Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlieTully

Quote from: Taylor on November 19, 2021, 04:01:42 PM
I understand the issue you guys have now is that the McGuinness ticket was as good as done - few things to be ironed out but it would have been good to go.

Jim pulled the plug on it because it was leaked before any announcement was made.

Given Jim's penchant for everything staying in house, once the leak was made, he decided Down was not for him.

Means yous are having to look at a plan B now.

Problem is there is no plan B

Smurfy123

So let me get this right

The Down players are training themselves in small groups?

What if quite a few of them who let's be Frank have been poor in recent years don't make the panel

A new low for Down

Players taking training sessions

Godsown

Quote from: Smurfy123 on November 19, 2021, 06:05:22 PM
So let me get this right

The Down players are training themselves in small groups?

What if quite a few of them who let's be Frank have been poor in recent years don't make the panel

A new low for Down

Players taking training sessions

Says the Guy from the most decorated club in Down who were going to waltz through this years championship .  Think it's best for you to pipe down a bit and help get your own house in order or better still put your name forward to help out at county level

Hard2Listen2

So what would the criteria for next county boss be?

Successful club record?
Big name from playing days?
Success with underage county teams?
Success at senior county level?

Johnnysboys

Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on November 20, 2021, 10:17:26 AM
So what would the criteria for next county boss be?

Successful club record?
Big name from playing days?
Success with underage county teams?
Success at senior county level?

A pulse??
Don't mind keeping a seat warm for Laverty??
No need for any expenses??

Dubh driocht

It's a bit of a worry alright to be managerless at this stage but things will work out.
One thought  I have is that Jim McGuinness hasn't covered himself in too much glory from this affair.
Like most people on this board I was absolutely amazed that the group charged with appointing the manager managed to keep it under wraps for so long. Both they and the McGuinness Laverty Clarke ticket successfully kept Schtum right up until the County final weekend when everyone I spoke to had heard the names in the frames. When the Irish News ran the story a few days later we were all upbeat so if it's true that McGuinness walked because the story was out, he confirmed that he really is unbelievably thin skinned.Kevin Cassidy had a point.
So while he was a successful coach he's a prickly character and if he can't handle this issue God knows what he would have been like if he had  a real crisis to deal with.

SamFever

Quote from: Dubh driocht on November 20, 2021, 05:22:15 PM
It's a bit of a worry alright to be managerless at this stage but things will work out.
One thought  I have is that Jim McGuinness hasn't covered himself in too much glory from this affair.
Like most people on this board I was absolutely amazed that the group charged with appointing the manager managed to keep it under wraps for so long. Both they and the McGuinness Laverty Clarke ticket successfully kept Schtum right up until the County final weekend when everyone I spoke to had heard the names in the frames. When the Irish News ran the story a few days later we were all upbeat so if it's true that McGuinness walked because the story was out, he confirmed that he really is unbelievably thin skinned.Kevin Cassidy had a point.
So while he was a successful coach he's a prickly character and if he can't handle this issue God knows what he would have been like if he had  a real crisis to deal with.
And what point are you making?

charlieTully

Was in docs there. Neil Lennon was sat in the corner whispering with some prominent east down big wigs. Keep it under wraps for now. The chicken stack was class BTW.

Caitlin

Quote from: SamFever on November 20, 2021, 06:06:27 PM
Quote from: Dubh driocht on November 20, 2021, 05:22:15 PM
And what point are you making?
I presume he is making the point that posters are having a go at the selection panel, the county board and club delegates but McGuinness has questions to answer. He has admitted talking to counties so was a gun for hire yet ran away just because people knew about it.
As a result we don't have a manager weeks before the season starts again.

ScarvaLegend

There is some dung spouted on here, let's wait until we see what the recruitment committee has put together before casting judgement.
Onion rings are class.

The_big_bad_wolf

If the rumors are correct that Gavin Devlin from Tyrone was interested in the Down job it amazes me how he didn't even get a interview.  It says a lot of our county board leadership and the selection committee which was formed.  It's 7 weeks to the National league and we have no one to lead us into our next year.  No management, no panel and no training program commenced.  It's time we got rid of these county board beaurocrats who are  steering our proud county in the wrong direction.

Hard2Listen2

You'll be putting yourself forward as county board rep at your club's AGM then?

Smurfy123

I would be amazed if Down didn't announced a manager this week

Truth hurts

Less than 6 weeks left to the end of the year, most club teams apart from Kilco who are tied up in Ulster will have met or plan to meet soon to organize winter conditioning training. I really am getting scared for our national league next year.

johnnycool

Quote from: Taylor on November 19, 2021, 04:01:42 PM
I understand the issue you guys have now is that the McGuinness ticket was as good as done - few things to be ironed out but it would have been good to go.

Jim pulled the plug on it because it was leaked before any announcement was made.

Given Jim's penchant for everything staying in house, once the leak was made, he decided Down was not for him.

Means yous are having to look at a plan B now.

This is exactly it from a not so high ranking CB official..

McGuinness was more or less over the line till someone spilled the beans, Jim then decides he can't trust the setup and then distances himself from the role.

There is no plan B, it's back to the start