building a house

Started by JPF, July 23, 2009, 01:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarshack

Quote from: Armagh Girl on April 20, 2021, 08:40:30 PM
For those of you who self built, and managed themselves - when sourcing building supplies did you price around at various suppliers or did you just go to 1 main supplier.  Our QS has done an itemised price guide for us, but various buliders, roofers etc say you need to price around.  Any advice would be helpful.

We went between 2 local builders merchants, which ever one was cheaper for the required materials.

One thing I would recommend doing is using Attic Trusses for your roof, our plans had a traditional cut roof but we changed to use Trusses and even though the Attic Trusses were a bit more expensive it means you could potentially use your attic in the future as a games/cinema room etc

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: clarshack on April 21, 2021, 11:06:31 AM
Quote from: Armagh Girl on April 20, 2021, 08:40:30 PM
For those of you who self built, and managed themselves - when sourcing building supplies did you price around at various suppliers or did you just go to 1 main supplier.  Our QS has done an itemised price guide for us, but various buliders, roofers etc say you need to price around.  Any advice would be helpful.

We went between 2 local builders merchants, which ever one was cheaper for the required materials.

One thing I would recommend doing is using Attic Trusses for your roof, our plans had a traditional cut roof but we changed to use Trusses and even though the Attic Trusses were a bit more expensive it means you could potentially use your attic in the future as a games/cinema room etc

You can do that with a cut roof as well. Just a case of using the right timber for the future.

Also, with regard to VAT you can add any receipts in the window after getting your building control cert and submitting your VAT claim so long as you have the claim submitted within the 3 months.

Armagh Girl

Thanks for the advice, thats what i thought.  We are presently using 1 company for the Bricks, Cement etc and trying to decide who to go to for most of the other stuff.  My brother is the Roofer/Joiner/Site Manager so not worrying about the Roofing too much.

dubai2000

Anyone hit me up with what is the best wood stain (clear) for a 75meter fence? Preference is to stain it and leave it for at least 10 years  8)

laceer

Quote from: dubai2000 on April 25, 2021, 07:22:04 PM
Anyone hit me up with what is the best wood stain (clear) for a 75meter fence? Preference is to stain it and leave it for at least 10 years  8)

Have a similar job ahead of me - any recommendations would be much appreciated.

RedHand88

Anyone got mechanical heat recovery ventilation? Is it a spoof or is it any use? Architect seems to think its necessary to get through building control. Could do without it as it seems pretty expensive.

trueblue1234

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 31, 2021, 08:07:01 PM
Anyone got mechanical heat recovery ventilation? Is it a spoof or is it any use? Architect seems to think its necessary to get through building control. Could do without it as it seems pretty expensive.

Got one. Not sure what you mean? It's something that operates in the background and you don't notice anything overly different. We went with very airtight house, not trickle vents etc. So MHRV essential. Meant to filter the air and help in reducing heat loss. But as mentioned, there's never a time when I've went "god that MHRV's a great job". But the house is easy heated, dust doesn't seem to hang in the air as much etc. Seems to do what it's meant to.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

RedHand88

Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 31, 2021, 08:55:08 PM

Got one. Not sure what you mean? It's something that operates in the background and you don't notice anything overly different. We went with very airtight house, not trickle vents etc. So MHRV essential. Meant to filter the air and help in reducing heat loss. But as mentioned, there's never a time when I've went "god that MHRV's a great job". But the house is easy heated, dust doesn't seem to hang in the air as much etc. Seems to do what it's meant to.

Have heard people say they don't notice any difference, bathroom window still needs to be open when in the shower etc.

Nailer

If you are going for an air tight house without trickle window vents and external wall fans in bathrooms, the least you need is a central ventilation system without heat recovery, cost  depending on the number of bathrooms and the size of the  house would be typically £2,500 - £3,000 for a 2,000 ft2 house.
Heat recovery can be added to this if required, personally I don't feel it's worth the extra cost, it is not needed for building control, ventilation is require however.

giveherlong

It's definitely money well spent
No point spending thousands on insulation/airtightness without it
No need for bathroom window open. Will clear shower steam in under an hour
Vent axia is a decent model
Try Homecare in Donaghmore or Atlantic Air in Dunamore/Kildress
There's plenty more suppliers than BEAM out there

trueblue1234

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 31, 2021, 08:58:45 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 31, 2021, 08:55:08 PM

Have heard people say they don't notice any difference, bathroom window still needs to be open when in the shower etc.
The bathroom will steam up, but clears quickly. Think that's the whole point, it'll take the warm air from the bathroom and use it to warm fresh air from outside. Rather than opening a window and freezing the house.  Our system at the time was roughly 4.5k. We needed a ventilation system anyway as we were going for close to passive spec, so took the gamble. It's just one of those things, ticks away in the background and you don't notice it. How much an impact it's actually making on the HR side I don't know
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Hereiam

Your Architect is talkin through his hole if he's telling you building control require it. It's not a requirement.

RedHand88

Quote from: Hereiam on August 01, 2021, 12:23:07 AM
Your Architect is talkin through his hole if he's telling you building control require it. It's not a requirement.

He said it was that or solar panels. Contractors are offering cheaper alternatives, some sort of positive input system?
However architect still adamant that hear recovery ventilation is necessary. He's also pushing for a storm soakaway which I've been warned off by others as it will flood.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 01, 2021, 12:35:28 AM
Quote from: Hereiam on August 01, 2021, 12:23:07 AM

He said it was that or solar panels. Contractors are offering cheaper alternatives, some sort of positive input system?
However architect still adamant that hear recovery ventilation is necessary. He's also pushing for a storm soakaway which I've been warned off by others as it will flood.
The issue with the PIV we have is that it is fitted at a single point and it just blows air through the house to keep the air moving. The brother in law has the MHRV system and it's a far superior job so if you can dig out thr money I'd go for it. As for the comment re. steam in the bathroom, these aren't industrial air-handling units so they're not going generate many air changes per hour - it is a system that tips away in the background keeping your air clean and moving but without you feeling it circulating.

Nailer

Regarding the soakaway, much better if you can connect the storm water from gullies to the main storm line if one is available or in to a nearby stream / river.
If a public storm isn't available and soakaway or sump is the only option; you should locate it in an area on site that is suitable, depending on the amount of surface water to be drained and the type of ground, maybe consider a second sump for good measure lined with a membrane and filled with clean stone.
Main storm line is definitely the preferred option if available.