work I used to do (proper career) but its not much more than I'm currently getting but I will have to travel to the city for it as well as the additional cost of the travelling, I'll also be unavailable to bring my two kids to school in the mornings which my wife has not got a licence to drive.

Stay put. I have the opposite situation to yourself and would break your arm to swap. Constant rushing match to try and get home in the evenings to help with the kids or even just to see them before bed.

bennydorano

I'd be a Comfortable Rut man myself.

The Iceman

Quote from: illdecide on September 16, 2014, 09:03:05 PM

What's your ultimate goal and does this help you get there? Will pursuing your own career help your family in the long run or just make you happier? Is that happiness worth more than the time with your kids?

I would stay where I was and make the most of what I have and enjoy the time with the family as it doesn't last long and before you know it they're away doing their own thing. There will be other jobs and other times - right now focus on your family.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Throw ball

Think I would stay put too. Work is to help you live. What is life without family? Whatever you decide I hope it works out for you.

TabClear

I think I would be staying put. Don't underestimate the value of work life balance. I worked in a job when I was in my late twenties where the money was great but had no life for weeks at a time.That old cliche 'are you working to live or living to work?' might be worth thinking about.

mikehunt

My manager of the last year has been encouraging me to go for promotion but it would mean longer hours for not too much in exchange. Money is poor enough but is enough to keep me going. I keep saying my priorities are outside work. Mrs says my attitude stinks but my employment career is of no interest. However if you're ambitious then that's a diff story.

illdecide

I forgot to add the guy I work for is a miserable hoor and appreciates no one. I'm not even allowed to take a call on my mobile or get out for a message (school play etc). I have to take my holidays when he decides or when he takes his and I don't think I've had a 30 min lunch uninterrupted since I started there.

The other post is in Belfast and I'd be home for 6 every evening, the only difference is I just wouldn't be available to bring the kids to school in the mornings. They're 9 and 6.

muppet

Quote from: illdecide on September 16, 2014, 10:34:11 PM
I forgot to add the guy I work for is a miserable hoor and appreciates no one. I'm not even allowed to take a call on my mobile or get out for a message (school play etc). I have to take my holidays when he decides or when he takes his and I don't think I've had a 30 min lunch uninterrupted since I started there.

The other post is in Belfast and I'd be home for 6 every evening, the only difference is I just wouldn't be available to bring the kids to school in the mornings. They're 9 and 6.

I presume the kids will be able to make their own way to school soon, or is it too far? When they are teenagers they might pretend not to even know you. Morning time isn't exactly quality time, unless the journey is very awkward for them.
MWWSI 2017

ONeill

Whatever maximises your happiness.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

illdecide

I live a half a mile from the school...forgot to mention that.