FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Brilliant performance last night. Seamus Coleman had Ronaldo in his pocket all night, landed him on his arse a few times which was great. Hendrick was also excellent as was Doherty I thought, though wasn't too keen on Doherty wearing a Number 10 jersey??!
A shame they couldn't get the goal to win it.
Kinda of funny in here,some lads so concerned about Ronaldo that they haven't even commented on the actual match or how well their country played,maybe if he still played for Juve they wouldn't be as bothered 🙄
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

seafoid

Kenny had to change things around. Oireland got left behind. The Euros will tell how well the project is going.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Boycey

I could of bet money on laoislad turning it into a Man Utd thing  ;D

laoislad

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 11, 2021, 10:43:02 PM
Ronaldo thrives on that sort of stuff! There is nothing he loves more than being the Villain - or the hero depending on where you are looking from.

Liam Brady very cold and sore on analysis this evening. Results have been up and down, but one has to remember Kenny did not inherit a team full of confidence and direction. Blooding new player, a new system and dealing with the Covid malarkey was not an easy task.

I like football and to see it played properly. I realise it's a results game. But jez, you want to go to be entertained with skill, technique and good positional play.
Someone definitely pissed in Brady's cornflakes before the game. He was grumpy the whole night. I don't think he has too much time for Sadlier.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

imtommygunn

Quote from: laoislad on November 12, 2021, 06:52:12 AM
Brilliant performance last night. Seamus Coleman had Ronaldo in his pocket all night, landed him on his arse a few times which was great. Hendrick was also excellent as was Doherty I thought, though wasn't too keen on Doherty wearing a Number 10 jersey??!
A shame they couldn't get the goal to win it.
Kinda of funny in here,some lads so concerned about Ronaldo that they haven't even commented on the actual match or how well their country played,maybe if he still played for Juve they wouldn't be as bothered 🙄

Brilliant performance I thought. First game I have been to in 2-3 years and the difference in style of play is night and day from last time. Still maybe not going to get loads of goals but I see some room for optimism. I would rather watch that kind of football than the dirge we had before kenny.

Boycey

While the football is easier on the eye Kennys problem will always be that football is a results orientated business. Further down the line the media and the general public will covet a scabby 1-0 win over performances. Have we enough tools at our disposal to play football AND win games

seafoid

It's no different to a GAA team starting with a bunch of talented young lads who know how to win and dumping older fellas with the wrong profile. It takes time for things to start to produce results. 1990s Crossmaglen would be a good example.

Ireland were on a downward spiral for a number of years. The general technical level of opposition teams improved over the same period. So the FAI had no choice.

seafoid

NI are on 5 points with 3 losses, same as BIG before the Portugal match
Same issues about falling behind. Structural changes in English soccer have hurt player development.

Louther

Decent performance and a positive result. Maybe Portugal was there for the taking but Ireland done more than enough to earn the point. If nothing else it's a lot easier to watch and enjoy whilst getting a point against a big European side. In the past we'd have huffed and puffed with dour football and not get anything.

Football is about results and that will be any managers barometer but in my eyes, Kenny deserves the next campaign. Can't see Brady's point about waiting to March for a series of friendlies. If he'd have said wait till after Sunday it may have been more valid.

To get results you need a good defence and looking at it Ireland have that. He's found a way of getting Doherty and Coleman in side together. Duffy back in form a massive help. Have also got pace and movement in the side up front. That will always give you a chance but do we still have an out and out goalscorer? We use to laugh at Robbie Keane banging in goals against "poor" opposition but it's what the game is about and it's missing since he retired.

I think most Ireland teams are going to struggle without that ruthless finisher and it's hard to see him coming along the line. Parrot a lot to do. Idah needs 3 chances to score 1. Robinson hasn't scored much for WBA since last internationals. Ireland will keep it tight but my fear is that they will need to create lots of chances to score goals, other teams have the finisher to score more off less chances.

Set pieces where disappointing last night. Largely due to delivery.

tiempo

Quote from: seafoid on November 12, 2021, 08:51:29 AM
It's no different to a GAA team starting with a bunch of talented young lads who know how to win and dumping older fellas with the wrong profile. It takes time for things to start to produce results. 1990s Crossmaglen would be a good example.

Ireland were on a downward spiral for a number of years. The general technical level of opposition teams improved over the same period. So the FAI had no choice.

This board has officially jumped the shark and it couldn't have happened in a more apt topic or context; the Irish groundball team are now the Crossmaglen of international fitbaw  ;D ;D

imtommygunn

Quote from: Louther on November 12, 2021, 09:16:29 AM
Decent performance and a positive result. Maybe Portugal was there for the taking but Ireland done more than enough to earn the point. If nothing else it's a lot easier to watch and enjoy whilst getting a point against a big European side. In the past we'd have huffed and puffed with dour football and not get anything.

Football is about results and that will be any managers barometer but in my eyes, Kenny deserves the next campaign. Can't see Brady's point about waiting to March for a series of friendlies. If he'd have said wait till after Sunday it may have been more valid.

To get results you need a good defence and looking at it Ireland have that. He's found a way of getting Doherty and Coleman in side together. Duffy back in form a massive help. Have also got pace and movement in the side up front. That will always give you a chance but do we still have an out and out goalscorer? We use to laugh at Robbie Keane banging in goals against "poor" opposition but it's what the game is about and it's missing since he retired.

I think most Ireland teams are going to struggle without that ruthless finisher and it's hard to see him coming along the line. Parrot a lot to do. Idah needs 3 chances to score 1. Robinson hasn't scored much for WBA since last internationals. Ireland will keep it tight but my fear is that they will need to create lots of chances to score goals, other teams have the finisher to score more off less chances.

Set pieces where disappointing last night. Largely due to delivery.

I would largely agree with this. I thought it was a very good performance but I do think we will struggle for goals even against lesser teams which could be the sword Kenny falls on but for me he without a doubt should get another campaign. A lot of players have been lost and it has been a rebuilding.

Portugal looked like they were going to try and sucker punch us but when Pepe went off they  were settling for the draw. The winger they brought on second half stretched us a bit with his pace but thankfully he got subbed.

Armagh18

Quote from: seafoid on November 12, 2021, 08:51:29 AM

Our biggest issue is none of our players are getting game time at a decent level for their clubs bar Coleman and maybe a couple of others.

An Watcher

I think the young boys now have to move across into the European league to get the experience.  Cullen is with anderlecht isn't he? Not saying they'll all make it but they'll have a better chance of breaking into the first teams