All Stars 2012

Started by yellowcard, August 08, 2012, 10:42:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Predicted All Stars at the minute. Obviously this will change depending on who gets to/wins AI final.

1. Cluxton
2. McGlynn
3. Cadogan
4. Higgins
5. Nolan
6. Lacey
7. Bolton
8. Walsh
9. McAuley
10. Kerrigan
11. McHugh
12. Dillon
13. McFadden
14. O'Connor
15. Brogan

Really struggled to pick a forward line and I think that says more about defensive systems and how inside forward lines are finding time and space to become prolific scorers. McHugh could just as easily be picked as a defender.

Canalman

Obviously alot of football to go and not a bad team for starters.

For me Higgins (Mo), Kerrigan and McHugh(Dl) are definites at this stage with alot of others to get one barring meltdowns in the AISF.

Think you are being cheeky in nominating Stephen as goalkeeper as he really has not had alot to do so far. Donegal keeper probably in with a better shot at the moment.

From a Dublin perspective only Paul Flynn and Kevin Nolan in the running so far imo with the AISF to decide their fate Allstarwise.

yellowcard

Quote from: Canalman on August 08, 2012, 11:04:39 AM

For me Higgins (Mo), Kerrigan and McHugh(Dl) are definites at this stage with alot of others to get one barring meltdowns in the AISF.

Think you are being cheeky in nominating Stephen as goalkeeper as he really has not had alot to do so far. Donegal keeper probably in with a better shot at the moment.

From a Dublin perspective only Paul Flynn and Kevin Nolan in the running so far imo with the AISF to decide their fate Allstarwise.

Yeah the Donegal keeper has been better in terms of saves made but for me whilst this is important its only about 20% importance in GAA goalkeepers. The kicking is the most important aspect and in this regard Cluxton has no peers.

Others like Brogan and O'Connor have been included as much for what they might produce in the semi and beyond as for what they have ACTUALLY produced to date. This combined with the lack of outstanding alternatives.

screenexile

Quote from: yellowcard on August 08, 2012, 11:14:28 AM

Yeah the Donegal keeper has been better in terms of saves made but for me whilst this is important its only about 20% importance in GAA goalkeepers. The kicking is the most important aspect and in this regard Cluxton has no peers.

Others like Brogan and O'Connor have been included as much for what they might produce in the semi and beyond as for what they have ACTUALLY produced to date. This combined with the lack of outstanding alternatives.

Have you watched Donegal at all this year? Durkan's kickout's have been exceptional so far short/long he's been kicking very well all year.

Put his saves along with that and how safe he is under a high ball and I think he is well ahead of Clucko at this stage.

Bingo

You for real? Sure name the full Dublin first 15 for what they might produce.   ;D

yellowcard

Quote from: screenexile on August 08, 2012, 11:22:07 AM

Have you watched Donegal at all this year? Durkan's kickout's have been exceptional so far short/long he's been kicking very well all year.

Put his saves along with that and how safe he is under a high ball and I think he is well ahead of Clucko at this stage.

Have seen every one of Donegals games and I wouldn't dispute that Durkan has been very good. Personally though I think Cluxton is different class, the way he puts his kickouts on a sixpence is unrivalled. Best GAA keeper I've ever seen.

chocoholic

Durkan for Donegal has been immense.

ross4life

Unless he has a woeful game v Cork Paul Durcan is nailed on for All-star. The back six will be the hardest to pick probably a mixture between the final four. Barry Moran should get one of the midfield spots in the forwards McFadden,Mark McHugh look certain while Alan Dillion is having his best year since 2004. Laois or Tipp may get one for their efforts.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

magpie seanie

Quote from: ross4life on August 08, 2012, 03:15:39 PM
Unless he has a woeful game v Cork Paul Durcan is nailed on for All-star. The back six will be the hardest to pick probably a mixture between the final four. Barry Moran should get one of the midfield spots in the forwards McFadden,Mark McHugh look certain while Alan Dillion is having his best year since 2004. Laois or Tipp may get one for their efforts.

How many points has he kicked? You know he is up against the greatest goalie in thehistory of gaelic games ever since the start of time?

laoislad

No I doubt Laois will get any.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

imtommygunn

Quote from: screenexile on August 08, 2012, 11:22:07 AM

His kicking wasn't great on sunday. I thought it was poor to be honest.

squire_in_navy_slacks

For a team that prides themselves on fitness levels etc, McGuinness should get Durcan to do a few laps, the ned kelly on him, looks like he just hoped of the bar stool

cadence

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on August 08, 2012, 06:01:42 PM
For a team that prides themselves on fitness levels etc, McGuinness should get Durcan to do a few laps, the ned kelly on him, looks like he just hoped of the bar stool

it's called being physically imposing doncha know.  ;)

+ hasn't appeared to affect his performance any. for a big man, 6 ft 5", he gets done so quickly and his reactions are first rate, the save v the dubs in league being a good example of this... excellent shot stopper and has made some really important saves for us.

can't think of another keeper who's made as important saves as him. 

donegal_abu

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 08, 2012, 04:52:02 PM

How many points has he kicked? You know he is up against the greatest goalie in thehistory of gaelic games ever since the start of time?

Maybe I'm way off the mark but isn't it up to forwards to mainly kick points ? The job of th goalie is to stop goals and do good kickouts. If dublin dont have enough free takers or 45 takers without calling up their goalkeeper, that isnt Paul Durcans fault.

Denn Forever

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on August 08, 2012, 06:01:42 PM

His look is deceptive but he has had some good games this year.  Not his fault but Cluxton has had much to do to stand out this year.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...