Stephen Cluxton

Started by Tommo2, September 18, 2011, 05:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

borderfox

Delighted for Cluxton. Delighted for Dublin.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Dinny Breen

Best I've ever witnessed, has redefined the role in GAA. Still another 5 years in him.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Best ever goalkeeper was Martin Furlong. He redefined the position. Redefined it as a euphemism for GBH :D

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 19, 2011, 02:09:26 PM
Best ever goalkeeper was Martin Furlong. He redefined the position. Redefined it as a euphemism for GBH :D

Cluxton must have been channeling Furlong when he met Jason McAteer

muppet

John Madden re-defined goalkeeper as the best position to see the big screen.
MWWSI 2017

ballinaman

Any truth in the rumour that he's in work teaching today? Legend of a man, delighted for him.

boojangles

Quote from: mckieran on September 19, 2011, 12:50:59 PM
QuoteOver the whole game I felt that things evened out.

Just because things "evened" out does not mean the ref did a good job.....

Ah will ya quit. He could have booked Kerry lads but he didn't and he could have booked Dublin boys but he didn't.
He could have given some frees to Dublin but he didn't and he could have given some frees to Kerry but he didn't.
It wasn't the best refereeing performance I have ever seen but the best team won on the day. And that's all that matters.

mckieran

QuoteAh will ya quit. He could have booked Kerry lads but he didn't and he could have booked Dublin boys but he didn't.
He could have given some frees to Dublin but he didn't and he could have given some frees to Kerry but he didn't.
It wasn't the best refereeing performance I have ever seen but the best team won on the day. And that's all that matters.

I wasnt taking away from Dublins victory. I was merely pointing out that this "evening out" argument is flawed. I was frustrated yesterday watching the match because I disagreed with almost every decision the ref made. I had no preference who won yesterday, I didnt care it if it was Kerry or Dublin.
Just because a referee is consistent in his wrongness does not mean his perfromance should be overlooked. Likewise, just because the best team won (And that is debatable in yesterdays game, I thought a draw would have been a fair result and if it was a draw, everyone would be saying how a draw was the fair result today) does not mean a referees performance should be overlooked.

Stevie g 8

it builds up the hype of the player when they do things differently.a bit like when mc geeney captained armagh in 2002 he was very serious and then talk of him training the next day to better himself.i reckon they know it hypes them up

Hardy

Shades of Mick O'Connell. I'll bore you youngsters about it sometime, whether you like it or not.

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on September 19, 2011, 02:20:00 PM

John Madden re-defined goalkeeper as the best position to see the big screen.

John Madden should be in charge of the IMF. A safe pair of hands

Denn Forever

I like this guy even more.  From Hogabstand.

Dublin goalkeeper Stephen Cluxton has turned down the opportunity to cash in on his All-Ireland winning heroics.

According to the Irish Sun, the Parnell's clubman - who is a notoriously private person and rarely gives media interviews - could make up to €30,000 from sponsorship deals after kicking the winning free against Kerry last Sunday. However, the report says he is only interested in doing charity work.

"We've told him that he must be mad not doing any publicity with the money that's in it. But he won't do it," said John Honan, who is principal of St. Vincent's CBS, Glasnevin where Cluxton is a member of the teaching staff.

"He says he doesn't want it and he'll only do charity. He's only interested in the game, not the celebrity."

Former Dublin footballer and PR agent Mick O'Keeffe believes Cluxton is the most marketable star in Irish sport at present.

"Some players transcend counties and Cluxton is one of a small number of these. Youngsters from here to Galway would know his name and who he is," O'Keeffe said.

"The biggest stars in Ireland can make up to €50,000 per annum in deals. Counting ad campaigns, sponsorship deals, the value of a free car and so on, I'd say Stephen Cluxton could easily make in excess of €30,000 this year. I'd have clients falling over themselves to sign him up at the moment."
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

cadence

don't know much about him, like his principles though. and just as a thought (this topic has probably been rinsed on here to death, so apologies) i wouldn't have an issue with any gaa player making a few shillings. what are the rules around these types of deals spoken about?

personally, i can't see gaa ever being able to provide the megabucks needed to beget primadonnas like the soccer boys and the game becoming removed from it's grassroots. i could be wrong, but i think it's very unlikely.

muppet

Quote from: Denn Forever on September 22, 2011, 11:50:10 PM
I like this guy even more.  From Hogabstand.

Dublin goalkeeper Stephen Cluxton has turned down the opportunity to cash in on his All-Ireland winning heroics.

According to the Irish Sun, the Parnell's clubman - who is a notoriously private person and rarely gives media interviews - could make up to €30,000 from sponsorship deals after kicking the winning free against Kerry last Sunday. However, the report says he is only interested in doing charity work.

"We've told him that he must be mad not doing any publicity with the money that's in it. But he won't do it," said John Honan, who is principal of St. Vincent's CBS, Glasnevin where Cluxton is a member of the teaching staff.

"He says he doesn't want it and he'll only do charity. He's only interested in the game, not the celebrity."

Former Dublin footballer and PR agent Mick O'Keeffe believes Cluxton is the most marketable star in Irish sport at present.

"Some players transcend counties and Cluxton is one of a small number of these. Youngsters from here to Galway would know his name and who he is," O'Keeffe said.

"The biggest stars in Ireland can make up to €50,000 per annum in deals. Counting ad campaigns, sponsorship deals, the value of a free car and so on, I'd say Stephen Cluxton could easily make in excess of €30,000 this year. I'd have clients falling over themselves to sign him up at the moment."

This appears to be more about Mick O'Keefe than Cluxton to me.
MWWSI 2017

ONeill

Quote from: Denn Forever on September 22, 2011, 11:50:10 PM
However, the report says he is only interested in doing charity work.

If he'd kept that ball Tomas gave him he'd have made a fortune for charity.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.