Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersub

Lots of reason for the scheduling. Footballing and non footballing. As hard as it may be to fathom for some. The 'top brass' aren't out to get us or put us down.

ardtole

Quote from: supersub on July 06, 2023, 06:14:48 PM
Lots of reason for the scheduling. Footballing and non footballing. As hard as it may be to fathom for some. The 'top brass' aren't out to get us or put us down.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that  the top brass are out to get us. But they have made a foolish error in their scheduling of this fixture.

The kerry v Derry game will be shown all over the world with barely 30,000 at it, if even that. Games in an empty Croke Park lack atmosphere and for an all ireland semi final that is not what you want to be showcasing.

Meath and Down would have brought a sizeable crowd to Croke Park for their final game of the season, both counties are reasonably close to Dublin, particularly
Meath and would have added considerably to the crowd for Derry and Kerry. I'd imagine the majority would have stayed on for the second game, if only to see Clifford up close, particularly if you had kids with you because he is the most box office player in Gaelic games at present.

Anyway the most important thing is we get the win, and qualify for the Sam Maguire round robin series next season. We were very impressive v Laois and Cavan, and the fact Meath beat Down already this year should avoid any complacency setting in after such a landslide victory.

supersub

Quote from: ardtole on July 06, 2023, 07:19:11 PM
Quote from: supersub on July 06, 2023, 06:14:48 PM

I don't think anyone is suggesting that  the top brass are out to get us. But they have made a foolish error in their scheduling of this fixture.

The kerry v Derry game will be shown all over the world with barely 30,000 at it, if even that. Games in an empty Croke Park lack atmosphere and for an all ireland semi final that is not what you want to be showcasing.

Meath and Down would have brought a sizeable crowd to Croke Park for their final game of the season, both counties are reasonably close to Dublin, particularly
Meath and would have added considerably to the crowd for Derry and Kerry. I'd imagine the majority would have stayed on for the second game, if only to see Clifford up close, particularly if you had kids with you because he is the most box office player in Gaelic games at present.

Anyway the most important thing is we get the win, and qualify for the Sam Maguire round robin series next season. We were very impressive v Laois and Cavan, and the fact Meath beat Down already this year should avoid any complacency setting in after such a landslide victory.

You are completely missing my point. There are other things to take into consideration when fixing games with such expected crowds. Non football or sport related things. Perhaps they were forced into this scheduling scenario. There's more to life (and Dublin) than the gaa!

ardtole

If there was an international rugby game on at the Aviva on Sunday, or a major event at the 3 arena on Sunday I'd agree, but Dublin is likelier to be more busy when the Dubs are playing on  Saturday evening than if they were playing on Sunday afternoon.

sdg

Quote from: downtothecore on July 06, 2023, 06:06:07 PM
But 80% of the crowd have the tickets that a lot of us want and cant get for the TC
I Every one who asked for a ticket through the clubs got one.

snoopdog

How many have final tickets and haven't been to a game all year. I wonder did they get an allocation or were they just sent a link like I was the day before.

Truth hurts

The few people who are upset about not being able to purchase a family ticket haven't seen a game all year.

People love to complain, and if the game had been on a Sunday, the moaners would have wanted it to be on with Dublin for the terrific atmosphere the players would receive.

naka

Quote from: Truth hurts on July 07, 2023, 10:12:40 AM
The few people who are upset about not being able to purchase a family ticket haven't seen a game all year.

People love to complain, and if the game had been on a Sunday, the moaners would have wanted it to be on with Dublin for the terrific atmosphere the players would receive.

agree with this
most down fans who are passionate about the team have tickets
a s an armagh man am friends with a fair  few who go to the league games and asked did they need any as i was content to pass mine to  genuine people  , everyone sorted.
indeed  some queued at supervalu in newry to get their tickets,. 

ardtole

I've been to Thurles twice this year, Breffini Park, Croke Park, Newry a few times, Clones and Tullamore and as of yet I've no ticket.

I'm living in the south so in a lot of cases it's easier to get to the away fixtures. I'm still confident enough il pick a ticket up somewhere, but I was hoping to take my son with me but that I'd imagine is unlikely now.

I usually get my tickets through Supervalu, I'm not involved directly with my home club, bar buying the monthly draw ticket. I was working Tuesday when the tickets went on sale initially and didn't get the time to go online.

Hopefully we get a win next weekend anyway and il not be as complacent next year when we get to Croke Park.

Truth hurts

Quote from: ardtole on July 07, 2023, 03:08:28 PM
I've been to Thurles twice this year, Breffini Park, Croke Park, Newry a few times, Clones and Tullamore and as of yet I've no ticket.

I'm living in the south so in a lot of cases it's easier to get to the away fixtures. I'm still confident enough il pick a ticket up somewhere, but I was hoping to take my son with me but that I'd imagine is unlikely now.

I usually get my tickets through Supervalu, I'm not involved directly with my home club, bar buying the monthly draw ticket. I was working Tuesday when the tickets went on sale initially and didn't get the time to go online.

Hopefully we get a win next weekend anyway and il not be as complacent next year when we get to Croke Park.

Have you tried the county office? I'm sure Sean Og or one of the admin staff would do their best to help you if you explained your position.

SHEEDY

i know a couple of people in same situation, they're hoping more tickets come available on Ticketmaster.
There's also a good few i know got tickets who haven't been all year and could hardly name 5 of the players ffs
nil satis nisi optimum

Mourne Red

ardtole

Quote from: SHEEDY on July 07, 2023, 04:29:01 PM

i know a couple of people in same situation, they're hoping more tickets come available on Ticketmaster.
There's also a good few i know got tickets who haven't been all year and could hardly name 5 of the players ffs

Got sorted.

snoopdog

Quote from: ardtole on July 08, 2023, 05:32:34 PM
Quote from: SHEEDY on July 07, 2023, 04:29:01 PM

Got sorted.
Good to hear.

updownup

Down Hurling Intermediate and Junior Championships have a six-week break from the last league match, then a single game and another five-week break before the last two games of a round-robin. The top two teams go to a final, what is the purpose of having these championships so spaced out when they could be finished by the end of summer?