Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gold

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Tormund

Quote from: Carlovia on May 10, 2021, 07:04:49 PM
Well done to Antrim from your friends in Carlow.

Was impressed with your team in the MacDonagh and
great to see the progress continue.

Keep it going.

Cheers buddy

John Egans left boot

Quote from: Gold on May 10, 2021, 10:01:47 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 10, 2021, 11:47:39 AM
Antrim have to stay up

Folks question ?? Is mc Manus is a yes man?? I  remember the bold stroke he pulled against Kerry in Tralee 2 years ago as dirty as action as I ever seen

Milltown Row2

Quote from: John Egans left boot on May 10, 2021, 11:48:05 PM
Quote from: Gold on May 10, 2021, 10:01:47 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 10, 2021, 11:47:39 AM
Antrim have to stay up

Folks question ?? Is mc Manus is a yes man?? I  remember the bold stroke he pulled against Kerry in Tralee 2 years ago as dirty as action as I ever seen

Don't understand the first part of your post, but he wouldn't be the one I'd be pulling up for dirty strokes when I've refereed him or watched him over the years, his booking on Sunday was a simple yellow when he rapped the hand of the Clare lad, late challenge no malice. I can't remember the challenge you have mentioned in Tralee so can't comment on it.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

He's not a dirty player any time I have seen him and I have seen plenty of him over the years. He gets a fair bit of attention in the antrim championship and any time I have seen him he's always behaved himself.

Can't comment on what happened in Tralee.

What has a yes man got to do with pulling a dirty stroke or even playing hurling lol.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/antrim-back-in-hurling-s-top-tier-thanks-to-health-of-club-system-1.4560896

Antrim back in hurling's top tier thanks to health of club system
Sunday's win against Clare was their first over an established hurling county since 2012
about 4 hours ago

Seán Moran

Antrim's storming return to the top divisions of the Allianz Hurling League is creating optimism that a new start is possible for the county, who in the past 25 years have slipped from guaranteed All-Ireland semi-finalists to the second grade of the hurling championship.

Back at the top in both league and championship after a barnstorming 2020, winning league promotion and the McDonagh Cup, Antrim hit the ground running on Sunday by defeating Clare, who were unbeaten in last year's group matches, overcoming an early deficit and slugging it out, point for point, in the second half for a famous win.

County chair Ciarán McCavana says that many people in the county have been slightly disorientated by the fall from grace.

"Maybe people my age – I'm 46 – believe Antrim should be at the top table but realistically you only get there by winning games. We've done that, stepped up but that's only by putting in the hard yards with our development squads and our under-17s and under-20s to ensure we stay there. In the past we were a bit in denial and hopefully now we're putting in solid foundations."

He pinpoints how the growing strength of the club game is helping.

"Antrim club hurling is getting stronger and stronger. If you look at last year's championship there were five clubs: Loughgiel and Cushendall from the glens, Dunloy, just on the periphery and then St John's and Rossa in the city. There was just a puck of a ball between the five.

"There's a good spread of city and county."

The county hadn't beaten an established hurling county since the first day of the 2012 league when they defeated Wexford.

Much credit for the impetus has gone to former Tipperary goalkeeper Darren Gleeson, who arrived in Antrim to help Tipp manager Liam Sheedy with some coaching sessions and was ultimately offered the manager's job.

"His CV as a player is impressive and he came up here with Liam Sheedy. He did his first year with Neal Peden (Antrim's first director of hurling) and then took over. It's worked really well. I think the boys appreciate his commitment. He's coming up here three times a week from Tipperary.

"So I suppose nobody's complaining about having to come 30 miles to training!

"He appreciates that we've given him the chance to manage an intercounty team. We saw something in him after he'd done his two years up here. He's done a great job and we're very happy with him."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Tormund

McManus has never been a dirty player, not even close, thats a strange question
He's a legend, one of our best and most comitted hurlers ever.

I dont understand the yes man thing either, another strange question

johnnycool

Quote from: Tormund on May 11, 2021, 10:11:01 AM
McManus has never been a dirty player, not even close, thats a strange question
He's a legend, one of our best and most comitted hurlers ever.

I dont understand the yes man thing either, another strange question
Never saw any dirt in him either the times I saw him play with the Dall.

Not sure about the yes man thing. He likes the media or the media like him, no big deal. IMO.

Jonkunlon

A player gets sent off after the final whistle but before extra time begins. He can be replaced by a sub for extra time, correct???

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Jonkunlon on May 12, 2021, 05:35:40 PM
A player gets sent off after the final whistle but before extra time begins. He can be replaced by a sub for extra time, correct???

Yes and no I believe if the ref doesn't get the team sheet signed before extra time is played he can be replaced, if team sheet is signed then no..

Don't hold me to that  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Baile an tuaigh

I never seen Neil pull a dirty stroke either and I've seen him play many times.  I know him personally hes hurling through and through and more importantly a very nice lad.

Great win against Clare a pity its Kilkenny next but going by last Sunday im very confident Antrim will do very well.

Jonkunlon

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 12, 2021, 06:09:30 PM

Yes and no I believe if the ref doesn't get the team sheet signed before extra time is played he can be replaced, if team sheet is signed then no..

2.6 D ....a player ordered off in any circumstance in normal time may not play in extra time but may be replaced.

This week a referee refused to let a juvenile team play 15 in extra time having sent a player off beforehand.

Kickham csc

Is extra time still officially a new game? If so team can start with 15 players in extra time. My team did this back in 2000 and all was grand, except for the result

imtommygunn

That's what I thought but then if it's after the final whistle is it part of the old game or the new game...

Milltown Row2

Extra time you can start with 15 players, a player sent off in normal time can't return but can be replaced , all yellows are squashed but notes and black cards follow into extra time.