Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

upandwin

Let's face it, no other team in this county has the balls to beat Kilcoo when it matters. Fair play to the Magpies yesterday, always just do enough. If they needed another score or another gear even they'd have found it. Doesn't matter how good or bad a team is against them, they'll always win by 1/2 and sail on. Hope they give Ulster a good run, Think they'll find Ulster a much more difficult proposition this year to navigate though. Cross (More than likely), Watty Gs and a couple others are stronger than the teams they faced last year. If D Brannigan is out, they've no chance IMO but hopefully he's not too bad.

Johnnysboys

Quote from: upandwin on November 08, 2021, 03:32:47 PM
Let's face it, no other team in this county has the balls to beat Kilcoo when it matters. Fair play to the Magpies yesterday, always just do enough. If they needed another score or another gear even they'd have found it. Doesn't matter how good or bad a team is against them, they'll always win by 1/2 and sail on. Hope they give Ulster a good run, Think they'll find Ulster a much more difficult proposition this year to navigate though. Cross (More than likely), Watty Gs and a couple others are stronger than the teams they faced last year. If D Brannigan is out, they've no chance IMO but hopefully he's not too bad.

This s a rare statement... you just need to outplay them to beat them.. that's the difficult part - no team can do that.. I don't think any team backs down from them or pulls outta going for balls during games etc..
knew Rice would do them a few favours - and he did.

Smurfy123

I take all back regarding the selection process for the Down managers job

Jimmy is winning matches

The biggest and most exciting choice we have had in a very long time

He will shake things up in Down

SamFever

Quote from: Smurfy123 on November 08, 2021, 08:17:53 AM
McCorry didn't bring anything to the Burren table this year
In the biggest of big games it was the same old from Burren
Why not try something different
Is that not why these big managers are brought in

Expect Jim McG and Stephen Poacher to be named doll as the Down management as soon as tomorrow if word is right. Fully founded by our sponsors
...fully founded🤪

Mourne Red

Maybe we just aren't fielding next year? Could be the reason why we've no manager announced

terrifictommy

I just cannot see McGuinness coming to take Down. As much as I think he'd be successful I just don't see him coming. Journey time every session - 3 hours or more each way?

Well done to Kilcoo, whatever style is needed they have it and that's not me being negative. Winners adapt to their surroundings and I don't think any team in Down would beat them, even in 'their day'. Hope they had a good night but now focus on Ulster. Some very good teams in there, hopefully get a bit of airtime on TV3.

Targetman

TV3 not known for their coverage of Gaelic games but should see them on TG4, don't you think the changing rooms should have been open yesterday, anyway congrats to Kilcoo, probably just about deserving winners in what was a poor enough final, as for the Mc Guinness rumours, they're gathering pace but would be very surprised if it happens, must tx Dan Strain!!

SHEEDY

Benny Coulter in with Rostrevor for next year.
nil satis nisi optimum

upandwin

Rice had nothing to do with the outcome of that final. Burren ones can't accept that Kilcoo are too good for everyone else...get over it. Kerr and Foy massive misses but so was dabs and a Dylan Ward and PD not played most of the year, we all have our excuses.

Smurfy123

McGuinness would bring that much needed lift that the county needs
He would also get all the best players in Down playing
He would demand total commitment from the players
What an appointment if true
It's certainly gathering pace which seems to be coming from the big money man in Darragh Cross

Truth hurts

Quote from: terrifictommy on November 08, 2021, 08:14:41 PM
I just cannot see McGuinness coming to take Down. As much as I think he'd be successful I just don't see him coming. Journey time every session - 3 hours or more each way?

Well done to Kilcoo, whatever style is needed they have it and that's not me being negative. Winners adapt to their surroundings and I don't think any team in Down would beat them, even in 'their day'. Hope they had a good night but now focus on Ulster. Some very good teams in there, hopefully get a bit of airtime on TV3.

Are you drunk? The great Burren team would take them by a point or two, in saying that Shorty and Tommy McGovern must be near 60.

snoopdog

Quote from: Smurfy123 on November 09, 2021, 07:09:56 AM
McGuinness would bring that much needed lift that the county needs
He would also get all the best players in Down playing
He would demand total commitment from the players
What an appointment if true
It's certainly gathering pace which seems to be coming from the big money man in Darragh Cross
Gathering pace?? It's only you saying it . It would be some shock if Jim mcguinness took the Down job. A miracle even.

Truth hurts

I was speaking with a prominent East Down board official just now and he informed me that there is no county meeting arranged this week. But relax lads we have plenty of time. We will havesomeone in place by Christmas. We are the laughing stock of Ireland. Armagh is away on training weekends already. Light year behind, we need a root and branch clear our at the county convention and we need new blood in to shake the thing up. The status quo is not working.

6th sam

Quote from: Truth hurts on November 09, 2021, 10:50:16 AM
I was speaking with a prominent East Down board official just now and he informed me that there is no county meeting arranged this week. But relax lads we have plenty of time. We will havesomeone in place by Christmas. We are the laughing stock of Ireland. Armagh is away on training weekends already. Light year behind, we need a root and branch clear our at the county convention and we need new blood in to shake the thing up. The status quo is not working.

To bring a bit of reality to the debate, TH I haven't heard anyone saying recently that We are a laughing stock . We are div 2 in football and hurling , we are ulster u20f champions, our county champions were in AI final last year. We have had a brilliant championship , and a high powered team put in place for Ballykinlar . Yes we have had challenging times in recent years , but there are several positives and reasons to be confident about our future.

5times5times

Quote from: SamFever on November 08, 2021, 10:05:37 PM
Quote from: Targetman on November 08, 2021, 08:54:25 PM
TV3 not known for their coverage of Gaelic games but should see them on TG4, don't you think the changing rooms should have been open yesterday, anyway congrats to Kilcoo, probably just about deserving winners in what was a poor enough final, as for the Mc Guinness rumours, they're gathering pace but would be very surprised if it happens, must tx Dan Strain!!
It'll not be Dan who'll be "founded" it.

Plus their sponsorship is up at year end.