Apartment in Queens New York

Started by anportmorforjfc, April 27, 2015, 04:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anportmorforjfc

Lads, 2 of us heading out to New York at the end of May for the summer to try and find a bit of work, have a couple of contacts out there but nothing major. With regards to an apartment does any of you lads out there know where I would best be looking online. Have someone over there who can check them out for us before we go. Looking for something basic enough. What about work? Know a couple of ones who have got bar work handy enough in Irish bars, would that be a realistic possibility? Heading in four weeks so would need to get something sorted. Thanks in advance for any help.

J70

Craigs List usually has a good bunch of stuff listed, especially if you know which neighbourhood you want to live in. Closer in to Manhattan and closer to subway lines will be more expensive.
http://newyork.craigslist.org/search/que/aap
Queens real estate companies should have rental listings too.

Problem is that the better ones go quickly. And then you have the issues of one year leases and so on. If its just for the summer, you might be better with a sublet, although those can get expensive.

http://newyorkcity.sublet.com/  234 listed for Queens at the moment on this website.

As for pub work, I think your best bet would be to hit the bigger Irish ones in Manhattan, especially around midtown. I know a few people in the trade, and I'm pretty sure the places they work take on young Irish people in summer months.

The Iceman

I would try for accommodation in Hoboken NJ. Quick path train ride into manhattan and 1/3 of the rent. Its a university town so plenty of bars and restaurants but it quietens down over the summer and a lot of people sub-let their houses/rooms. Craigslist will be your best bet.

There are loads of bars and restaurants to find work - The Irish American has a few Armagh heads in there and O'Nare's - loads of spots. You just have to hunt for it. I wouldn't be asking for bar work as you need to know what you're at. Seek work as a bar back or server and be open to working weekends and you're grand - It's all about the hussle.
Reach out to me on PM if you need anything
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight