building a house

Started by JPF, July 23, 2009, 01:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPF

Hi all Ive been a long term reader/fan of this board and rarely have the time to contribute, but am building a 3500 sguare foot house and am looking advice on the following if theres any peoiple with experiences, Id appreciate this, ive seen a lot of stuff so its real experience im looking without the blurb.
1) Efficient heating system - at this stage Im almost certainly not going for ufloor heating - too many scare stories, so I need to go for a different system, assuming rads and probably oil - is there any options? Also insulation needs and eg heat recovery systems / solar panel experiences etc.  Pressured water systems.'
2) Smart home systems - Surround sound in a couple of rooms / lighting / security cameras / bband /tv etc.  What are the options on a sensible enough budget?
Thanks
JPF

The Subbie

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13086.0

Check this fella out, he's from Laois but despite that i'd say he's your man

downtown

hi all, trying to get a house build and looking about the exterior off the house. we had our heart set on stone but its going to cost to much. just wondering is there any other alternatives that is similar to stone than is cheaper? thanks in advance

trueblue1234

Take it you've looked at the cladding? McGonigles do one and is much cheaper than full stone. Are you looking to do the full house in stone? Sometimes just the outshots/ porch/ sunroom can set a house off without the cost off all stone.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: downtown on February 16, 2019, 10:31:15 PM
hi all, trying to get a house build and looking about the exterior off the house. we had our heart set on stone but its going to cost to much. just wondering is there any other alternatives that is similar to stone than is cheaper? thanks in advance

Surely the cost is in the labour regardless of whether you clad in real or manufactured stone.  Agree with TrueBlue, stone as a feature can work best against a rendered finish or in combination with some wood cladding.  Too much stone of a particular hue can be hard to look at long term.

This self-build exhibition is on this week and will have stone dressers and manufacturers:

https://www.facebook.com/events/528577350979039/

In relation to stone have you checked out:

https://www.coolestone.co.uk

http://www.aurastone.co.uk

http://www.naturalstoneindustries.com

Tullylish Stone
41 Blue Road,
Gilford,
Craigavon,
County Armagh,
BT63 6DA

balladmaker

As mentioned by Trueblue1234, McMonagles have a 'Stoneer', which is basically a veneer of real stone facing .... so when it's on, you cannot tell the difference.  I did a porch and sunroom in full stone as they didnt have the stoneer option at the time, but if doing it again, would do it in stoneer, much cheaper and same effect.  I love natural stone on a house.  Have a contact for a brilliant stone mason based in the north but he seems to work everywhere, if you need it, PM me.

giveherlong

Quote from: JPF on July 23, 2009, 01:29:28 PM
Hi all Ive been a long term reader/fan of this board and rarely have the time to contribute, but am building a 3500 sguare foot house and am looking advice on the following if theres any peoiple with experiences, Id appreciate this, ive seen a lot of stuff so its real experience im looking without the blurb.
1) Efficient heating system - at this stage Im almost certainly not going for ufloor heating - too many scare stories, so I need to go for a different system, assuming rads and probably oil - is there any options? Also insulation needs and eg heat recovery systems / solar panel experiences etc.  Pressured water systems.'
2) Smart home systems - Surround sound in a couple of rooms / lighting / security cameras / bband /tv etc.  What are the options on a sensible enough budget?
Thanks
JPF

There's an excellent group on Facebook: Self Build & Rennovations Ireland
All your questions will be answered on there if you use the search facility
Self build show also in titanic belfast this coming week. Tickets can be got for free on Self Build live Belfast on Facebook

Ambrose

Quote from: giveherlong on February 17, 2019, 11:57:05 AM
Thanks
JPF

Self build show also in titanic belfast this coming week. Tickets can be got for free on Self Build live Belfast on Facebook

You'd like to think he has the house built and the family nearly reared in the ten years between the two posts.

You can't live off history and tradition forever

armaghniac

Quote from: Ambrose on February 17, 2019, 04:19:42 PM
Quote from: giveherlong on February 17, 2019, 11:57:05 AM
Thanks
JPF

You'd like to think he has the house built and the family nearly reared in the ten years between the two posts.

Sure you'd need 10 years to populate a 3500 sq ft house, unless you had several wives.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

awideisneverasgood

Quote from: downtown on February 16, 2019, 10:31:15 PM

Recently completed an extension to our house and put some of the cladding on the face of the new extension and the existing porch. Very happy with it turned out and a big saving on stone.

https://www.lbsproducts.com/natural-stone-products/z-stone

Mikhail Prokhorov

i thought people were broke these days and pleading poverty  ???

From the Bunker

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on February 17, 2019, 09:03:01 PM
i thought people were broke these days and pleading poverty  ???

Poor and broke people Buy and build houses too!

marty34

We have crows who sit on the guttering directly above the back door.  Unfortunately, as you'd guess, they poop and it falls down on the path at the back door.  They roost in a clump of trees about 200 yards away but seem to use our roof as a place to stop before they head to the trees.

We've a big plastic owl but not much use.  Somebody told me that I need a pretend owl who's head moves occasionally. 

Any ideas?

trailer

Quote from: marty34 on February 24, 2019, 12:54:55 PM
We have crows who sit on the guttering directly above the back door.  Unfortunately, as you'd guess, they poop and it falls down on the path at the back door.  They roost in a clump of trees about 200 yards away but seem to use our roof as a place to stop before they head to the trees.

We've a big plastic owl but not much use.  Somebody told me that I need a pretend owl who's head moves occasionally. 

Any ideas?
Something is attracting them. Have you a farm nearby?
Few ideas.
Shoot a few and hang them up. Not ideal outside the back door.
Poison. But you never heard that from me.
I've seen people with cds hung up light reflecting scares them apparently. Downside is your house looks like it's had a makeover by a hippy.

TabClear

Quote from: marty34 on February 24, 2019, 12:54:55 PM

Any ideas?

I be heard if you contact NIE and say they are roosting on power lines they will send you out a cd of hawk noises!! No idea if it's effective or how you would even go about it!