Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 02, 2021, 09:55:19 PM
The last one was long. It was supposedly a wrong turn by the lead car rather than the course being measured wrong.

Embarrassing.

laoislad

How did the Belfast Marathon go today?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

I'd couple of friends doing London today, one was his first very respectable 4.29 and the other one finished 3.29.58 seconds!! One of the runners is a cancer survivor too.

Watched some of it today. Some set up
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

SHEEDY

Quote from: laoislad on October 03, 2021, 07:41:26 PM
after yesterday it was hard to get any worse. Never heard many complaints about today, got the bus to the start line and again after the race back to the city centre and everything seemed to go well. One complaint I would have is the lack of toilets at the start.
Despite a tough head wind in places i managed to end up with a pb of 2hrs 58, was obviously happy with that 😛
nil satis nisi optimum

Milltown Row2

Quote from: SHEEDY on October 03, 2021, 08:29:18 PM
after yesterday it was hard to get any worse. Never heard many complaints about today, got the bus to the start line and again after the race back to the city centre and everything seemed to go well. One complaint I would have is the lack of toilets at the start.
Despite a tough head wind in places i managed to end up with a pb of 2hrs 58, was obviously happy with that 😛

Difficult course? Have ran most of the older course but was it quick considering your pb?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Mr that course is rough enough. I did the relay two years ago up round falls, through peace walls and into north Belfast - that's definitely rough going for full marathoners. I definitely saw a lot of people stopping there though I was in a team who were round the four hour mark when I started so, no offense to anyone, wouldn't have been the elite end. Belfast , this course and the last, is not known for being quick. The winner today I think has a pb significantly quicker than what he did today.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 03, 2021, 10:08:31 PM
Mr that course is rough enough. I did the relay two years ago up round falls, through peace walls and into north Belfast - that's definitely rough going for full marathoners. I definitely saw a lot of people stopping there though I was in a team who were round the four hour mark when I started so, no offense to anyone, wouldn't have been the elite end. Belfast , this course and the last, is not known for being quick. The winner today I think has a pb significantly quicker than what he did today.

Might start getting back at it again, whether that's full marathons or back into tri's but missing that atmosphere

laoislad

Sub 3,  brilliant, well done.

SHEEDY

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 03, 2021, 10:03:00 PM

Difficult course? Have ran most of the older course but was it quick considering your pb?
definitely isnt an easy course, into North Belfast was a real drag and ormeau rd is always a killer.
nil satis nisi optimum

imtommygunn

Great time btw Sheedy. Not easy breaking 3 anywhere never mind Belfast. A good few ones I would have trained with did it and all suffered a bit at the end.

My claim to fame is I once beat someone who finished in the top ten however that was a long long time ago lol.

Tommy Hughes at 60/61 ran 2:30 in the London marathon. The times that guy runs are ridiculous. His son ran 2:29.

laoislad

imtommygunn

I knew things sounded like they'd gone too smoothly lol.

belfast a big city marathon that does seem to get numbers and this year they have been lucky with Dublin being cancelled so got very big numbers. There is a feel good factor of it round the city etc but that doesn't escape the fact that the organisers are a disgrace.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 04, 2021, 12:57:22 PM
I knew things sounded like they'd gone too smoothly lol.

belfast a big city marathon that does seem to get numbers and this year they have been lucky with Dublin being cancelled so got very big numbers. There is a feel good factor of it round the city etc but that doesn't escape the fact that the organisers are a disgrace.

Which is strange as the wife was heading over to the daughters and roads were closed.

I headed over later around 1pm and on the Falls some roads were closed but not entirely enforced! Boys ignoring the signs, probably more marshals would have helped and some courtesy from drivers.

Eamonnca1

I tip my hat to marathon runners. I ran a 10k yesterday and got it tight enough. Would love to commit to a marathon at some point. Would there be any value in starting with a half marathon? My level of fitness is I could go a 5k with no training, a 10k with about a week of preparation, and I've never done a half.

RedHand88

Quote from: laoislad on October 04, 2021, 09:42:17 AM
https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/3EIFRX7NR35Q/img-20211003-wa0011.jpg

Would well believe this. I've done legs of it before and been stopped by a high vis directing traffic/runners.