Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caitlin

Big day for Clonduff and Dinky McBride today. Clealry all not well in the Kilcoo camp and if the Yellas are going to make a statement, today is the day to do it.
I think CPN may not have it as easy against the Ford as people expect and Bredagh may also be a dark horse against Ballyholland.
RGU are motoring well although Collins will be a massive loss the next day.
Enjoyed the tv coverage of Bridge v Island yesterday- Cory Quinn is some footballer. Loughinisland should stay in the SFC and I think between Rostrevor and saul who go to IFC.
Darragh Cross looking good in the IFC and St Pauls to bounce back against Bright

Lotto

Kilcoo seriously efficient again today. There for the taking and Clonduff will rue the easy chances they missed throughout the game, they have only themselves to blame. Kilcoo now have a week off to sort out any niggles with Clonduff being bruised and back out next week. Ballyholland down by 3 at half time, should be an interesting second half. Decent production today but no harm to Mc Grath but he is hard to listen to. I hope Patsy is doing the game later on.

Down Follower

I actually think McGrath is the best one of the group. He's not monotone like quite a few. Portrays the excitement well.

SuperRed

Rostrevor desperately unlucky to be facing SFC playoffs given the problems they've had and their second half performance last night. Lads pulling on the jersey deserve credit... Castlewellan very fortunate at the end. Don't think anyone really knows if it was a goal. Saul or Bryansford probably most likely to end up at IFC level next season, but its all on the day - I would say Saul. They have just found the going tough, but their draw was very difficult compared to what they might have got in fairness... Loughinisland seem to be getting somewhere closer to what we expect from them and Rostrevor have had a recent run of wins against Ford and have the players to outgun Bryansford in a scoring match. Kilcoo just seem to find those scores and extra bits and pieces over an hour of play. Clonduff played quite well but yet found themselves beaten with a little to spare. Downpatrick getting a bit of momentum. Will be interesting to see how they get on if /when they hit the knockout...

Truth hurts

Kilcoo does what Kilcoo does, grind out a victory.  Clonduff like the Bridge before them had plenty of chances but did not capitalise. I havent seen anyone yet who will touch them. Ballyholland were lucky yesterday v a well-organised Bredagh team. Castlewellan seem to love the last minute goals and Mayobridge get over the line v a plucky Loughinisland team. Warrenpoint upped the ante and i think their is a kick in them. There is some interesting games coming up in the forthcoming weeks but I still think Kilcoo are the team to beat.

Truth hurts

Can clubs do something about their members abusing the county board social media page? These people are volunteers who give up their time to post scores. We have never had better access to scores and games ever.

general

Quote from: Truth hurts on September 27, 2021, 10:52:07 AM
Can clubs do something about their members abusing the county board social media page? These people are volunteers who give up their time to post scores. We have never had better access to scores and games ever.

I would second this - all voluntarily done. Credit given where credit due, nobody is perfect

ScarvaLegend

I had a quick scroll through Twitter and Facebook and can't see any negative comments but that is likely because they have since been deleted. But I know what you are talking about, and some comments have been very disappointing.

In regards to Championship coverage, I believe the County Board is going above and beyond to provide a good level of coverage for every game. Keep in mind that you can't expect someone from the CB at every game all weekend. Also, they shouldn't have to provide every score from every game, imagine the mess that would make if there were 5 or 6 games going on at once!

With that being said, the clubs themselves could be doing more to engage with their members/supporters. Some clubs give a fantastic commentary of the game, in particular Castlewellan have an excellent feed. A lot of other clubs do a score by score and allows you to easily follow the game. Other clubs don't post for months on end and it causes something of a media blackout for some Championship games when two of these teams play each other. I think that can be particularly frustrating as a lot of the time the person controlling the twitter account is probably standing at the game, how hard is it to whip out the phone at a water break and half time and send a quick tweet.

So for me, any frustration aimed at the County Board is entirely misplaced and I'll say the Board have been doing a fantastic job over the last two weekends.

upandwin

Agree with the above...and I know the comment that we're alluding to. I don't necessarily think the person updating the scores is the same person who deciding to charge underage people in to the games. I don't agree that U16s should be charged BUT no one is being forced to go to a game with five or six kids. There is a streaming service for most games and that will cost £5 for a household, which I think is fairly reasonable.

The same people complaining about not being able to afford £20 to see the club that means so much to them, are the same men and women paying £120 a month for Sky sports without blinking an eye. Also I think £5 a head is more than fair for adults going to games. I have been to a couple of Irish league games North and South and the charge is normally around £15-20 p/person. It really seems like people are going out of their way to be offended by this. These are generally the same people that complain about the lack of resources and funds for our county teams.

thebar

Quote from: ScarvaLegend on September 27, 2021, 11:13:38 AM
I had a quick scroll through Twitter and Facebook and can't see any negative comments but that is likely because they have since been deleted. But I know what you are talking about, and some comments have been very disappointing.

In regards to Championship coverage, I believe the County Board is going above and beyond to provide a good level of coverage for every game. Keep in mind that you can't expect someone from the CB at every game all weekend. Also, they shouldn't have to provide every score from every game, imagine the mess that would make if there were 5 or 6 games going on at once!

With that being said, the clubs themselves could be doing more to engage with their members/supporters. Some clubs give a fantastic commentary of the game, in particular Castlewellan have an excellent feed. A lot of other clubs do a score by score and allows you to easily follow the game. Other clubs don't post for months on end and it causes something of a media blackout for some Championship games when two of these teams play each other. I think that can be particularly frustrating as a lot of the time the person controlling the twitter account is probably standing at the game, how hard is it to whip out the phone at a water break and half time and send a quick tweet.

So for me, any frustration aimed at the County Board is entirely misplaced and I'll say the Board have been doing a fantastic job over the last two weekends.

Good job but get house in order with regards live streams of matches outside of Newry - don't advertise and take money for something you can't offer.

Truth hurts

Will Burren and Glenn be worth going to? Glenn looked good last week

upandwin

Can't see this one being close tonight. Glenn will hang in tight for 20mins but be a couple behind at HT. Burren will run riot second half, they've pace and power everywhere. Burren to win by 8 pulling up.

I agree Glenn looked decent last week but after the shambles of a display from the Ford against a poor enough W'point side, maybe that Glenn result wasn't as good as we cracked it up to be.

Smurfy123

That was another shocking performance from us last night
Bryansford missed a guilt edge goal chance and a penalty before we even looked like playing
Long aimless ball kicked into the forward line
It's plain as day every other team in Down didn't give a damn about the league
We need a big improvement to overcome Clonduff

Truth hurts

Burren into the quarters without breaking a sweat, it's hard to know if that will benefit them in the long run, they certainly have some dangerous forwards but the jury is still out on whether they can take the magpies.
The clash of the clash so far will take place on Sunday even between the 2020 and 2021 league winners, it has the potential to be a cracker but i think the injury to McGarry could sway it for the yellows but this could go to the extra time, it's one I am really looking forward to. The championship begins this weekend!
DJ will be up against his own club and I expect a response from Darragh Cross who were average on Sunday.

whitegoodman

Burren were poor last night.  Sloppy was probably the right word to describe them.  If they got one of Clonduff, Warrenpoint or Mayobridge in the QF they could be caught cold give the lack of opposition they have faced to date.

Kilcoo still the team.