FRC proposals...black cards, marks etc

Started by yellowcard, March 19, 2013, 07:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Can't see a seperate thread for this but does anyone think that these proposals might actually carry through. In recent weeks there have been countless examples highlighted of niggly tactical fouling which has become a blight on the game. In todays Irish News Paddy Heaney stated that of the Ulster counties Tyrone, Down, Antrim and Fermanagh (i think?) have all indicated that they intend to vote against the proposals. Does this mean that the remaining counties are in favour of the new proposals? Does the 2/3rds majority rule apply to get them through?

Apparently the 3 issues are:
1) The introduction of black cards
2) Introduction of the mark
3) Introduction of a 30m penalty (ball brought forward)  for dissent

For potential rule changes that could drastically alter the landscape of gaelic football, there has been surprisingly very little debate in the media about these issues in the last week.

Presumably the issues are to be voted for seperately and not as part of a package?

Would definitely be in favour of the black cards and the dissent rules, not too sure about the mark, would like to see how it would work first.

Another rule which should have been a no brainer is the issue of time keeping. It needs to operated on a hooter system much like in ladies football. I watched the AI club final on Sunday and the McRory cup final on Monday and how they gave 1 and 2 minutes injury time respectively in these 2 games was mystifying.

Rossfan

Surely this whole matter should be dealt with at a Special Congress not just lumped into the middle of the regular Congress along with everything else.
Seeing that Micky Harte is against any attempt to stop cynical fouling I'm edging towards acceptance of the black card idea but it ahould be strengthened by
Every Black card offence = free from 13 metre line except in last 10 minutes.
Last 10 = A Penalty.
Of course most of Ulster is against any new proposals  ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Itchy

Having seen fermanagh in action  last Saturday I doubt they would have any players left if these rules were brought in.

ONeill

The 30m seems a bit extreme but it'd soon cut out the backchat.

Rois

Similar to Rossfan's idea, in basketball there are "team fouls" and when a team amasses a certain amount, every additional foul carries a two free throw penalty.  That type of idea, while technically would take a bit of working out, means that the team is collectively responsible for not fouling no matter who or where it is on the field, as it would give away a 30m free. 

Ard-Rí

No, no, no.

There's very little wrong with Gaelic Football, except obviously the whinging whining hoors that are allowed to commentate on it in the public sphere. They don't do this kind of shite with Hurling, and rightly so. The best policy would be to leave Football alone, at least until we're sure a change would benefit the game. That cannot be said of these proposed changes. Black cards are obviously useless for a range of reasons (I think we've discussed this before). The mark rewards a skill but at the expense of several other. Why, for example, should a back not be given a free for a block? It's as least as difficult a skill as the high catch. And finally, 30m is obviously ridiculous when you just consider the varying lengths of Gaelic Football pitches around the country ... it could easily have a greater negative impact on some teams than others. I get the strong feeling that these changes are proposed by people with an extremely limited grasp of how football is played.

As for "cynical fouls", couldn't you just award the score where there was a significant chance of it being taken prior to the foul?
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

macdanger2

If we enforce the rules we have, that would be a start. "Cynical" fouls can be dealt with under the existing rules if we want - Cadogan hauled down Murphy with a rugby tackle in the last minute of their game at the weekend when he was odds on for a goal and only got a yellow, should have been straight red and a ban imo

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Ard-Rí on March 19, 2013, 10:09:45 PM
No, no, no.

There's very little wrong with Gaelic Football, except obviously the whinging whining hoors that are allowed to commentate on it in the public sphere. They don't do this kind of shite with Hurling, and rightly so. The best policy would be to leave Football alone, at least until we're sure a change would benefit the game. That cannot be said of these proposed changes. Black cards are obviously useless for a range of reasons (I think we've discussed this before). The mark rewards a skill but at the expense of several other. Why, for example, should a back not be given a free for a block? It's as least as difficult a skill as the high catch. And finally, 30m is obviously ridiculous when you just consider the varying lengths of Gaelic Football pitches around the country ... it could easily have a greater negative impact on some teams than others. I get the strong feeling that these changes are proposed by people with an extremely limited grasp of how football is played.

As for "cynical fouls", couldn't you just award the score where there was a significant chance of it being taken prior to the foul?
Say what? 30m is 30m. Don't slabber at the ref and no team has anything to fear.

Jinxy

As cynical as Tyrone are, the lowest tackle of the weekend was Eoin Cadogan on Michael Murphy.
Ridiculous stuff.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

yellowcard

If nothing is passed we will get more of the same which is more pulling, dragging, tactical fouling particularly in latter stages of games where the team that is ahead can benefit by fouling and having the referee stop play to issue yellow cards etc. To be honest Mickey Harte amongst others are looking after their own self interest and you can't really blame him. However purely for the game as a spectacle the free kick count has to be brought down closer to a hurling match. The discrepancy between the 2 codes in terms of free kicks per match is much too big. I don't know if black cards are the solution but it has to be better than what we are currently watching.

yellowcard

Quote from: Jinxy on March 19, 2013, 10:39:29 PM
As cynical as Tyrone are, the lowest tackle of the weekend was Eoin Cadogan on Michael Murphy.
Ridiculous stuff.

Have no great love for Tyrone but I don't think they are any more or less cynical than a lot of counties. The perception is that they are the pioneers of this tactic because their manager has publicly lambasted anyone who questions the idea of rule change. I think by doing this he will probably do his side no favours in the longer term.

ONeill

Stronger refs.

On a basic level there are two types of fouls - the honest clumsy foul (Bellew) and then there's the intentional (Ger Brennan).

A yellow for the first intentional foul would soon cut out the crap, even if it's from the throw-in. You rarely see yellows in the first 10 minutes.

Itchy

Quote from: ONeill on March 19, 2013, 10:49:47 PM
Stronger refs.

On a basic level there are two types of fouls - the honest clumsy foul (Bellew) and then there's the intentional (Ger Brennan).

A yellow for the first intentional foul would soon cut out the crap, even if it's from the throw-in. You rarely see yellows in the first 10 minutes.

Must introduce you to Michael Duffy sometime!

TY14ED

Mickey Harte may not be backing the new rules, but I don't think Tyrone will suffer to any great extent if they do get a pass at Congress. They are very good at adapting to whatever is thrown at them. The mark, for example, is to encourage high fielding but I have no doubt that Tyrone players will be winning marks just outside the 45, out on the wing, with a catch in the stomach rather than soaring through the clouds at full stretch in the middle. Think they will quickly discipline themselves in relation to the dissent punishment of 30m- players will soon realise that they will be hauled off for this offence. Black cards could be a problem because of the reputation they now have has cynical wee men, which the likes if Brolly continues to promote & also because of the way they quickly surround a player in possession. Overall, I don't see why Harte should be that annoyed with these potential changes.